SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Starting this thread here as a project thread for my '99 9-5 2.0t auto as I've done quite a lot to it and have more plans + parts on my shelf that's gonna drop in soon ..

History:
Picked the car up end of March 2019. It was missing an MOT and according to the MOT it needed some bulbs, a new handbrake cable + shoes and an exhaust repair. It£ was gonna go to the wrecker and be crushed to make tin-cans if someone didn't pick it up. I saw the ad on facebook, and for about 500£, the car was mine. I've had a couple 9-5's in the past, but having been without one for a whole year, I was having saab-withdrawals and couldn't resist it anymore!

What I didn't know untill I was gonna drive it home (700 kilometers) was that one of the brake-pipes going over the fuel tank had sprung leak and I had about 50% braking power and a master cylinder that I had to keep refilling...
.. This is gonna be "fun" I thought to myself and decided to drive it as I could stop the car no problem and just had to keep topping the reservoir.

Needless to say, I took it very easy, kept good distance and used the manual selection gears on the auto to do the braking.

When I got to the mountain pass (keep in mind, this is Norway ;) ) it was closed, and I had to sleep in the car untill next morning in -12*c outside temp :p

Plans:
- 3" downpipe (Bought, not installed yet)
- Big Intercooler (Bought, not installed yet)
- Spoiler (ofc a small one) (Bought, not installed yet, needs paint too)
- New wheels and tires
- 2002 intake and injectors (Parted out my old car, have this already)
- Tune it with t7 suite (Ongoing project)
- Wideband o2, wired up to the ECU (Recieveing it in the next few days, Innovate LC-2)
- Higher flowing injectors
- TD04-19t turbo (Recieving it in the next few days)

Target: 300hp

Some pictures from the trip after buying it..

Pics from the "view" the next day as the mountain pass opened again:

Finally back home

First I had to fix the wiring harness for the trunk which had several broken wires where the wires bend as the hatch closes. Chosen method was attaching a new wire to the old one, pull it through the wire-boot and solder and heat shrink it in both ends where it doesn't see any strain in terms of bending. I pretty much had to replace the entire harness going through the boot

And voila ... "CHECK OK"!

Next up was replacing bulbs in both headlights, signals and fog lights since they were all either missing, blown or discoloured..
Also replaced the rear emblem with a brand new OEM one

Thanks for reading, more coming!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Handbrake assembly had to be renewed .. I changed out EVERYTHING in there from the handbrake lever all the way back (cable, shoes, adjusting screw, springs etc.) Pic is ofc from before doing this, forgot to take a pic after :p

After me and my friend changed wrenching "garage"/local ..

Last on the list of mayor thing was an exhaust leak at the clamps. I fixed those and took it for MOT, but he wasn't happy that my flex pipe was leaking (which I wasnt really aware of). Back to the workshop ... :p

Mocked up a new flex pipe re-using the old flanges

We also made some changes to the exhaust tips ... :D The old ones were nice, but they wouldn't sit right because of the mufflers hitting the floor of the car.. Decided to delete the mufflers, change the tips and powder coat them black for some "stealth" :p

Ready for a new round of MOT :x

Aaaaaand ... Finally road legal again! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got her on new wheels yesterday! Original 18 inch Saab 10-spoke with Federal RS595 tyres. Looking good in my eyes!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Very nice!

is this an Aero car? In the US that did not start till MY 2000, but yours seems to have an aero lip. I know your market probably also had a 2.0 as well that we never had in a 9-5 (in the US).

Tell us more abut the dual exhaust, that must have been put on by the PO?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice!

is this an Aero car? In the US that did not start till MY 2000, but yours seems to have an aero lip. I know your market probably also had a 2.0 as well that we never had in a 9-5 (in the US).

Tell us more abut the dual exhaust, that must have been put on by the PO?

No, it’s not an aero. Aero’s first model year was my2000, so that’s the same for Europe. But I believe they were delivered with these lips etc. when it was an SE model.

First owner did spend a lot of money on it though. Might have been added back then. It sits on Koni dampers and H&R springs and powerflex bushings, and it’s a weapon on the road if compared to a standard suspension 9-5 98-01.

Dual exhaust is something like a JT exhaust I believe. I did like the oval tips, but after deleting the mufflers it got a nice and mellow tone and fitment was much better.

Straight pipe from middle muffler and back now. 2.5" exhaust.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Love it, you've already saved it in my eyes. Anything else you do to it is simply a gift :)

Very jealous of those wheels, my absolute favourite 9-5 wheel and very hard to find over here.

I wonder if you will want to swap in a 2.3 at some point.. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did that strut brace come from?
I believe it's from Speedparts sweden. Owner before PO did a lot to this car and put a lot of love into it.

PO was not giving it much love and was about to sell it to the wrecker... :(

Love it, you've already saved it in my eyes. Anything else you do to it is simply a gift :)

Very jealous of those wheels, my absolute favourite 9-5 wheel and very hard to find over here.

I wonder if you will want to swap in a 2.3 at some point.. :)
Thank you! Well, it's saved, but of course there's always more potential :cheesy:

The wheels were a steal. A friend of mine who I helped a lot with his T5 converted c900 bought a parts car 9-5 which had these fitted ... I got them for about $150 as a friend price. Wheels are without a scratch or curb-mark, and tires are just about brand new!

I'll probably run this engine 'till it cracks a piston or something like that (I'm gonna get it up to around the 300-320hp territory), then swap it for a 2.3. These engines are literally thrown at you over here for nothing. Sadly lots of 9-5's are being parted out :nono;

·
Registered
480 Posts
Does look good ;ol;

How does the 2.0 compare to the 2.3? A general enquiry to all really and I don't mean just on paper. Everyone bangs on about the 2.3 but obviously the 2.0 is cheaply and easily unrestricted. 2.0 9-5s are also widely available over here in the UK but for some reason I tend to skip past them when I'm browsing Autotrader.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does look good ;ol;

How does the 2.0 compare to the 2.3? A general enquiry to all really and I don't mean just on paper. Everyone bangs on about the 2.3 but obviously the 2.0 is cheaply and easily unrestricted. 2.0 9-5s are also widely available over here in the UK but for some reason I tend to skip past them when I'm browsing Autotrader.
It's hard to compare for me since I've only had manual saabs in the past, and they were all 2.3 (both aero and lpt). But I do notice that with a stage 1 program, power comes on much later in the powerband, but this could also be due to the ancient tech auto-box in this car. Because of how that box is geared, I'm at the speed limit when it really starts pulling :roll::lol:

With more mods, I heard they even out though. But stock for stock, or stage 1 for stage 1, the 2.3 feels stronger for sure.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree, the 2.3 is a real step up from the 2.0 in pure oomph. Amazing what a difference it makes.

$150 for those wheel with tyres is just amazing! Hope you find more deals like that. As you say, you're in the right place for bits of old Saab, and throwing a 2.3 in with the same performance parts later is no real drama. You could also take the time to build the motor while you're driving the 2.0.

Over here we at least can skip past the "soak this bolt for 24hrs before undoing" parts of most guides - basically no corrosion here. I guess I'll take that over bargain wheels!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gave her some love last night with a good thorough cleaning and some scenic photos ... Turned out pretty good :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This just went from "Saving a 9-5" to "I'm gonna blow up a 2.0 or the auto and get a 2.3 and manual transmission" with these parts ordered ... :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice!! With the wideband and tuned correctly I predict the trans will go first!

;)

Some people say my pistons will go first at those levels, but with the wideband to keep an eye at things, and tuning fuel correctly for my exact setup, I’m thinking it’s actually gonna be pretty reliable..

I’ll order some 630cc or better injectors aswell to make sure it can meet the demand

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got started doing the electric seats. For now only one is in, and fan and I-bus is not connected. But I'm gonna get those wired up aswell for full OEM functionality

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts