SaabCentral Forums banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
11,297 Posts
That dashboard looks very nice. You may have mentioned this before, did you remove the "rubber" finish on the ACC/SID buttons that turns to goo after a while?

Just looking at the buttons, it's hard to believe that the car is a 1999.....I assume the radio and SID are original. Take a look at the average NG9-3 dash and compare, they really cut the quality in those cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
That dashboard looks very nice. You may have mentioned this before, did you remove the "rubber" finish on the ACC/SID buttons that turns to goo after a while?

Just looking at the buttons, it's hard to believe that the car is a 1999.....I assume the radio and SID are original. Take a look at the average NG9-3 dash and compare, they really cut the quality in those cars.
Yes, all the components are original. I pulled the SID, Radio and Climate Controls and did a thorough cleaning with Neutrogena Makup Remover Wipes. Scary at first, thinking I may damage the buttons but this turned out to be a seriously safe and effective solution. I highly recommend taking the time to do this. Now every time I touch one of those surfaces it feels clean and new.

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes on Amazon

·
Registered
2003 9-5 TD04 Wagon 5MT
200 Posts
Can you elaborate? Are the LEDs dimmable?
Sure. They are dimmable, but even when they're turned all the way down, they're definitely brighter than incandescents. The dimming doesn't bother me too much because I just leave the brightness at one setting I'm happy with, but green incandescent bulbs would probably be best if you wanted the dimming range of the regular incandescent bulbs and the green color. I haven't found any green incandescents that would fit, but I'm sure it'd be possible. The other minor downside is that the LEDs I have aren't diffused as well as incandescents, so the lighting is slightly less even, but again it's minor and doesn't bother me. I didn't put enough time into trying to diffuse them, but I'm sure it's possible.

Here's a picture of my SID with the LEDs.
Vehicle Steering part Audio equipment Vehicle audio Plant

It's hard to get the lighting in the picture to match how it looks in person, as the backlight is more green in person than the photos.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Sure. They are dimmable, but even when they're turned all the way down, they're definitely brighter than incandescents. The dimming doesn't bother me too much because I just leave the brightness at one setting I'm happy with, but green incandescent bulbs would probably be best if you wanted the dimming range of the regular incandescent bulbs and the green color. I haven't found any green incandescents that would fit, but I'm sure it'd be possible. The other minor downside is that the LEDs I have aren't diffused as well as incandescents, so the lighting is slightly less even, but again it's minor and doesn't bother me. I didn't put enough time into trying to diffuse them, but I'm sure it's possible.

Here's a picture of my SID with the LEDs.
View attachment 290041

It's hard to get the lighting in the picture to match how it looks in person, as the backlight is more green in person than the photos.
That looks great - good to know, thank you!

121 - 129 of 129 Posts