SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know proparts is crap, but it seems like the only option for the Torque Rod Mount is either Proparts or the OEM one. $17 vs $99. It seems that the Hutchinson brand (who I believe was actually OEM for 9-5's) is not selling specifically the torque rod mount any more, or something. I can't find them online. I found a Hutchinson torque rod mount on eBay for $45. Was sent a Proparts mount. Pretty lame. All the reliable vendors (FCP, eeuro, etc) advertise it as Out of Stock

Anyways, my question is has anyone had at least a little bit of luck with a proparts torque rod mount?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have never had a problem with ProParts and don't understand why everyone bashes them. As for the torque rod mount, are you referring to the front or rear? I replaced both, and both seem to be just as good as OEM.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the bottom of the engine, vaguely next to the oil pan

I have read some anecdotes about them falling apart very easily. However, since it seems so easy to replace and not catastrophic if it does, I feel somewhat inclined to use the proparts mount

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yea mine looks like that, right behind the radiator. The only difference between that one and mine is on the small end, mine has the little wings with bolt holes in them. I'm pretty sure my ride is an older model as opposed to yours tho. But the mount seems to work just fine, I haven't driven too far on it yet as I just installed it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I believe the older 9-5's have two engine mounts down there, the rear being somewhat useless which is why they got rid of it, or so I've read

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes there is 2 on the firewall side on my car. one I replaced under the starter, which is the one you are probably talking about. it is a long arm type with the same big end as the front one, but for the auto trans, there is a rubber bushed hole with a thread sticking out instead of the wings. It was hard finding one for auto trans, as most sellers have the long one with wings like on the front mount for manual trans, so you are probably correct. I figured it was there for a reason on mine so I would just replace it. I replaced all the mounts except the rear one above the PS rack. Those are Hutchinson. I did some research and it seems that mount is the same for auto and manual trans on my model/year, but I don't know if that goes for different year car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You could also try some powerflex bushings, but they are way stiffer and do not damp that good. I was thinking about modifying one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You could also try some powerflex bushings, but they are way stiffer and do not damp that good. I was thinking about modifying one.
Yes that is an idea as well. I sent an email to them once and they said send a link to the part. I sent a link showing the parts I wanted to bush and they never replied LOL. They could have at least responded and said they don't have anything OH well. If you modify one please let us know how it goes and how it works out on the car, it would be interesting to "see".

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wow that’s cool, I wish I would have seen that before I ordered the other ones. They are cheaper than the whole arm for sure (although adding shipping to the states for me might negate that). Ahhh well, live and learn

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would the powerflex ones be more for a performance car? I definitely value comfort over performance on my wagon

·
Registered
304 Posts
Would the powerflex ones be more for a performance car? I definitely value comfort over performance on my wagon
In the text at the powerflex page linked above, it refers owners of diesel to a different model bush that is softer. I wonder if it fits and is just a lower durometer? Might be worth an ask to powerflex as an option for those wanting something better quality than proparts, with similar "feel" to the OE but much cheaper?

·
Registered
236 Posts
be careful, the types differ for manual and automatic car. So far I only found Diesel for manual.
As I said: the original one has intenionally some play in the bushing to eliminate vibration transfer, for example at idle conditions. As soon as the engine tilts a little bit you get strong counterforce by touching the rubberblock.
the powerflex, as well as other PU bushings, mostly do not copy this behaviour. they prevent more movement of the engine at the cost of undamped vibrations transfer. At least they try to increase comfort a little bit by cut outs. For more comfort these might have to be increased.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow that’s cool, I wish I would have seen that before I ordered the other ones. They are cheaper than the whole arm for sure (although adding shipping to the states for me might negate that). Ahhh well, live and learn
they should be available in US as well

most times it should be sufficient to change the lower bushing, the top ones usually lasts longer.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
The downside to those poly bushings is you're going to introduce more vibrations into the cabin, especially at idle. Pelican Parts says that they still have the Hutchinson mount for $46.25, but I can see that it's out of stock just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I have never had a problem with ProParts and don't understand why everyone bashes them. As for the torque rod mount, are you referring to the front or rear? I replaced both, and both seem to be just as good as OEM.
because their parts fail often and early. For example, tie rod end 4000 km. junk. etc

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The downside to those poly bushings is you're going to introduce more vibrations into the cabin, especially at idle. Pelican Parts says that they still have the Hutchinson mount for $46.25, but I can see that it's out of stock just about everywhere else.
exactly. The poly has no memory, so it ovalizes the holes where it is mounted and then you have a flop dick mount doing squat. aside from added vibration as the poly has no real isolation capacity. Saab needs no help with idle vibrations, they perfected it with good quality mounts notwithstanding

1 - 20 of 45 Posts