SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to change the color of my grill from chrome to black. I first tried Krylon, but the results were spotty. Now I've gone over the Krylon with primer, so that I can sand the surface smooth before applying black paint and the clearcoat. However, the primer keeps cracking. It looks like the surface of the desert. What am I doing wrong?

I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
when i did mine i sanded the chrome then i used some grey industrial primer my dad got from work about 3 coats then rustoleum flat black turned out great there might be wax on the grill try rubbing ith with rubbing alcohol then wash and sand and paint hope this helps

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
^ what he said. sanding the chrome gives the primer something to grab onto, and then wiping it down with some sort of pre-paint (various products out there) removes any impurities that can keep the primer from bonding to the surface.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sanding, sanding, sanding....sand the chrome with a very fine 500 grit sand paper. Make sure you get into the corners as that's where peeling will start.

Wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner (I don't think alcohol will remove wax and oil....note both of these thinner will eat the grill's pplastic so only on the chrome!).

Prime. Sand very lightly again. Paint.

At this point if you did not properly prep the chrome you will have to remove all your paint. Acetone should do that for you. Your paint job will only be as good as your first coat of paint!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts