SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just picked up a new cluster from the junk yard. Mine is an 87 this is an 88 but it looks the exact same. when I plugged it in the left blinker was on and the key wasnt in. not blinking just on. then when I went to put the blinker on the shifter light flashed then the right one and the ebrake light flashed. and the gas gauge wasnt working. What is going on. Is the wiring all different? anyone experience this? Do I need to find another 87 cluster only?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The early 80s models were all the same and interchangeable, but that changed. 8 valve cars had an "exh" light for the o2 sensor,16s got the "shift up" light at some point. I dont know if they are wired the same,my guess is that they are not.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they look exactly the same. It came out of a 16v 900s. And I took the turnsignal too and that was all messed up too. made my car start buzzing when I would turn it on and the signals wouldnt really work. so I put my old one on and it works. The numbers are exactly the same. I wonder if that car was possesed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The foil that hooks all the electrical system together is different between 87 and 88, that's why it's not working correctly. You can try rewiring everything or find the correct cluster.

What's wrong with yours that you needed to change out the entire cluster?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speedo is off. the temp gauge is intermitent and so is the fuel gauge. I think it is the contacts on the ribbon but they are scrapped a bit. maybe its not getting contact. and for some strange reason the lights on the gauge are not as bright as the one from the 88. I even changed the bulbs from the 88 and put them in mine but not any brighter. still real dim. and yes I adjusted the brightness switch.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I think you can test the gages( still not sure of the spelling) via the multimeter, but the values must be known.

Also the power supply can be measured - not that any of this is easy...
I do think you are better off by repaired the old cluster, the "new" used one is probably no better...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds as if the foil is bad on the '87. The easiest thing would be to just find a cluster from the correct years that will fit/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts