SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went out to drive my 95. The car hadn't been driven in a couple of days. On start up I got some smoke out the exhaust. It cleared up within the first minute of running but is the sign of something failing?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Ehh, they'll do that. After sitting awhile, you can get condensation in the exhaust. Or it could be a leaky oil seal somewhere in the turbo. If it just does it every once in awhile, don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smoke is white. It was the first time it was noticed. I'll have to get back with you on WOT as I don't drive the car very hard. It has 140k miles and I know things will fail. Turbo was replaced about 50k miles ago. The amount of smoke wasn't bad like when a turbo goes, but bad enough to notice on start up.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
328iC - water/coolant is usually what causes white smoke.

Does your car feel sluggish? Do you notice your turbo spooling up fine? Are you losing coolant? You said the turbo was replaced - you could check the coolant lines to the turbo to make sure nothing came loose.

Do you smell anything sweet (a sign of coolant burning - and a lean towards the head gasket failing and starting to cause the white smoke). If it is the head gasket, sometimes it is a matter of re-torque of the head bolts to tighten down the gasket again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts