SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife's 2002 Saab 9-5 will not start. The engine will crank but there seems to be no gas. The tank is full.

I have opened up the back seat and tried to listen for the fuel pump when turning the key on and when starting the car. I do not hear it running.

Researching the issue I have also found a lot of talk about the PCS sensor.

My question is, if the fuel pump is not running is it most likey a bad fuel pump or a problem with the PCS sensor?

I have testing the fuel pump relay and it made no difference with the fuel pump running.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi John,
Welcome to the forum!
You should definitely hear the fuel pump pressurize the system when you turn the key to the "on" position.
You can test it to make sure you are getting power to the pump. Pull the leads at the pump, connect a voltage meter and turn the key on. You should get a reading (12v)for a second or two.
If you're getting power and you don't hear the pump priming when the leads are connected to it then it's gone.
The CPS (crank position sensor) is a common replacement item if it's more than a few years old but it won't stop the fuel pump from operating.
Test the pump first and let us know.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A CPS problem normally shows up when the car is at operating temperature. If the pump has done more 100K miles I would start there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that you can get the pump seperately or as part of a full kit. Is there a problem replacing just the pump?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Most folks do the pump only. You just have to do the few mods to the fuel lines in the assembly.

If you buy the pump kit (best) you get the pump, fuel line and clamps. I would go for a Walbro pump, it goes for under $ 100 and same as the original Saab equipment. The cheap ones just dont last and not worth the few dollars you save. I ordered from Fuel-pumps.net and this may be the part you need.

Walbro 5CA3360 OE Replacement Fuel Pump Kit

Walbro 5CA3360 OE Replacement Fuel Pump Kit
Item Code: 5CA3360Availability: Usually ships the next business dayRetail price: $111.08

You pay: $85.33
Qty:

·
Registered
497 Posts
+1 First-Saab

I did the pump with out the kit and had to mod the lines and the large rubber grommet for the top of the pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts