SaabCentral Forums banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Truly a labor of love! You have rekindled a fire in me; When I got home yesterday I got my 90 Vert running again and decided to continue SPGing the old girl. I actually dragged the frozen rear brakes down the driveway and into the street and got them freed up! Today I'm going to go out and re-evaluate the 85 SPG (the last of 5 various years I had at one time, 4 of which are gone) And determine weather I can save it. Thank you, Keep in touch.
-G9

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Pictures coming soon!!
I went to the shop today to drop off the hardware for the hood. It's going on tomorrow and, depending on the availability of a flatbed, will be towed to my house tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday morning.

The shop owner couldn't stand that I couldn't afford to get the engine bay done and that it looked 'like crap' compared to the rest of the car. So, he used the leftover paint to scuff up the bay and paint it (with the engine in place). I am sure that there will be overspray in spots, but damn, it looks good.

This is freaking awesome.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
ok.. so, started reassembly yesterday - which was mostly unboxing parts that have been off the car for 3+ years. So, 4+ hours of work resulted in very little progress.

I have a question for those that have an earlier 99. The rear marker lights don't have a socket configuration, but rather look like the bulb is placed in the metal bracket (it acts as the ground as well - it appears) with the power feed being some sort of tab that has a metal tab that puts power to the base of the bulb.

I may be missing the connector pieces, but am not sure. So, if any of you can take a picture of how your marker lights are plugged in, I can see what I may - or may not - be missing.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Update (no pictures yet).
  • All lights but one headlight group installed
  • Wipers installed and tested.
  • Rubber moldings mostly installed
  • Rear defroster unit mostly wired
  • Rear windows installed

Challenges:
  • Car won't stay running (but turns over)
  • Turn signals aren't flashing (almost like they're not getting enough power
  • Brake lights are powered 100% of the time.

Making progress..

· Registered
351 Posts
very jealous of your real paint booth :cry:

Check fuel pressure etc and for vacuum leaks.

I see LED indicators. these dont play well with old flasher circuits that are based on higher incandescent amp draws. Idk what this saab has, but you can buy LED compatible flasher modules (3 connections instead of two)

Brake issue literally just happened to me when reassembling my 9-5... brake booster ended up in a different place somehow and the brake switch under the dash was no longer touching.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Good morning,
I have a fuel pressure gauge ready to install, but just need a warmer day so that I can get the car out of the garage and not risk fuel spilling all over the garage floor.
As to the LEDs, I actually worked with the lead engineer from the company that I bought the wiring harness from (American Autowire) and he both created for me a custom jumper, but also pointed me toward where I could buy a flasher relay that allows for LEDs rather than incandescent bulbs. I haven't gone into the fuse block yet, but I wager that all of the dust from the body shop got into the crevices and I just need to blow them out..

Finally on the brakes, I was thinking about it last night and I bet it's my fault in that I probably wired the actual piston / switch backwards and grounded it out - completing the circuit. So, I will go under the dash (maybe even tonight) and tackle it and the fuse block so that I can try to find out about the turn signals.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts