SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i test drove a 97 900se today that i love, but haven't commited to yet. as i found while looking at the car, it only has one key, and it's the spare that doesn't control the keyless entry. i wondered if it would be possible to buy a blank of the key with the remote integrated into it (same as 02 9-5 aero), get it cut, and then program it to the car's keyless entry. i'm sure it's possible, but how expensive can it be with that particular key?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't think its possible. First the key blank has to be ordered from Saab directly, and they are the ones that order the key made for you via your key code or from the VIN. The Key is laser cut and is ordered in; they don't normally do it onsite, machine to do this is very expensive.

The blanks might not be the same length and thinkness as the newer models.

The remote you can simply order a new one, buy a used one off the internet, and have it programmed to the car. Don't think a new remote from a different model and year will work with the older cars.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laser cut even on the 97? wow. well it makes sense that the blanks might be different sizes, but either way i'm probably gonna have to make another key just for the sake of having a spare.

i'll post if i decide to get the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Diosnoche said:
Don't think a new remote from a different model and year will work with the older cars.
I asked about this at the dealers a couple of weeks ago and they comfirmed that you can't reprogram a later model key for the older GM900...

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pity that i can't get an all-in-one key. :roll: well at least i'll be able to get another key and a remote made for the car if i get it. i'll probably find out tomorrow! :cheesy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts