SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a bit of a problem i have standard h4 bulbs in my 9-3 and want to upgrade them so they are that bit brighter... i used to have a 9000 with philips 'ice blue' bulbs and thought they were good but have seen better.

anyway i have found these bulbs Osram Silver Star Bulbs H4 TWIN PACK link here http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_96&products_id=1506

and Philips X-treme H4 +80% More Light Bulbs - PAIR link here http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_96&products_id=3354

does anyone have any of these or used any of these before ???? feed back would be greatful:cheesy:

p.s did reed review on the philips ones but want your feed back

cheers dan

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Apart from my current HID set up, the brightest bulbs I've see/ used were silverstars, you can find them at any local auto store, prbably $30 for a set, they last long, and they stay clear. Check em out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9-3sleeper said:
Apart from my current HID set up, the brightest bulbs I've see/ used were silverstars, you can find them at any local auto store, prbably $30 for a set, they last long, and they stay clear. Check em out.
can you get them in the uk...

i want a HID kit but its like £299 + VAT & Fitting witch i dont have + thats place that does it is over 500 miles away from me :cry:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had a couple of sets of Silverstars, and they're much brighter than the standard, but only seem to last 12-18 months... There's even a graphic on the new packs indicating that they have reduced lifetime. I'm now trying the Philips +50%, which are also good'n'bright, but have only had them in for a couple of weeks.

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but look at the alignment too: I got a lot more light just by correcting it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I cleaned out the housings at least 4 times a year. They can get real dirty in there.

I liked using 65/75 bulbs but sooo many said that this is not recommended:roll::roll:
This taxes the stock wires and can cause frying.
They were on two years and no funny smells.

I now use 80/100 on something experimental. So far so good.:nono;:nono;

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Just put some phillips +80% in and they are defintiely alot better than before, but i hav'nt been out on the m'ways at night so dunno what they are like with no street lighting though, the dipped beam pattern is alot whiter and brighter than normal bulbs, i might go as far as rigging up a relay on each headlight so i can connect the bulbs direct to the alternator (with a fuse in between) with some descent sized cable, see if that improves things even more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Upgraded my bulbs in my old NG900 to higher wattage. Caused probs with the actual plugs that clipped to the bulbs, they went brittle due to to heat.

Try VVME.com for HiDs, got a set for my 95 at only $90 shipped here!! Made a huge difference and I think they do some for H4s.

Otherwise try the silverstars, they have come out on top in a lot of tests. I've got them as Main beam on the 95. Check the autoexpress website for reviews of upgraded bulbs. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
TheGodSon93 said:
can you get them in the uk...

i want a HID kit but its like £299 + VAT & Fitting witch i dont have + thats place that does it is over 500 miles away from me :cry:
If you want good HIDs, these are a great type to get. You can usually find them on ebay for even cheaper.

I guarantee you can install the kit yourself. I'll give you pointers if you'd like on how I did it. It's really quite simple.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Notice to american readers on this thread -
The "OSRAM SilverStars" sold in the US are NOT the same as the ones sold in europe.

You have to go on e-bay for the real ones.

::climbs off soap-box:: :cheesy:

Just that i got rammed before making that mistake :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts