SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i got oil pressure and temp gauges and was wondering where to mount them and i wanted them to be clean looking, and not flashy up in my face, something subtle. so i sat in the car awhile and thought and heres the idea i came up with and the results.

---by the way, next time, im using a block of wood then using that wood peice to make my fiberglass mold.

first is the location of mounting my custom panel for my gauges (i had to trim the side bars off from the cubby hole for it to fit--

then started with cardboard for the general shaping and size

then cut out a peice of aluminum in the shape, then realized ummm i need it to angle up and over a bit so now i had to start forming it up with bondo.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
then lot of work forming the right shape and size

then once i had it all sanded down and in the right shape, paint-

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
then just to show my boost gauge set up, just using a gauge cup and its afixed to the dash (i didnt want a bulky pod)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sorry for all the pictures but i wanted to show progress of this even though i did go about making this a little wrong. a ton of bondo!!!!!! i didnt thoroughly think the angling part very well before hand. so this is the mock up and i might get a block of wood and start making another one for the fiberglass mold. a guy i know here has seen my progress of this and is offering to buy one off me so im going to consider making more and selling if theres any interest. the way i did it here was a TON of work. it doesnt look like it but it was a PITA!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm still considering doing the light switch location, but now Im having doubts. I may wait and get an a pillar pod.

I also dont konw where to splice the boost line in.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9-3sleeper said:
I'm still considering doing the light switch location, but now Im having doubts. I may wait and get an a pillar pod.

I also dont konw where to splice the boost line in.
go sit in your car at a normal driving position, and just glance down at the headlight switch location, dont move your head or neck act like your driving. the position i sit at, the wheel blocks view on the switch location thats why i didnt put it there. i didnt want to do a a pillar pod just cause to me it looks bulky, just doesnt please me. i cant seem to find the t-7 boost gauge install walk through. sorry i will try to find it for you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Thanks yeah, i really have no trouble seeing it at the lightswitch, but i dont know if I want to mess with re location, everybody tells me its an easy job but it looks like a pain in the rear. The a pillar may just be better for me. I dont know though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9-3sleeper said:
Thanks yeah, i really have no trouble seeing it at the lightswitch, but i dont know if I want to mess with re location, everybody tells me its an easy job but it looks like a pain in the rear. The a pillar may just be better for me. I dont know though.
just figure out what you wanna do. and really the headlight switch if you leave your drl on all the time you can just put the switch in the full on position and tuck it up under the dash, or cut a small hole and mount it lower down on the dash. its all about what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I use my headlight switch too - so I relocated it to the kick panel below the dashboard.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ParaMedic_Saab said:
sleet, did you use a filter plate to run the gauges too ?
i dont have the actual gauges fully hooked up yet. but yes im using a glow shift oil filter sandwich plate for the gauges. im going to wait to hook them up since i am going to be taking this panel out since im making more of these panels and going to sell them, so i will be test fitting a lot so i will take this one out a lot for that so im waiting to hook them up for now. i really like this location, i advise not to use it for boost pressure (cause normally when you check your boost pressure is when your giving a lot of throttle and you dont want to have to look down to see that but for the oils i think its cool. i think its awesome for oil pressure and oil temp. it looks very clean and looks like it was meant to be there really.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
sleet said:
i dont have the actual gauges fully hooked up yet. but yes im using a glow shift oil filter sandwich plate for the gauges. im going to wait to hook them up since i am going to be taking this panel out since im making more of these panels and going to sell them, so i will be test fitting a lot so i will take this one out a lot for that so im waiting to hook them up for now. i really like this location, i advise not to use it for boost pressure (cause normally when you check your boost pressure is when your giving a lot of throttle and you dont want to have to look down to see that but for the oils i think its cool. but i think its awesome for oil pressure and oil temp. it looks very clean and looks like it was meant to be there really.
How much are you going to charge?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
sleet said:
i(cause normally when you check your boost pressure is when your giving a lot of throttle and you dont want to have to look down to see that but for the oils i think its cool. but i think its awesome for oil pressure and oil temp. it looks very clean and looks like it was meant to be there really.
Yep; I love this set up for the oil guages. For boost guage; I want this set up here:

http://www.garaget.org/show_ext.php?car=7628&image=85086

I love that; and looks very OE rather than flashy :cool: Now to figure out how :cheesy:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9-3sleeper said:
Sleet, what is it you use to make these?

edit: sorry I just read above. My bad ;oops:
this one was the mock up, so ignore the materials used in this one as it was an experiment. i didnt think the angling part fully through before hand then had to build it up and i had a tub of bondo here so figured hmm why not and heres a mock up. so next im making it out of wood, and im going to use that wood piece to make a mold, and then make the actual product out of plastic. for whoever is interested, please message on here saying so, or pm me and i will keep you all updated on the progress. the pricing im not completely sure yet on but i looked at all the other gauge pods/panels and seem to go around 70+ so and im definatly going to make it cheaper than those. so just please have patience as making another part and then a mold and then the actual part will take time, so bare with me.

--who knows maybe the next piece i make will be a pod for where the mirror switch goes......

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
sleet said:
this one was the mock up, so ignore the materials used in this one as it was an experiment. i didnt think the angling part fully through before hand then had to build it up and i had a tub of bondo here so figured hmm why not and heres a mock up. so next im making it out of wood, and im going to use that wood piece to make a mold, and then make the actual product out of plastic. for whoever is interested, please message on here saying so, or pm me and i will keep you all updated on the progress. the pricing im not completely sure yet on but i looked at all the other gauge pods/panels and seem to go around 70+ so and im definatly going to make it cheaper than those. so just please have patience as making another part and then a mold and then the actual part will take time, so bare with me.

--who knows maybe the next piece i make will be a pod for where the mirror switch goes......
For what you are able to do, I hope you make some different set ups. It fits really well with the interior.

Well done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts