SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with my 9-5 aero. About 3 weeks ago it just died with rough idling and then limp home mode. I disconnected the battery and reset limp home mode and it's been running fine for almost three weeks then it did it again. The codes it first threw were pointing at a fuel pump relay but just today i'm reading that it's probably throttle body related instead.

I started going over everything and doing all my research which lead to me removing the MAF and checking the throttle body. I looked at the DIY for it and while thier TB looked a bit dirty mine looks almost new compared to it. I have had the car 4 years and never cleaned the TB and was surprised at how clean it looked.

So my question is even though it looks clean could it still be dirty enough to be causing issues? I'm not afraid to pull the MAF and TB to give them a thourogh cleaning, but with it looking so clean im afraid i'd be wasting my time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just had/solved the same issue on my '99, for some reason the TB would kick into limp mode everytime the car was turned on and it was throwing 2 "P codes", both MAF related.

I wound up swapping out TBs' and the problem was solved along with the codes and CEL which leads me to believe it was "limp selenoid" related.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That stinks, it's an awful expensive part to replace just to fix the limp solenoid.

In all my years of tinkering with cars i've never seen a problem with a part like this being even a little dirty. It just irks me that saab/gm put so many cheaply built and over complicated parts into this car and they didn't warranty any of them. Don't even get me started on the sid for which there should be a class action suit so they get replaced under warranty.

If something so important as the throttle body eventually dies because of an overengineered component attached to it then they should fix it. Losing a car and being unable to pay for the repair due to unemployment is just aggravating to no end.

I would post a picture of how clean the throttle body is but it's probably more effort than it's worth. I just can't see how a little dirt on the butterfly valve would crap out the car. Maybe i'll just try cleaning the two components and hope they hold out long enough to trade in the car or get a replacement throttle body.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
It's not how clean the throttle body is... it's the condition of the sensor wiring inside of it. The wiring degrades eventually and allows these wires to short out, throwing your sensor readings out of whack. If you take the throttle body apart and replace or separate these wires somehow, you are usually back in business.

One thing I was considering would be using plasti-dip to recoat these wires.

BBA also offers refurbishing for much cheaper than buying a new replacement part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not how clean the throttle body is... it's the condition of the sensor wiring inside of it. The wiring degrades eventually and allows these wires to short out, throwing your sensor readings out of whack. If you take the throttle body apart and replace or separate these wires somehow, you are usually back in business.

One thing I was considering would be using plasti-dip to recoat these wires.

BBA also offers refurbishing for much cheaper than buying a new replacement part.
I hadn't seen anything in my travels about fixing up the interior wires. Are there any diy's or anything about this method of repair? It sounds as if you also had problems, what method did you take to finally fix the issue?

I will check out the bba option, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts