SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My general rule of thumb is if it takes longer than half an hour to change out of the car, buy OEM. If it's less, and it's not going to break the car, just use the cheapest, or pick off from my parts car. $17 vs $100 definitely supports this too. I obviously wouldn't do this is if 9/10 people were telling me not to, but all I need is a few success stories

Also I agree with Cap, I'm more inclined to do this to my daily driver, but I would never put cheap parts on my more "weekend" '99 9-3, in which case I would buy the OEM mount (still not sure how to feel about poly)

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I had have had bad luck with proparts. The few times I bought their products they all failed. Eeuroparts stood behind them and let me switch out the failed parts for a better brand. I have a brand new Proparts torque rod sitting on my tool box I am afraid to installed. Right out of the box the center bushing has at least a 1/4 inch of play between it and the bracket. I might just leave my poly bushing in the mount.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
...in which case I would buy the OEM mount (still not sure how to feel about poly)
FWIW, polyurethane is a mixed bag. I replaced the six front subframe bushings on my 2006 with poly due to ease & speed of installation over rubber OEM. (2-3 hours vs. 8-10 hours). What I like about them is that the handling is tighter and you get better steering/road feel. The car feels awesome with poly, and while cruising down the freeway it has a tank-like stability to it (that's kind of a Saab trait anyway, but the poly makes it even more pronounced). What I don't like is increased harshness. You feel the vibration of the engine more, especially when accelerating. Idle vibration is even worse (and it already sucks on this car anyway). And vibrations with poly are worse when it's cold. I'd probably still do it again though. The pros (for me) outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have had the pro parts torque rod for 3 years, so far so good. It's function is rather simple, and its replacement is easy. If it breaks I will just simply replace it with another.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts