SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I managed to lose my only banana remote for my 2000 9-3 yesterday. I know you normally can't program a fob without an existing one, but what if I still have the plain key with transponder? I couldn't seem to find a clear answer in all of my searches.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's hope your last action with the remote was not 'to arm the alarm'.
This may also help:
Luckily, I used it to unlock the car before losing it in a parking lot 3 hours from home. The key ring had broken off the fob so I must have dropped it by the car. Sounds like I'm in luck, though. Thanks for the link.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
How many keys do you have?

If only one, yes you should get an all-in-one blade cut for your car, and a working key head module--can be used, long as it's the right frequency (different by world regions) and of course functioning.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many keys do you have?

If only one, yes you should get an all-in-one blade cut for your car, and a working key head module--can be used, long as it's the right frequency (different by world regions) and of course functioning.
Just one key currently. I've got an all in one left over from a car with a bad twice so I'm thinking I just order a new blade and reprogram the internals.

· Registered
13,179 Posts
The banana remotes and all-in-one keys can be used interchangeably on the 9-3. Make sure you buy OE parts... lots of places sell aftermarket Saab keys & remotes and they 99.9% of the time don't work. My personal recommendation would be to hit up esaabparts for a body & blade, and get the electronic guts off ebay. It's not too terribly expensive. Like Ed says, get two. Just always have extra keys.

· Registered
20,544 Posts
Just one key currently. I've got an all in one left over from a car with a bad twice so I'm thinking I just order a new blade and reprogram the internals.
If you do, yes, just order an All-In-1 "blade" from esaabparts.com. They will cut it to your VIN. Test when you get it to make sure it works in the ignition and doors. Matt at Esaab will help you out if it doesn't work.

Swap the guts, have it programmed. I might get another banana of Ebay... it's best to have two keys and two remotes for these cars.

If you can't find the other key, I can sell you some guts and a key back for short money. You do NOT want to buy those parts from Saab/ORIO.

· Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,718 Posts
Key and Remote Fob Limit is 4 Keys plus 4 Remotes in Total. There is a SID command I think that tells you the number of keys linked. Tech2 will also tell you the status as well I'm sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts