SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members of Saab central,

Hope you can give me some advise!
I own a Saab 9-5 Aero 2000 Automatic from 2000 with 150 k miles.

Problem - No Crank when starting

Sometimes, it doesn't start. Especially right after a short or long ride.
No-Start:
  • You turn the key, all the lights on the dash light up
  • No movement of the tach
  • No starter sounds or clicks
  • No reaction of the starter, also after 10/20 attempts
I found out what works:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Disconnect Fuse no 17 Engine Management
After 1 minute I re-connect both and it Always start.

---> Please advise

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,922 Posts
Try to find someone with a Tech2 who can read codes. Looks like fuse 17 only powers up the ECU, however I've never seen an ECU fail in this way on T7. Do you ever get "key not accepted on the SID"?
Tom

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
First suspect is the gearshift position switch (a.k.a. neutral safety switch) that only allows the starter to turn when the car is in park or neutral. They wear out. Try moving the gearshift to "N" instead of "P" and see if that helps. if it does, then that's likely the issue.

There's not much in the starter circuit. I posted a reasonably long diagnostic procedure with a description of the wiring a year or so ago, you should find it. you can pull out certain fuses and measure voltage there to get a good idea of where things have gone wrong. The elements are the NSS (above), the switch under the key, the starter relay and the starter itself. My bet is on the NSS without knowing anything else.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Could be as simple as the CPS. I did the same trick on my 9-3 at first when the CPS was starting to fail. I thought I was a genius!!! Until the car locked the transmission into Limp home mode, then shut off at the red light and wouldn't start again for 20 to 30 minutes.
Does the car start fine after sitting overnight?

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
CPS doesn't prevent the car from cranking, just starting. So if it's a crank-no-start symptom (not like above) the CPS is the problem. If it doesn't crank that's not the CPS.

On the automatic there are only 4 things in the circuit to turn the starter. Key switch (under the ignition cylinder), starter relay, NSS and the TWICE. It's got to be one of those things

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I somehow completely missed the symptoms the OP posted. Wow. I haven't even had a drink today lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts