SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all noobs here just bought our first saab and having probs with the roof,when i use the switch,roof won't go down or up,sounds like plastic gears stripping and can'get the top to latch, any pics or advice on how to manually put the top up and down,till i get into the repair? i checked to see the straps were released and trunk is latched. help?

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Welcome to SC Jill.

Top diagnosis TSB. Your 5th bow motor is disengaging from the drive and the teeth are stripping. DO NOT OPERATE THE TOP IN THIS MANNER. You can still save the motor unit and a lot of money.
Comprehensive top TSB update for NG900 model years 1995 on.

Source for rebuilt and reinforced fifth bow motor, if you need one.

If your top is already up and the rear is latched, leave it be until you can have the necessary updates installed. Once you use the manual release, you will not be ablr to secure the rear to the tonneau cover.

Stiffener kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the help,but, the top is up and i can't get the back to latch,has been that way since purchase,any other wat to lock it down?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sounds like the classic tonneau motor issue

fixable by a good DIY-er but a bit of a pain. Alternative is to really feel the pain and give someone who knows about these things money....problem is it takes hours at 70-80 dollars or whatever per hour and the people who know about these things aren't on every street corner. Study the reinforcing kit page, remove yours and re-twist the chassis plate which flexs and allows the gears to skip, giving you that noise. Once you re-twist and re-assemble if your gear is still good you might catch a break. The tonneau gearmotor has to work properly in order for the next step in the sequence to occur, that's the latching of the fifth bow to the tonneau itself, completing the roof up sequence. It's do-able, just takes some patience,

Good luck,

John
1997 900s 2.3 5 speed 'vert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you gonna give it a try in the morning,along with a few other small fixes and a good clean and detail she was kept up mechanically for the most part,but not a lot of tlc and 157000 miles,we're gonna put her back right and mod a little bit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts