SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving back from Calgary today with my cruise on and suddenly I noticed my car slowing down and my engine light turned on. Realizing my cruise wasn't working I turned it off and sped up back to normal speed. A little while later I tried using it again but it wouldn't work. When in town I noticed I had no acceleration. I was going about 40km and stepped on the gas a bit more and nothing happened. I slowly put my foot to the floor and it sped up but just barely. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Car is an '05 with 80km. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They stay the same as usual. I read in the manual that when the engine light comes on that it will shut off the cruise and lower the performance of the engine in limp home mode. The turbo gauge corresponds with the amount of gas I give it as well as the rpms but the car doesn't accelerate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They stay the same as usual. I read in the manual that when the engine light comes on that it will shut off the cruise and lower the performance of the engine in limp home mode. The turbo gauge corresponds with the amount of gas I give it as well as the rpms but the car doesn't accelerate.

Well i will give you the same advice i got 1 week ago with my problem... Time to get the check engine code and report back... :roll:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will post the code tomorrow, how serious of a fix would it be if it was in fact a throttle body problem?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the code today. P0638 throttle actuator control range performance. Going to be honest, not a clue what that is haha.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its 80k km or 50k miles. I had my mechanic check wires and connections and haven't changed the plugs since I bought the car so it could very well be!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems strange to me. I'm definitely no mechanic by any means but even my mechanic who left GM to start his own shop was a bit confused by what was going on. Taking in the car on Monday, guess I will have to drive the 900 until then:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Throttle Body Codes - May just need to clean your connections.

Just wanted to give a little relief to this issue. I was having issues with throttle body codes on my 2005 9-3 for about a year. Then a mechanic told me to keep in mind that these are fly-by-wire setups. Of course I realize that. Anyway he said that I should try cleaning the connections. I was skeptical at first, but ready to try anything at this point...after buying my second new throttle body and absolutely no use of brain activity from my local Saab dealer (Idiots). Just clean the connectors. I did this and no codes for 8 months. Then I received the actuator code...I simply disconnected, ran over the connectors with a clean rag and its now been 6 months and no codes. It’s very possible that the dealerships do know this but wouldn't dare tell you if it’s possible they could make at least $600 to $800 off you that day. Seems this is a simple fix, we just need to get the word out. ;ol;

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is it possible that Saabs that came to Canada didn't have that "Limp Home mode" appearing on the SID? (From Calgary as well)

I know you Americans have the handy little feature telling you when to shift up on your insturment pannel for economy. (Standard transmission in the owners manual) We... don't have that.

I had the same Limp home mode feeling in the car when I put on a new K and N air intake. MAF code pop up and the car turned gutless from first to second. Had the OBD2 gauge reader.. deleted the code and car ran back to normal again. Yet nothing popped up on the SID.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.