SaabCentral Forums banner

Problems engaging 1st gear

784 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  midway 
#1 ·
Ive been having a bit of a problem lately getting my 9K to engage 1st. If its rolling a bit (like pulling a stopsign), it doesnt seem to have any problems. However, when I start the car up and put it in gear, its sticky and I really have to ease it in. Im thinking motor mounts or shift bushing. I replaced all motor mounts about 2 months ago except for the lower rear mount, which didnt seem bad. Its not the syncros, all other gears engage smoothly, even when shifting fast. Im going to check the bushing soon, but has anyone else had a similar problem before I go about ripping things apart? Also, there seems to be a rubbing sound coming from my left front tire. It kind of sounds like wheel well rubbing, which im sure it isnt (just checked for that - plenty of clearance). CV joint? The boots look fine, no cracks, but all other CV joints that have gone in the past for me have a tell-tale clicking sound, and none of that is evident here. Tires are new, and pressure is fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
noises/gear

Check your shifter linkage, it could be loose and slipping out of alignment... happened to me a couple of years ago. As for rubbing sound, Check the caliper, it could be dragging or is clogged with brake dust. Some newer type brake pads generate a lot of dust and dirt which has nowhere to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.