SaabCentral Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
There's no useful baffling in any of these tanks (which in and of itself is baffling...) so when there's little gas in the tank it just doesn't get picked up. The dual pump system & black plastic bucket in the early '80s was designed to fix this issue, but earlier car you just gotta have more gas than you think in there. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Update: Added the BG to about 4 gallons of fresh fuel.. The engine started knocking, squealing (so loud that I am sure my neighbors were saying WTF is that noise - even with my garage closed) and revved to about 2k.. did that for about 30 seconds, then it all stopped.. The engine now runs smoothly, quietly and warms up properly.. all I can think is that the combination of the bad gas and residue of old fluids just made it (the engine) run harder than it needed.. Now that it's cleaned out, she purrs like the proverbial kitten and is making all the right noises.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Latest update: Had the exhaust completely redone. If you ever need work done, I easily suggest going to Ed's Custom Exhaust in Springfield, MA. If you ever need Automotive Restoration done in the Enfield CT region, stay away from the shop that I started with (I won't say their name, but they are in Enfield, CT and tout their Automotive Restoration services).

Anyway, my old exhaust had the muffler in backwards, it was hanging (marginally) on one hanger and was rubbing the body.. now, it has a proper resonator, a magnaflow muffler, 4 hanger locations and the tail pipe follows the body shell so cleanly.

It no longer has that boy racer sound.. it has a good, solid semi-sport sound and the exhaust flow just seems better. Ed built the exhaust himself, told me that he loves doing these custom jobs and he is a true craftsman... and it just looks good.

Next on the list is dropping the gas tank and having it refurbished. While they are in there, I am going to see if they can run a line to the very bottom of the tank so that I can avoid the low fuel issues that Justin called out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Mine is one of the original metal ones. I made the mistake of having it 'refurbished' 4+ years ago and all they did was do a basic cleaning and then coat it with a polymer that breaks down over time. It gummed up 2 fuel pumps and fuel filters. So, I am going to drain it, drop it and take it to a shop that will cut it open, clean it, coat it and rebuild it totally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine is one of the original metal ones. I made the mistake of having it 'refurbished' 4+ years ago and all they did was do a basic cleaning and then coat it with a polymer that breaks down over time. It gummed up 2 fuel pumps and fuel filters. So, I am going to drain it, drop it and take it to a shop that will cut it open, clean it, coat it and rebuild it totally.
Don't cut it. I refurbished a steel gas tank on my classic car, My 72 Opel Gt. I pulled the tank,(no mean feat), Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light
used East woods gas tank refurbishing Kit POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit or https://por15.com/products/fuel-tank-repair-kit. Por is a few dollars cheaper but both will get you there. I've used PORs product on a military vehicle I collect, still working as of yesterday. Here's a couple of pictures of my classic stuff. Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The company that refurbished my tank before coated it with something that actually turns the gas red, so I can't do the normal drop and shake cleaning process because it won't get everything out. So, to be safe, I just want to sand blast the hell out of it and be sure that I got all the old coating out. Besides, if a better fuel pickup tube can be added at the same time, I can actually not worry about fuel starvation when I get below 1/3 tank.

POR is an awesome product though.. I've used it on the floor pans and it holds up to everything so far.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts