SaabCentral Forums banner

problems "fixed" by removing bulb

2K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  jameschong 
#1 ·
I took the dash apart (wasn't as hard/complicated as I'd read) and checked all the bulbs to see why they didn't seem to be working.

The previous owner "fixed" problems (or had them "fixed" by a mechanic) by removing indicatior lights. 2 bulbs were removed from the gauges. The "coolant warning" and shift up. I understand the shift light...but the "coolant warning" light!?! If the lights on then fix the G@% $#mn! problem, don't remove the bulb!! Makes me worried about the quality of care it received....

The left side dimmer should work now, zip-tied in place, and the tach works perfect...don't have to wack it to get it to do something.

The far left light (check engine soon) is on now, and it was idling horriably...till the light came on. I assume '89 900's aren't OBD1 compatiable (stick a paper clip in...count flashes...thats the code)...how do I check the "codes"?

#3 ·
Haven't had the "extra" ~$80usd for a Bently yet. Only unconnected thing I've found is under the rear seat and it doesn't appear to have anything to connect to.

Now that it's dark out I went and checked to see which lights acutally work and which don't. Ovbiously all the waring lights worked fine (nice & bright, even for daytime). Only 2 out that I can tell and I wish I had changed one of 'em while I had the dash apart. The other one is the back light(s) the stereo uses (the EQ is fine...kinda odd). The dash one is the one that shines on the right side of the gauges, one of the big 'uns.
Oh...all the outside lights work fine too though I kinda wish the front reverse lights didn't (they're rather creepy if you ask me).

Sylvania (input Saab, '89, 900, if needed) implies that all the gauge/instrument cluster bulbs are the same but the one thats blown is one in the pair that is easially 2x the size of the rest...any ideas?

#6 ·
#7 ·
fetchitfido said:
Sylvania (input Saab, '89, 900, if needed) implies that all the gauge/instrument cluster bulbs are the same but the one thats blown is one in the pair that is easially 2x the size of the rest...any ideas?
The warning lights use a 1.2W "grain of wheat" bulb. The 2 which are larger are 5W ones which are used for general illumination of the instrument panel.

#8 ·
It's in the same area as the low fuel light, but thats not it. I have a triangular set of bulbs, all appear to be blocked off from each other (EXH, low fuel, and coolant). I think that that hole in the "power paper" in yours is the same thing, but yours doesn't appear to have a hole in the plastic too like mine does.
I'll try to get a pic later today or tomorrow, sounds like it's an odd setup. Gotta take it apart again for that 5w bulb anyway...maybe I'll get a brighter one.

#10 ·
fetchitfido said:
It's in the same area as the low fuel light, but thats not it. I have a triangular set of bulbs, all appear to be blocked off from each other (EXH, low fuel, and coolant).
Yep, I've got three bulb holes in the dash, too - and in the "speedo donor dash" I killed.

Both were the same.
The fuel warning has a bulb in - which works. Frequently.
EXH has a bulb in, despite not being used this side of the pond.
The temp warning has a plastic blanking plate in. On both dashes.

They're the only bulbs which can't easily be changed from the speaker hole.

#13 ·
So it wasn't thier stupidity to have a "dummy" light in the temp spot? Thats stupid...why bother making it an option to have a light there?

Can't go higher then 5w? Thats annoying...might be brighter as it is if the plastic trackes were clear instead of green.

#14 ·
fetchitfido said:
So it wasn't thier stupidity to have a "dummy" light in the temp spot? Thats stupid...why bother making it an option to have a light there?
<shrug> One dash fits all versions. Some of which - some markets, some specs - may have a temp light, others not.

Mine's got bulbs in the EXH light (never used in the UK or anywhere as late as '90), Shift Up light (never used in the UK), ABS light (not fitted to mine), and a couple of others. You want daft? That seems to be it, rather than a blanking plug in a bulbhole that isn't used.

B'sides, why do you need a light if you've got a gauge?

#15 ·
The light could be to warn me about a low coolant level situation, whcih amy not be the 1st thing someone thinks of when the car overheats. It just really bothered me to see a couple lights looking like they were removed, and a legit safty light (as opposed to a not legit light like the fasten seat belts) looked to have been replaced with a blank.

Gotta figure out what I did with the manual...but it didn't notify me that 5th gear was in the most f-d up place so it probably won't mention this either.

Got 2 bulbs for $1.02 so now I get to wait till tonight to see if it helps any.

#16 ·
fetchitfido said:
The light could be to warn me about a low coolant level situation
It could...

...if there was a coolant level sensor in the header tank. Which there isn't.

whcih amy not be the 1st thing someone thinks of when the car overheats
...whether or not there's a light on...

Anyway, let's be honest. The first thing probably the majority of drivers will think is "Oooh, wonder what that light means. I'll ring the garage tomorrow. If I remember"

If they're actually going to stop and try and do something sensible about finding the problem, they'll find the low level quick enough.

Gotta figure out what I did with the manual...but it didn't notify me that 5th gear was in the most f-d up place so it probably won't mention this either.
<baffled> Where did you expect it to be?

#18 ·
that cooling system / temperature light

I think was only used in Japanese markets, I remember looking this up on the saab EPC (electronic parts catalogue) once... and i was looking up something else, and I'd wondered why this wasn't enabled on my SPG, and that's why -- only Japanese market cars.

#19 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
<baffled> Where did you expect it to be?
Above Reverse, like every other 5spd I've driven. This one has 5th above the space between 4th and R, not directly above R. I've gotten used to it now so it's not a problem finding it but it was extremly annoying at first, and something that *should* have been mentioned in the manual...unless I need to take it apart to re-align it :roll:

Kinda sad that 2 brand new 5w bulbs are out shined by 11 year old bulbs in my other car. I can clearly see that the gauges are lit in my other car on the lowest setting, but have to hold my arms 'round the dash in the 900 on the brightest setting. I think its the plastic stuff thats impeding it...can they be removed and cleaned?

So now I feel stupid...it was a Japan only thing that I was getting worried about with the coolant light? lol

In my defense...my last/only experience with an "import" was a '94 Hynudai Elantra. Burned a valve or some such attepting to get it above 90mph (top speed was claimed to be 113mph and ... I was 18 at the time)....stupid Hyundai.

#20 ·
I don't understand, there is no coolant lamp!

#21 ·
fetchitfido said:
Above Reverse, like every other 5spd I've driven. This one has 5th above the space between 4th and R, not directly above R. I've gotten used to it now so it's not a problem finding it but it was extremly annoying at first, and something that *should* have been mentioned in the manual...unless I need to take it apart to re-align it
Which you do... Is it the case that when you come out of fourth and go to the right until the stop you're too far over for fifth. And, for reverse, do you need to lift the collar on the gearstick? There's a pin coming out of the base of the gearstick which should be 22mm in length and should sort out this problem. Lift the gearstick gaiter and undo the three screws holding the gearstick in...

#22 ·
fetchitfido said:
Above Reverse, like every other 5spd I've driven. This one has 5th above the space between 4th and R, not directly above R. I've gotten used to it now so it's not a problem finding it but it was extremly annoying at first, and something that *should* have been mentioned in the manual...unless I need to take it apart to re-align it :roll:
Reckon you do... I'm sure that I need to lift the collar to go past 5th towards Reverse. There's certainly no fiddling involved.

#23 ·
jameschong said:
The warning lights use a 1.2W "grain of wheat" bulb. The 2 which are larger are 5W ones which are used for general illumination of the instrument panel.
Hi James...

I recently pulled dash/cluster, replaced several instruments. Since putting it back together left side night illumination comes & goes. Reaching through speaker cavity I can fiddle and bring it back, but it doesn't stay on. I haven't been able to identify whether loose conncection is bulb or (whatever it's called) the mylar wiring circuit.

I'm gon'a pull the cluster again, clean bulbs & contacts & take a good look at by cluster wiring circuit. I have wondered which bulbs are for night illumination, but can't tell for sure looking through the speaker cavity.

Do they have same location on all the variously wired clusters? Can you tell me where... are they in same row(s) as idiot lights?

I'm curious 'cause I don't recall seeing 2 different watt bulbs you describe. I have idiot lights & blinkers on top (but I haven't taken 'em all out and inspected closely).

Thanx.

#24 ·
jdmckay said:
I'm gon'a pull the cluster again, clean bulbs & contacts & take a good look at by cluster wiring circuit. I have wondered which bulbs are for night illumination, but can't tell for sure looking through the speaker cavity.
Look at the front of the cluster, and you'll see the two plastic housings for the bulbs at the top between the gauges. The bulbs are the top two, directly behind those, with bigger "knobs" on the back than the eejit lights.

#25 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
Look at the front of the cluster, and you'll see the two plastic housings for the bulbs at the top between the gauges. The bulbs are the top two, directly behind those, with bigger "knobs" on the back than the eejit lights.
Front being "front of car" (foc) side, or fascia side? Only 2 large ones on foc I've noticed are the blinkers, but I haven't examined 'em closely either. :roll:

#26 ·
fetchitfido said:
If you look carefully on the shift pattern you will notice 5th is closer to 4 than R is to 2 ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.