SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Never warmed up shopping car, engine, box,ings etc. will not be at their best. Get one that's done 10K a year, and you'll have a much better proposition.

·
Registered
219 Posts
nickliv said:
Never warmed up shopping car, engine, box,ings etc. will not be at their best. Get one that's done 10K a year, and you'll have a much better proposition.
1986 car in 2005....19 years old.
10,000 miles a year.....190,000 miles.

I'm afraid i'm going to disagree with you and say that I'd sooner take a 29,000 mile one.

If you mean Kilometers, then you're talking about a car with 118,000 miles on it. I still think I'd rather have 29,000.

What about the car could be perminantly damaged on account of it's short trip driving routine? My vote is nothing.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Only ever doing short trips certainly isn't good for the car - never warms up properly so nothing beds in and seals perish - but what I had in mind was more why it keeps being sold. It seems to come up on Ebay virtually every couple of months. So maybe it's horrible - there are always a few out the factory that are complete dogs. Of course, maybe people just want to make money out of it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jezzadee said:
Only ever doing short trips certainly isn't good for the car - never warms up properly so nothing beds in and seals perish - but what I had in mind was more why it keeps being sold. It seems to come up on Ebay virtually every couple of months. So maybe it's horrible - there are always a few out the factory that are complete dogs. Of course, maybe people just want to make money out of it.
well it says that the first 20,000 miles were driven fairly regularly. That should have gotten it broken in just fine. I would think

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
A former member of these forums brought a 35,000 mile T16S to a Saab meet down in London. Due to the mileage, everyone expected it to me mint - but it wasn't.

Rust on the sunroof, doors and in the engine bay; long scratch in the rear quarter; cracked dashboard. Seats were near-mint though :lol: A very special and lovely car, but not what I was expecting given the hype.

Ultimately, even the newest of these cars is eleven years old. Low mileage isn't the be all and end all of vehicle condition. Caring ownership, proper and pro-active maintenance are more important.

A 30,000 mile family grocery-getter will have seen more wear and tear than a garaged 150,000 mile single-occupant motorway cruiser.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
s900snt said:
well it says that the first 20,000 miles were driven fairly regularly. That should have gotten it broken in just fine. I would think
Just out of interest, do you happen to do a lot of short trips? ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is another problem to keep in mind. when i purchased my 92 vert n/a, it had only 42000 miles on the odo.:D .........the previous owners had done all the correct servicing according to the mile expectations.....unfortunatly in some of the models TIME is the real killer. if the coolant is flushed according to miles there will be a huge problem,as i found out. head gasket was eaten away by age, there was so much "etching" on all the contact surfaces (head to block) that i had to have it milled. my head gasket failed within 10,000 miles of purchase !
the moral to the story ( IMHO) is that investing and owning are two different things. our saabs seem to happier at higher mileages than other cars. maybe our cars are as proud of themselves as we are of them.

i'm sorry there i go again......thinking outside the nine dots.

allen
92 900s vert

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just doing some quick math, that comes out to roughly $13,000 USD. For that price, you can pick up, in decent condition
1999-2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen
Chevrolet Chevelle
1980s BMW 635 CSi
Camaro
Corvette
and so on

That is, as much as I regret to say, is awfully steep for a c900. You could probably buy one with higher mileage, or use your own, and spend much less than that to fix it up to the standards of that particular car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just my 10 cents.. A good car (or anything) will sell itself to people in the know, and when I see an eBay ad that long and comprehensive, it generally tells me the seller is trying very, very hard to move something at a price they know is not in the ballpark for savvy buyers. Guess it's buyer beware as always....which is not to say it's a shabby looking car at all!

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
My low mileage 99 which sat for years unused is now leaking oil from most gaskets. The engine itself is still in great condition - it's just the bits sealing all the various fluids in that have deteriorated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jezzadee said:
Just out of interest, do you happen to do a lot of short trips? ;)

no, not really.

I'm really excited about driving 6 hours to Savannah, GA next week. I have only had it on a few long trips like that.

Well, lets see. I bought my Saab three years ago with 136,000 miles and now I've got 180,000.

So that was about 9700 miles per year for the car before I got it...and 14,000 per year since I've had it. So I'd say I drive it pretty good.

My father bought a brand new 2002 Chevy Suburban. Now it has 120,000 miles on it. 40,000 miles per year! FYI, it needed a new transmission at 90,000 miles.

How many miles per year are other people driving?

·
4,637 Posts
nutcase said:
My low mileage 99 which sat for years unused is now leaking oil from most gaskets.
And Nutcase is running around with a roll of Duck Tape in the boot! :lol:

I'm doing less than 10000 miles per annum between the two. It means servicing on a time basis rather than a mileage one. Each car gets a service annually...

·
Registered
239 Posts
$13,000 for a saab 900. Wow!

I have to agree that a car that was parked for 15 years is not going to be the greatest proposition. A car needs to be driven, as any machine made out of metal that needs seals and fluids to work need to move or be properly prepped to sit for a long time...

The car does look awesome, but looks aren't everything, and with $13,000 you can pick up a 900 of that year for about $1K and have $12,000 to restore it to new condition and everything in it will be new. Not like new, but new: new gaskets, hoses, brakes, paint, upholstery. Ok, maybe $12K won't get you new upholstery, but certainly will get you an engine and transmission rebuild, a decent paint job, plus the peace of mind that the gaskets have not rotted in an unused engine.

My grandfather used to say that rust was the cancer of a car; to that I might add that disuse is the death of it.

PS. Someone pointed out that the lengthy description was akin a hard sales pitch. Again, I agree. I read it several times, not being able to figure out what was bothering me, and then I read it: Someone is trying to hard to tell me what to think :roll:

PPS. Apologies to Saabotage for echoing what he'd already said. I tend to post as I read instead of finishing the thread.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought my C900 8V 2 years ago with 39K miles from the original owner who happenned to be a friend of mine. He only used it on the weekends and put about 200 miles on it in the 2 years before he sold it to me. It was a very base model with only ac, radio and auto and I paid $1,500. for it. Always garaged all its life and maintained according to the book.
I put synthetic oil in it and its seems to be leaking everywhere. Had to replace the front suspension and just about every serviceable item on the car. It still has other mechanical issures I need to deal with even though it was well cared for. Body is perfect though,no rust and never in an accident. So yes even with extremely low mileage 18 years takes its toll and any car will still needs a good amount of work.

Dave T.
C900 8V
now with 62K miles

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I wouldnt pay anywhere near that much for ANY car with a burgandy interior:eek:....... not even a T16s

And looking at it, the engine is just TOO shiney and clean - its more than likely been steamcleaned - so you have to ask yourself why...... i'd rather a car have 20k miles of DRY road dirt, than be all spotless and new looking - that whay you know that there have been no leaks

just my 2pence worth

G

1 - 20 of 21 Posts