SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Over the weekend my DI Cassette died while on the Mass. Pike. This occurred while driving around 75 mph and once the CEL came on I pulled right over. Once in the breakdown lane I started the engine again and it was noticeably miss firing. I had a spare (at home, just took it out of the trunk to make space for luggage...THANK YOU MURPHY!!!!!:confused: ) put the spare in and engine does not start. Are there problems that can occur if the DI fails at speed??? It's at the dealership now, but the Saab forum second opinion is always useful. Thanks, Simon Cambrindge,MA

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
A DI failing at speed can kill the catalytic converter i'm afraid, something to do with unburnt fuel destroying the internals of the cat. The only sure fire way of detecting this is to have an emissions test when the new DI is fitted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kermit,

If this becomes an issue, any recommendations on aftermarket Cat upgrades, cost vs. performance benefit with the current mods. already done.
Engine mods.
  • 3" open air
  • 3" exhaust.
Thanks, Simon

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The 3" JT downpipe, with either sport or race cat comes to mind if your cat has been destroyed. A new downpipe/cat combi that gives the turbo a faster spool up time as a bonus. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts