SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Take the fob and the car to a dealer or to an indy with a Tech II tool. They will be able to program the TWICE module in the car to recognize the fob.

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Programming key fob etc.

I know this is old but thought i would post my experience in hopes it helps someone in the future.

I recently bought a 1996 900sec which came with a key fob remote that did not work. The led's lit when buttons were pressed so I figured it needed to be reprogrammed. I found the solution for that (i will list it later) and tried it. No go. I figured it needed new battery so i opened it up and replaced the one battery (wait the manual said two batteries needed?). Tried to reprogram, no go. Took it to the local parts store and used their RF checker and it was not sending a signal (but the led's lite??). Figured it was shot and decided not to mess with it after reading horror stories of getting it set and not being able to dissarm it. Remember where the manual said it needed two batteries...

The 1996 ng 900se key fob requires two cr2016 batteries or the equivelant. The previous owner (PO) had a 2032 in there. now the only difference on these style batteries is the size, be it thickness or diameter. Once i realized this I knew what was wrong. The 2016 is a 3v battery, if it takes two as the manual says it means that it is a 6v system. The PO had a single 3v battery in there. I put a single 3v in there too since that's what came out and every other car I ever had used a single 2032. I finally did what the manual told me to do all along and put in the TWO 2016 batterys, did the program procedure and it worked instantly.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it sheds some light for someone in the future. To summarize:

96 ng900se key fob remote takes two cr2016 or similar 3v batteries (3.2 really i think). When fitted the led's should light fairly brightly when the buttons are pushed. Left button for doors/alarm, right button to unlock the trunk.

To reprogram the remote to the car, stand close to the car and point the fob towards it (some say middle of the hood i was at the driver door). press the right button 5 times quickly in succession. You should hear the doors lock and the horn chirp as well the marker lights should flash.

That's what it took for me. If the above does not work for you it may have to go to a dealer or service station.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
To reprogram the remote to the car, stand close to the car and point the fob towards it (some say middle of the hood i was at the driver door). press the right button 5 times quickly in succession. You should hear the doors lock and the horn chirp as well the marker lights should flash.

That's what it took for me. If the above does not work for you it may have to go to a dealer or service station.
What you did was synchronize your already-programmed fob to the car. I guess there's some kind of rolling key so it's not the same signal every time (otherwise it would be really easy to pick up and duplicate). If the car gets out of synch with the fob, pressing the button 5 times will re-synch them.

To actually add a new fob, you need a working existing fob, the new fob, and a Tech II. The existing fob verifies that you are authorized (or something similar), and the Tech II tells the car to add the new fob.

So, if you have no programmed fob, I am not sure it's possible to add a new fob. And you do need the Tech II, no way around it that I know of.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Good point. I got a little excited and put the info in the first key fob post I found :D.
Another thing, if this is the only fob you have, if you've locked the car with it, and it gets lost or otherwise stops working, you won't be able to drive anywhere. The alarm can not be turned off by using the key.

I use the fob, but I also have a backup fob sitting in the car. I'll set off the alarm by opening the car with the key, but the spare fob will disable the alarm.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
If you change the battery because it is getting low (according to SID) do you have to re-snyc the fob?
I don't know for a 9-3. The info should be in your Owner's Manual. It can't hurt to press the button a few times if it doesn't work at first (and the LED flashes).

·
Registered
343 Posts
From the 2000 9-3 manual if anyone ever finds this thread during a search.

Changing the remote-control battery
When the battery voltage in the remote control falls below a predetermined level the SID will issue the following message: REPLACE KEY BATTERY. Press the CLEAR button on the SID to acknowledge this message. You must then replace the battery without delay to avoid malfunctions. The life of the battery is 4-5 years. After changing the battery you must press the unlocking button of the remote control four times (or until the door locks cycle) while the car is within the range of the remote control
in order for the control module to recognize the remote.
Battery type: Panasonic CR 2032, 3V lithium.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's what it states in the manual
Battery is 1632CR
2032CR is "IBM compatible" computer motherboard battery, if some one needs that battery

I remember I changed the battery before (or I just took it out to see what the model was) and it didn't work for months and then mysteriously started working.

Every time I touch this car it pisses me off :x

I can't sell the car because it's worthless
I can't even give it away because I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
And I can't bare to just totally neglect it
I don't know what to do

I love that it's a hatchback/wagon hybrid with a lot of room in the back and great gas mileage and might be safe for such a light car, it's just very poorly designed after GM took over.
GM must have made a lot of money after they took over this brand and ruined the name.
It's hilarious they claim the opposite.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Maybe I can't program the key because it says "service theft alarm" on the center display.
That might be why it took so long for the key to reprogram itself when I took the battery out. I think the problem was intermittent then, the "service theft alarm" issue that is.

I had to take the Siren/alarm out because it kept making noise.

Any way I can program the key now?
Does it have anything to do with the message?

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Missing siren will prevent key programming, unless you haven't programmed it off.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What's the easiest/most economical way top fix this problem?
I'm looking to get BMD cable, but don't know which one to get.
I have a spare T7 ECU already.

Maybe I can plug something into the siren port.
Probably not though.
Didn't see this coming.
The siren was useless to me or so I thought.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Started working yesterday, like last time.
Not sure why.
Hasn't used the key in about a week.

Guess it just programs itself in a month if you don't use it lol ;ol;

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost my fob

After locking my car, I lost the only fob that I had for my 1997 Saab 900 convertible. I had a spare key, but the alarm system prevents me from turning on the car without the fob first unlocking the car and turning off the alarm system. I bought two used fobs on eBay and then had the car towed to the car dealer which had been the Saab dealer here. They now tell me that since I don't have the original fob, that they cannot program the new fobs to match my car, and that I would have to buy a whole new interlock(?) module, some $1,400 installed. I assume that they have the computer for this car in their shop. Can someone tell me if their suggestion is the only solution or is there a way to program these "new" used fobs to work on my car.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I think the simplest solution on NG900s is to simply disable the security. Search on "saab ng900 security bypass". I'm not sure if this also disables the remote locking, but since you don't have working remotes, that solution is moot. At least you can drive the car.

And $1400 is a ridiculous sum for parts that should be available used from any number of parts or junkyard cars.

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
They are correct... if the option in the system to disable the vehicle is set in the "disable after remote locking" mode then it won't start OR reprogram without a matching FOB to get it going. Saab made that an anti-theft feature. Years later it's a PITA :(

Like EdT said, you can bypass the security system. That's your best option and if you can strip a few wires, etc you can do it at home.

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
You can also buy an alarm computer with a fob or two that are already paired on eBay. They're not always on there, but I've seen them fairly often. The NG900 doesn't require that everything be added to the car with a Tech II, so you can swap out your entire alarm module with one from another car and it will work fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts