SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 900 Turbo Convertible

A while back, my radio turned off and asked for the "code." I entered it and it worked OK for a while. Then it did it again a couple days later. Then it happened more and more often (like every 10 minutes!) until now it just says "code" constantly. I enter the code and it will not start - just continues to ask for the code.

Is this a problem with the radio or the connections or what?

That section of the dash (including the air vents in the middle of the dash) is starting to stick out a little further from the rest of the dash. Could this be causing the problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gozvrrm

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That same part of the dash sticks out a little further on mine too and my radio works fine. Other than that the only other thing you can do is leave the ignition in the run position (fisrt click) for one hour and the radio will reset itself after which you can try your code again.

·
4,637 Posts
I'd suggest looking to see if the constant 12V supply to the radio is getting interrupted. This will cause the code request. Is everything else electrical working properly? Does the battery light come on when you switch on and then extinguish when the engine starts?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
CDaly is on the right track. I would check the grounds as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me just clarify something that may have been misleading in my first message. The radio did not turn off (as in no power), it just stopped playing music and showed "code." Would this still have something to do with the 12V supply?

Cinnemarr, it doesn't make me wait an hour to put the code in again. It asks me for the code again immediately. I know I have the right code. I can enter it 10 times in a row and it never makes me wait to enter it again.

If I could find a new stereo in plain black, I'd replace it, but it seems like everything today is shiny silver with fluorescent colors flashing. :roll:

Thanks for your help...any other ideas are welcome!

gozvrrm

·
4,637 Posts
It could be. There are three wires involved with radio power (ignoring loudspeaker wires and such):

1. 12V constant supply (used to keep station memory and position on CD and security code)
2. 12V switched supply (used to turn on/off the radio with the ignition)
3. ground (used as ground for both 1 and 2 above)

If the ground was getting interrupted, the radio would likely switch off. If 1 gets interrupted, the station memory should be lost (unless 2 is on) and the security code will trigger. Depending on the radio, having power on 2 and not on 1 could leave the code intact but this might make it possible to steal the radio by providing power. Having the code trigger on interruption of 1 no matter what the state of 2 is a more secure option.

So, I'd say look for breaks on the constant 12V supply rather than the ground.

Of course, I could be wrong... :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Depends on the radio.

Most common would be if there are 2 holes on each side. Undo grub screws if in there. Get 2 bits of coathanger wire, and bend into U shapes. File a notch into the side of both ends. Push bits of coathanger into holes with notches facing inwards. Push coathangers to the sides slightly (imagine the notches gripping onto teeth in the radio) and pull out.

You can buy the proper tools at motor factors.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
gozvrrm said:
If I could find a new stereo in plain black, I'd replace it, but it seems like everything today is shiny silver with fluorescent colors flashing. :roll:

gozvrrm
Sony make a range of black car stereos with a subtle red trim which I am going to buy soon. If I can find a pic I'll post it. I know what you mean about those ugly silver stereos. They seem to think all car interiors are silver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts