SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy here -

Thought I would share my Saab Story:

I have known this Imola Red 1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon since it first rolled off the truck at Shaw Saab as a brand new car. The owner of the dealership took this car as his personal demo, and added some 16" Fondmetal wheels, a rear spoiler, and a Saab exhaust tip. He drove the car for approx 5K miles, then it was time for a new demo. At this time, my Grandfather was looking to replace his Buick wagon. Working as a detailer at Shaw Saab, I knew I could get him a good deal on a new wagon. He was uneasy at the thought of a 4 cylinder replacing his Buick 6, but after test driving the red 9-5 he was sold.

Saab1 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab2 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab3 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab4 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab5 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

My grandfather used the car sparingly during the time he owned it. Mostly driven for short rides around town, he only added 11K miles in the 15 years he had the car. He was fanatical about servicing the car, and would take it back to Shaw Saab for anything that it needed. My grandfather really loved this car, and I really enjoyed helping him take care of it. Sadly my Grandfather passed away in January. He was 98 years old, and lived an amazing life.

The car was passed down to me, and I never thought to do anything with it, other than to keep it just the way it is. That all changed last week.

I brought the car to Andy Lee, who was the Shop Foreman at Shaw Saab for many years. Andy has a lift in his home garage, and performed an oil change, tune up, and full vehicle inspection. Although the car was never garaged, its in very nice shape for its age. I decided to freshen the car up as a tribute to my Grandfather. He was always tinkering with things, and I believe he would be very pleased with what I have planned. We are laying his ashes to rest on July 8th. I am pushing to get the car ready for that event.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After the oil change and service was done, I felt inspired to do more. First on the list was to replace the dry rotted tires and modernize the wheels.

I scoured the internet - looking for a set of 9-3 Viggen 17" Wheels, the best looking Saab wheels ever made IMO. Then I found out how soft and easily bendable they are, and decided to find other options. Craigslist came though with a serious hook up. I found a set of 17" Saab OEM Split 5 Spoke wheels from a 2008 9-5 Sport. Although there was minor curb rash to two of them, they were mounted on very new Continental Summer tires. The deal included center caps, lugs, lug nut caps, and even a brand new set of Saab 9-5 Floor Mats! All for $550. SOLD.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Remaining items on my hot list include:

Full Window Tint: 35%

Color Matched Front Grille

New Saab front & Rear badges, new style logos to match wheel center caps.

Clear front fender side indicator lights to replace amber markers.

De-Badge rear hatch, create and install subtle vintage "turbo" script in black vinyl.

Remake his "10th Mountain" front lic plate using a black vinyl background instead of the current white.

(His army division in WW2 was 10th Mtn. The plate will be a centerpiece of the tribute.)

Sport Exhaust - Still have not found a source. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool little project, a nice tribute. Love the color :cheesy:

Sadly the Saabsport exhausts are very hard to come by. I'm kinda kicking myself for selling mine a while back. Some inspiration for the grill (and $50 Mustang Mach 1 chin spoiler to boot):

You just found my next mod! - Love the Mach 1 Chin Spoiler - I had no idea it fit the Saab that nicely. Did you need to alter it, or simply bolt it directly on?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridge: Huge difference going from the big sidewalls of the 16" Michelins to the 17" Contis.

Now the only softness is in the suspension.

Mopper: Wow - Viggen wheels look just as good as I imagined they would. Nice set of wagons there!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Amazing wagon and story! What's the word on those quirky Fondmetals? Only have ever seen them in catalogs.
Those were a Dealer Option in 1999. Saab had a fantastic selection of wheels at that time, including some beautiful BBS alloys.

The 16" Fondmetals on this wagon do need to be refinished, but Ill probably only use them in the winter.

Car really looks much much better with the 17s installed.

Chin Spoiler ordered to arrive Wednesday.

Looking like I may get everything completed for his service on the 8th.

Fingers crossed.

Stay tuned - more pics to follow!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi, great looking car with a great story. My Aero wagon also has a debadged hatch and I think it looks much cleaner.

I was sad to see Shaw Saab close after the bankruptcy. Is your indie Andy Lee taking new customers? I've been looking for an indie on the South Shore and he sounds like what I'm looking for.
Andy is great. I just spoke with him. He is accepting new clients - He can be contacted at 781-588-4018.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

My goals were achieved. Everything on my checklist was completed before the deadline. I could not be more happy with the results.

The car looks and feels brand new. I believe my Grandfather would be quite pleased with the results.

Modifications Completed:

17" Saab 9-5 Sport Wheels with Conti Summer Tires
Color Matched Front Grille In Imola Red - Rear Spoiler And Mirrors Repainted
Smoked Side Marker Lights
New Style Saab Roundels, Front & Back
Windows Tinted 35% - Suntek Carbon Film
Mustang Mach 1 Chin Spoiler
New 10th Mountain Plate Created With Matte Black Vinyl Background
Rear Hatch Debadged, Matte Black Vintage Turbo Script Applied
Borla Muffler With Factory Engraved Saab Exhaust Tip

We honored my Grandfather last Tuesday at Bourne National Cemetery on Cape Cod. It was a very fitting service.

His 9-5 Wagon led the procession. I feel so lucky to be able to freshen this car in his honor.

BEGA1 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA3 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA4 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA7 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA10 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA13 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA16 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA28 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA29 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cool but just some info, someone might take offense to it since you weren't actually the one to serve. That would be kind of like if I had Special Forces or Ranger stickers on my car because a family member was in those groups.
Glad you are proud of your Grandfathers service though and cool car.;ol;
Not sure if you read the whole thread or not - My grandfather was the original owner of this car. He passed away in January and left it to me. I did all this work to it in his honor. He did serve proudly in the 10th - got a Purple Heart for taking a bullet at the battle of Riva Ridge in Italy. If someone were to take offense to the lic plate they really need to get a life. The 10th Mountain was part of his story, and I'm proud of his service. The plate stays.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear he passed away and he sounds like a great person/soldier.

But I was just giving you some friendly advice. So please do with it how ever you want.

Good luck
Thank you for the advice, and I do understand your point. I noticed you are in Colorado. That where my Grandfather got his training at Camp Hale. Conditions were pretty brutal in those mountains from what he told me. Are you in the service yourself?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Be proud of your Grandfather, mine signed up at age 35 because they needed Civil Engineers for the Sea Bees (Construction Battalions). He announced to my Grandmother after he had signed (with 3 kids) He did his time in the South Pacific, Marines take the island CB's are next taking fire while building/fixing the runways. He was a Lt. Commander, all the guys called him the old man, they were all around 18 or 19 yrs old. I would proudly display what you have. I have immense respect for the man.
Thank you! Its incredible what these guys went through. Stuff of legends. Your grandfather sounds like an incredible man as well. I cant imagine the stress and pressure they were under in WWII. They are not called "The Greatest Generation" for nothing. That was earned the hard way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That paint is BEAUTIFUL! ;ol; What did you use to get it into such good shape?

How many miles does the car have on it now?
Thanks so much!

That photo was taken about 5 years ago. The car was never garaged, such a shame. The paint has taken a beating from the sun and the snow. It did polish up nicely, but certain areas are better than others. The rear spoiler and mirrors had clearcoat issues so those were repainted as part of this project. The rest of the paint received a 4 step treatment to bring some life back into it.

Menzerna FG400
Menzerna FF
Meguiers Polymer Sealant 2.0
Nanoskin Hydrophobic Paste Wax

Some areas still could use refinishing - and will receive more attention in the future.

My trip to Cape Cod was the longest drive that car has had in its life.

Current Mileage = 17,466

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Wow, just wow! You've done such a great job. That grille is such a top shelf piece. Grandpa would just flip if he saw this. Thank you for posting this.

I disagree. I still feel anything respectfully honoring our veterans is appropriate. I've never served in this manner but I don't think that's the difference here. How cool would it be for you both if you ran into someone that recognized "10th Mountain" ;ol;

Thank you! I love the color matched grille also. That, with the Mach 1 chin spoiler and the new roundels really set off the front end.

At my Grandfathers service, there were two soldiers from the United States Army present. They performed the Military Funeral Honors, and presented my uncle with the US Flag. Both soldiers commented on the 10th Mountain plate. They loved the car, and thought the plate was very appropriate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I served but since I did not serve in combat I don't hold my self in the same vein as those who did. The 10th Mountain is a pretty storied division. If you go anywhere near an Army installation people will know what it stands for. I think people assume that when someone publicly displays division or corps emblems that they themselves served in association to it. Like someone that has a license plate of their alma mater but on another level. It is your vehicle and your way to honor someone not mine.
I still, and always will think of this Saab as his car. I am only the caretaker. I made the 10th Mountain plate for him about 5 years ago. It has been on the car ever since. The only thing I changed recently is the background. Previously white, I recovered it in black to symbolize his passing. I have nothing but respect for the 10th, and all the men who served.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts