SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a 2003 9-5 Linear (came with 16 inch 10 spoke rims and it had regular tires on) and on two occasions I had to replace the rim because it was damaged and let air out. I actually had to buy new tires as well, because the faulty rim chewed my tires from the inside. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2004 9-5 Aero (5 spoke 17 inch with low profile tires) and once, I am stuck paying $450+ for a new rim and tire. This is the 3rd time this happens to me!!! It’s not like I hit the curb and drive over potholes all the time….in fact, I don’t remember hitting my wheel on anything! What’s up with those alloy rims??? Did anyone have the same issue and how can I prevent this from happening over and over again?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

I think I will use the damaged 5 spoke Aero rim to make myself a little lamp table or something LOL

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The 2003 10-spoke Linear rims are soft and bend easily. I have a 2004 Aero and have not had issues (knocks on wood) with mine. I haven't heard too many other complaints from 2004-2005 Aero owners. So I wouldn't worry too much after this one.

The one thing you DO need to worry about on the 2004 Aero rims is when you have tires mounted... Tire shops use a "rim clamp machine" (google has pictures) to take off and put on tires. Because the Aero rims don't have a raised lip around their edge, and they bulge OUTWARD from the edges, the rim clamp machine's head can bash into the spokes if not used carefully. As the machine turns the wheel, the head gouges into the wheel! Last December I brought my car into Town Fair Tire to have snow tires mounted and they did this to ALL FOUR of my 99.9% perfect wheels. I had just bought the car too! So luckily I had pictures... To make a long story short it got ugly, I had proof they did it, yet the manager denied it, I talked to his boss, got him demoted, they fixed my wheels, happily ever after... Oh yeah I noticed they scratched ONE spoke on one of the rims putting them on after refinishing them but I let it go... Moral of the story; don't go to quicky chain tire stores. And take dated pictures of your wheels before handing over the keys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice, raquettelaker2! I am picking up the rim at the dealership tomorrow and I will ask them to put the tire on. There is not a singe 5 spoke Aero rim available at a salvage yard or refurbished anywhere in Minnesota!!! To order one of on line takes time and it costs about $280 + shipping. I found a refurbished one on ebay for $140 with free shipping, but I rather pay $280 (rather reasonable price, because my other local Saab dealer is asking for $380) and have it tomorrow.

Good to hear that they replaced your wheels :) I would be sooooooo pissed if something like this happened to me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice, raquettelaker2! I am picking up the rim at the dealership tomorrow and I will ask them to put the tire on. There is not a singe 5 spoke Aero rim available at a salvage yard or refurbished anywhere in Minnesota!!! To order one of on line takes time and it costs about $280 + shipping. I found a refurbished one on ebay for $140 with free shipping, but I rather pay $280 (rather reasonable price, because my other local Saab dealer is asking for $380) and have it tomorrow.

Good to hear that they replaced your wheels :) I would be sooooooo pissed if something like this happened to me.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have a 2001 with 10spoke rims and 3 of them are bent limiting my car to 68mph. Either that or the car starts to shake itself apart. As far as I know they were bent when I bought it but I couldn't tell because the brakes were so warped they caused the car to vibrate as well. I'm a student and don't have the money to buy new rims for my car, so I get to live with it. Luxurious eh? And I thought it would be a good idea to buy from the dealer :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks, Tailspin. You could go with some custom tire and wheel package (you can find some reasonable prices) or just get some cheap refurbished or used ones (I found a used 10 spoke rim for my 2003 Linear for only $98!!!).
Or you can go with a full size spare if you don't mind the look of it. In best case, it will cost you $300+

Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an 03 Aero and the front tires had slow leaks around the beads, I had to have a bead sealant put on the rims and that seamed to take care of the problem. Now my rears are leaking especially in the cold we have been having and I guess I will have to have the sealant put on them.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That sucks, Tailspin. You could go with some custom tire and wheel package (you can find some reasonable prices) or just get some cheap refurbished or used ones (I found a used 10 spoke rim for my 2003 Linear for only $98!!!).
Or you can go with a full size spare if you don't mind the look of it. In best case, it will cost you $300+

Good luck.

Problem is I am very picky about my rims, the look of mine are a big reason I bought the car. I'd rather have bent rims that I really like than straight ones that hate. 68mph excedes any speed limit here anyway, and its cop country. Our major 8 lane highways are 55mph :p

I want to get some of the same ones that are straight as replacements (Id only need 3) but I'm afraid that they will end up getting bent again, which makes me edgy. My tires are crappy, Chinese, and off brand (pep boys), but have decent tread left so I'll get 16's so I can keep them. Definitely cant afford tires too. My other option would be to get 4 new wheels on tirerack, but that'll be well over $400. The MSW Type 14's look great and so do the new Sport Edition CE's, but they are Chinese and gravity cast. Ideally I would like to find a classified with a set of rims I like with tires for around 350. I check on here and CG nearly every day and have been for awhile. Damn shipping always puts it over :confused: Its a daily crisis of mine because I take the highway to work every day :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.