SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a shock. Still speechless. I purchased a new drivers side mirror complete ( don’t ask, I hit it on an entry ramp marker) it’s a ProParts part for 200 usd from eEuro and it’s WELL MADE!! Alloy body. Etc. Ya it needs painting. That’s a given
For comparison I had purchased for 150 Canadian , a used one from LKQ and had to take it back as it was damaged .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I've had a couple good experiences with their parts and one really awful one, so overall it has been a wash for me. Glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
Do you know who actually made the fuel pump? They're typically stamped with the manufacturer's name. I'm sure ProParts must source them from somewhere else.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wonder if ProParts just bought up NOS parts for things like that?

Is the mirror one of the auto-dimming mirrors?

·
Registered
607 Posts
On a related topic, does anybody know if there's a way to replace just the rubber gasket that's between the housing and the cover? Mine is cracked, tends to happen with exposed rubber over the course of 15 years.

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero
20 Posts
I've had a couple good experiences with their parts and one really awful one, so overall it has been a wash for me. Glad it worked out for you!
If you don't mind, do share the parts that were decent and the one you had a bad experience with. I have been steering clear of proparts, but @qwikredline's post (and a few about their poly subframe bushings) seem to suggest that there may be some parts that are worth a shot.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
I've had a set of their poly rear axle bushings on my 1997 900 for quite a few years now, and have no complaints. I know that particular part doesn't apply to the 9-5, but you have to figure there aren't too many ways to screw up a polyurethane bushing. One part of theirs I do have on my 9-5 wagon that's been decent is the grab handle on the lower edge of the hatch. The original was broken when I bought the car, so I replaced it with another factory part. That one broke within a couple of years, so I cheaped out and bought the ProParts version. So far it's lasted longer than the factory version, and I use that handle just about every time I close the hatch.

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero
20 Posts
I've had a set of their poly rear axle bushings on my 1997 900 for quite a few years now, and have no complaints. I know that particular part doesn't apply to the 9-5, but you have to figure there aren't too many ways to screw up a polyurethane bushing. One part of theirs I do have on my 9-5 wagon that's been decent is the grab handle on the lower edge of the hatch. The original was broken when I bought the car, so I replaced it with another factory part. That one broke within a couple of years, so I cheaped out and bought the ProParts version. So far it's lasted longer than the factory version, and I use that handle just about every time I close the hatch.
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I do have to replace the subframe bushings on my 9-5 sometime soon, and I am leaning towards Proparts (did the torque rod bushing from PowerFlex but those got expensive quick) for those.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you don't mind, do share the parts that were decent and the one you had a bad experience with. I have been steering clear of proparts, but @qwikredline's post (and a few about their poly subframe bushings) seem to suggest that there may be some parts that are worth a shot.
ProParts tie rod end totally failed at 3000 km. I posted pictures on a thread here good luck finding it. ProParts read 9-5 sway bar links were wrong would not fit ( silly rubber design) it was probably a 9-3 part)

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
By the way, Cookstown has a 2008-ish 9-5 wagon in colour code 309 (snow silver) and black interior. Driver door mirror is perfect, passenger side is bad (they aren't dimming mirrors, though rear-view is). Most of the body panels are in very good condition, and the interior is nice as well. There's a very nice sport steering wheel with perforated leather; the airbag already removed. The tailgate is missing, the motor is gone, but there are potentially parts there.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
By the way, Cookstown has a 2008-ish 9-5 wagon in colour code 309 (snow silver) and black interior. Driver door mirror is perfect, passenger side is bad (they aren't dimming mirrors, though rear-view is). Most of the body panels are in very good condition, and the interior is nice as well. There's a very nice sport steering wheel with perforated leather; the airbag already removed. The tailgate is missing, the motor is gone, but there are potentially parts there.
Just saw your post. I will see if I can find pictures online; does not show in inventory. I call

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Just saw your post. I will see if I can find pictures online; does not show in inventory. I call
Ha ha, no, I don't think Cookstown has any pictures of what's in the yard.

You can ask me, I can give some descriptions. Like I said, the steering wheel is very nice indeed. However, the key cylinder, which worked well (key was in the car) is mysteriously missing. Guess where I went Monday?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts