SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so happy! I fixed one problem (squeaky steering wheel. Someone here mentioned a TSB & it fixed the issue!!!), and identified another.

What happens is (driver front only) when the window rolls down to about 7/8 the way, there's a loud pop, the whole door plastic buckles inward, and the window continues all the way down. Every time. And it only happens when the door is closed.

So I ripped off the door panel, and discovered that the bottom edge of the window glass is hitting the metal door catch on the side farthest forward. This metal is the catch? I'm not sure what it's called, but it is what governs the door's ability to open halfway, and not swing wildly open when open all the way.

It seems to be placed too far to one side, and thus is in the path of the glass.
The passenger side is the same way, except for some reason it is clear of the path. See pics for details on the driver.

Has anyone encountered this & fixed it? I can't seem to pinpoint EXACTLY what's wrong to fix it, but I have a funny feeling that it will involve a new door. Someone has already looked at this, as I can tell they followed the same path I did (scratch marks on the door handle, insulation ripped off, etc).

?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Unbelievable !

I'd say this is definitely a warranty issue (defect in design or assembly). Which car ??
If the new one, then we are at the wrong place, I think..
This would have to be occurring from minute one, day one....
But this make no sense.
Something must have really loosened and become out of place...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's the 1994 900. Been out of warranty awhile.

The only thing I can think of is that the door might have gotten slammed open, and bent the mechanism.

If I had confidence in cutting that portion of the glass, I'd do it, but cutting glass is not my first choice.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm not so sure you'd want to cut it. Where would you cut anyways? On the bottom of the glass there is the part where the metal seems to have taken a chunk out. So would you continue that strip up the glass as high as you need to? This seems like a lot of glass to take out. There really is no way to try, because even if you got a new door, you'd probably keep your old glass, right?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think I'm gonna give up on this & put the door panels back on. :cry:

I can't cut the glass anyway because it's tempered, and will crash into a million tiny peices.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have the same problem with my passenger door window! I have not yet looked at it. I have gotten pretty good though at hitting the auto down button and then leaning over to pop the door open! Too bad you didn't find anything, and I will post up if I figure anything out myself.

Tboy

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
For all I know the door hold-open could be in backward or maybe, as a wild guess, someone installed a right side one in the left side ..

Upon further investigation, in my parts book, I find three different "door stop" assemblies( 5 dr, 3 dr , and convertible).. Apparently, there is no separate LS nor RS...
Why a wrong one could even be in place is a mystery..

Seems as if this car has been vandalized in a body shop !! Perhaps the PO was the victim..

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Tboy said:
I have the same problem with my passenger door window! I have not yet looked at it. I have gotten pretty good though at hitting the auto down button and then leaning over to pop the door open! Too bad you didn't find anything, and I will post up if I figure anything out myself.

Tboy
By opening the door, TBoy, you did find something.
And that is the door stop - something strange is wrong here !

What happened here is the assembly line ran out of the "short" door stop and used one a bit longer as a substitute.. Little difference in appearance...
Got away with it too, at least until wear and tear took over and revealed this typical GM "mistake"....
Possibly, the PO never used the passenger side window !!
I am fabricating this of course, but I do know that assembly line mistake happen every day; most errors are caught.....

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
window hits door stop

Please get back to us, Viscourse and Tboy..

This problem with the window hitting the door stop has me intrigued..
This seems to be well designed and built.
One screw is used to attach the mechanism to the door.
Maybe some bending damage was done by a PO by slamming the door open during a temper tantrum..

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
earthworm said:
Please get back to us, Viscourse and Tboy..
Maybe some bending damage was done by a PO by slamming the door open during a temper tantrum..
earthworm, sadly I've given up on this (see above post). The prospect of taking apart a bolt that holds part of the door on & potentially screwing it up has kind of frightened me. Since I cannot find the exact cause I'm reluctant to go monkeying around, especially if the cause is bent body sheet metal/frame member due to a tantrum. A window that 1/2 works is better than a door that half or doesn't work.

That restrainer is $60 too. Maybe once I scratch some dough together I'll take it apart.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Probably nothing wrong with the door stop, as it is heavy metal.

Trying to imagine how this could have happened - and I can't ; but I can guess..
And I do have a temper.
The door stop, if needed, should cost $5 or 10 at a yard , they have little resale value and the door can function without a door stop..
Maybe a body shop could fix this...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts