SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2000 9-3 Aero with the B205R running an Auto Transmission.
I don't have Traction control. My Build plate says Aug 99, but the VIN code letter says 2000.
According to the EPC with my VIN - I should have a Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T (Part numbers: 9172180 or the newer: 55559825).
Were any versions of the B205R supplied with the 9-3 fitted with a different turbocharger eg: TD-25 or GT17?
Reason why I'm asking is that some parts on my car seem to be different, but I think that's more of a function of different markets. Eg I have a Tropical Hose kit.
Many of the 'select your car' proformas associated with some auto stores, even insurance companies don't have my correct spec.
I'm not considering a Turbocharger purchase at the moment - But I'd like to understand the factory build specs associated with car.
If there is any additional factory documentation that outlined <market xyz >> should have <build 1> etc - It would be great to read & understand this.
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
No, B205R was always the Mitsubishi turbo. All the lesser engines had the GT17 (non-HOT, LPT, etc.). The T25 was fitted to all B2x4 (Trionic 5) motors.

August 1999 would be very early in the production run for MY2000, but still MY2000. MY1999 production would have wrapped up several months earlier I believe.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
FWIW, I've never seen any market specific literature, but someone might have written something up for where you are. Mostly we just build the knowledge base when people post and we learn something new about specific markets. Saab did some funny things with the different markets for unknown reasons. No doubt some of this is regulatory but some just seems funky. The EPC sometimes highlights these differences (like the "tropical market" hose kit) or sometimes with VIN ranges.

FYI - What's the 8th letter of your VIN? If it's a "K", you have a HOT car.

OG9-3 came out in 1998 in some Euro markets... not until 1999 in the US market. No idea about Australia.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
Thanks for your responses.
Bob - Yes the 8th code letter is a K. YS3DH58K.
The 5th Letter 'H" must refer to 'Aero' or 'SE' because the EPC decode refers to it as 'Market: Model Series IV - Driver & Passenger Airbags'. It could also refer to trim levels like 'leather seats, and ACC' perhaps.
Jvan - Thanks for the clarification on the Turbo. Sometimes I see people reporting from 2000 it had this etc - For example if you look at the table on the wikipedia page - I think there is a small typo ie the B204R at 205 hp I think should be referring to the B205R - if my understanding is correct.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for your responses.
Bob - Yes the 8th code letter is a K. YS3DH58K.
The 5th Letter 'H" must refer to 'Aero' or 'SE' because the EPC decode refers to it as 'Market: Model Series IV - Driver & Passenger Airbags'. It could also refer to trim levels like 'leather seats, and ACC' perhaps.
Jvan - Thanks for the clarification on the Turbo. Sometimes I see people reporting from 2000 it had this etc - For example if you look at the table on the wikipedia page - I think there is a small typo ie the B204R at 205 hp I think should be referring to the B205R - if my understanding is correct.
So it is offcially a "HOT" car. T5 would be 205Hp; the 205R was 210HP. SAAB was always know to rate conservatively, so you might actually have a little more.

FWIW. I've never seen that VIN character "H" in play before... but we didn't get the Aero over here. You might want to put your full VIN in here and see what it tells you. VIN Decoder - Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Note that the initial info you get is specific to your VIN. The later pages appear to be "brochure info" for your model and is not always specific.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts