SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy here -

Thought I would share my Saab Story:

I have known this Imola Red 1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon since it first rolled off the truck at Shaw Saab as a brand new car. The owner of the dealership took this car as his personal demo, and added some 16" Fondmetal wheels, a rear spoiler, and a Saab exhaust tip. He drove the car for approx 5K miles, then it was time for a new demo. At this time, my Grandfather was looking to replace his Buick wagon. Working as a detailer at Shaw Saab, I knew I could get him a good deal on a new wagon. He was uneasy at the thought of a 4 cylinder replacing his Buick 6, but after test driving the red 9-5 he was sold.

Saab1 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab2 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab3 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab4 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab5 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

My grandfather used the car sparingly during the time he owned it. Mostly driven for short rides around town, he only added 11K miles in the 15 years he had the car. He was fanatical about servicing the car, and would take it back to Shaw Saab for anything that it needed. My grandfather really loved this car, and I really enjoyed helping him take care of it. Sadly my Grandfather passed away in January. He was 98 years old, and lived an amazing life.

The car was passed down to me, and I never thought to do anything with it, other than to keep it just the way it is. That all changed last week.

I brought the car to Andy Lee, who was the Shop Foreman at Shaw Saab for many years. Andy has a lift in his home garage, and performed an oil change, tune up, and full vehicle inspection. Although the car was never garaged, its in very nice shape for its age. I decided to freshen the car up as a tribute to my Grandfather. He was always tinkering with things, and I believe he would be very pleased with what I have planned. We are laying his ashes to rest on July 8th. I am pushing to get the car ready for that event.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After the oil change and service was done, I felt inspired to do more. First on the list was to replace the dry rotted tires and modernize the wheels.

I scoured the internet - looking for a set of 9-3 Viggen 17" Wheels, the best looking Saab wheels ever made IMO. Then I found out how soft and easily bendable they are, and decided to find other options. Craigslist came though with a serious hook up. I found a set of 17" Saab OEM Split 5 Spoke wheels from a 2008 9-5 Sport. Although there was minor curb rash to two of them, they were mounted on very new Continental Summer tires. The deal included center caps, lugs, lug nut caps, and even a brand new set of Saab 9-5 Floor Mats! All for $550. SOLD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Remaining items on my hot list include:

Full Window Tint: 35%

Color Matched Front Grille

New Saab front & Rear badges, new style logos to match wheel center caps.

Clear front fender side indicator lights to replace amber markers.

De-Badge rear hatch, create and install subtle vintage "turbo" script in black vinyl.

Remake his "10th Mountain" front lic plate using a black vinyl background instead of the current white.

(His army division in WW2 was 10th Mtn. The plate will be a centerpiece of the tribute.)

Sport Exhaust - Still have not found a source. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cool little project, a nice tribute. Love the color :cheesy:

Sadly the Saabsport exhausts are very hard to come by. I'm kinda kicking myself for selling mine a while back. Some inspiration for the grill (and $50 Mustang Mach 1 chin spoiler to boot):

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool little project, a nice tribute. Love the color :cheesy:

Sadly the Saabsport exhausts are very hard to come by. I'm kinda kicking myself for selling mine a while back. Some inspiration for the grill (and $50 Mustang Mach 1 chin spoiler to boot):

You just found my next mod! - Love the Mach 1 Chin Spoiler - I had no idea it fit the Saab that nicely. Did you need to alter it, or simply bolt it directly on?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Also if you are looking for exhaust that is sporty and not the "SAABsport" exhaust then check out Krona/Brew City Boost or the BSR exhaust at Genuine SAAB

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is my 99 lpt, aero converted wagon, with viggen reps i picked up a few months ago, lowerd wagons look so good but this is my winter car so i don't really want to over do it, i just installed my sedans old 35mm lowering springs in the front. I left the stock rear springs in so i can also tow things and have extra weight and not sag to rear end to bad.

this is another one i saw on the forums a while back, absolutly loved the red / back combo and the viggen wheels and its my inspiration for buying the viggen rims for my wagon.

I also have the Porsche turbo badge on both of my saabs on the right of the trunk.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You just found my next mod! - Love the Mach 1 Chin Spoiler - I had no idea it fit the Saab that nicely. Did you need to alter it, or simply bolt it directly on?
There is a bit of modification necessary, though its quite minor. On the back side of the spoiler, you need to cut some notches into the part that lays flush against the underside of the bumper to change the radius of the curve in the corners. Not difficult, but probably doubles the installation time. Otherwise, a surprisingly good fit.

Also if you are looking for exhaust that is sporty and not the "SAABsport" exhaust then check out Krona/Brew City Boost or the BSR exhaust at Genuine SAAB
Agreed. BSR if you don't want to get too much louder than stock, Krona if you like it loud.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridge: Huge difference going from the big sidewalls of the 16" Michelins to the 17" Contis.

Now the only softness is in the suspension.

Mopper: Wow - Viggen wheels look just as good as I imagined they would. Nice set of wagons there!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Dude, the Mach 1 spoiler looks FANTASTIC on the OG 9-5s! I was fiddling around with one for a while trying to get it to look right on my 2004 Aero front end, but I abandoned it :-(
I remember seeing some pics, it looked good! But it must have run really low and the 04-05 Aero front ends are already prone to getting beat up as is. That and figuring out a way to bridge the center part that is higher than the corners was probably no fun.

But yes, cosmetically the Mach 1 chin spoiler brings a huge improvement to the early 9-5s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Amazing wagon and story! What's the word on those quirky Fondmetals? Only have ever seen them in catalogs.
Those were a Dealer Option in 1999. Saab had a fantastic selection of wheels at that time, including some beautiful BBS alloys.

The 16" Fondmetals on this wagon do need to be refinished, but Ill probably only use them in the winter.

Car really looks much much better with the 17s installed.

Chin Spoiler ordered to arrive Wednesday.

Looking like I may get everything completed for his service on the 8th.

Fingers crossed.

Stay tuned - more pics to follow!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi, great looking car with a great story. My Aero wagon also has a debadged hatch and I think it looks much cleaner.

I was sad to see Shaw Saab close after the bankruptcy. Is your indie Andy Lee taking new customers? I've been looking for an indie on the South Shore and he sounds like what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi, great looking car with a great story. My Aero wagon also has a debadged hatch and I think it looks much cleaner.

I was sad to see Shaw Saab close after the bankruptcy. Is your indie Andy Lee taking new customers? I've been looking for an indie on the South Shore and he sounds like what I'm looking for.
Andy is great. I just spoke with him. He is accepting new clients - He can be contacted at 781-588-4018.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I love my Borla muffler. I got the most quiet series they offer, xs I believe. It is not too loud. Very nice tone when cruising, a little loud when wide open throttle, but not annoying. I have 3" dp and piping the whole way to the muffler too

1 - 20 of 82 Posts