SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im new here and recently bought a 2001 9-3 and my friend made fun of me for buying a swedish luxery car:x . so i challeged her to a race shes got a 87 trans am with a crate motor n 410 transmission gears n ran about a 13.7 quarter mile. do i have any chance n what would it take to beat it. i only have a smbc for it right now.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
best bet is from a roll. Our cars are wicked from 40mph-90mph. I think you could definately take her front a 2nd gear roll. be careful!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hey another central jersey saab owner what town are you from?

I doubt you can win on a roll either even if you have a HOT that car is probably probably close to 300hp with gobs and gobs of torque, plus they are pretty light. To compare my car is a second slower in the quarter mile and im making 200hp + extra boost from the mbc. Also, i lost to a big fat dodge charger daytona at the track :(.

If you do race, i suggest stripping all the weight from the car that you can and you should be able to keep up. Or ask to go to a course with turns, the saab is stable through the turns.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You wont beat a 13.7 with a standard car... Hell I have 262bhp+ and (when it was damp) ran a 15.2 @ 99mph.

50mph and above I was quicker than an '03 WRX and as quick as a '92 Skyline GTR. :D

In the dry I'm expecting a 14.3 (ish) but still not under 14 secs..... YET!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
goincb89 said:
ok so im new here and recently bought a 2001 9-3 and my friend made fun of me for buying a swedish luxery car:x . so i challeged her to a race shes got a 87 trans am with a crate motor n 410 transmission gears n ran about a 13.7 quarter mile. do i have any chance n what would it take to beat it. i only have a smbc for it right now.
Well welcome to the site, but I'm sorry to tell you that you will probably lose if those numbers are correct. To run with that you're going to need to get your car to a Stg. 4 (Nordic) or higher. And you're looking at close to $4500 for all that.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
goincb89 said:
87 trans am with a crate motor n 410 transmission gears n ran about a 13.7 quarter mile.
That is pathetic. Tell her she should have put her money into an 87 turbo regal. One of those with a blown trans, and 3.83 gears could walk that trans am. And they have a neat habbit of appreciating, not depreciating.

From a roll, no dice, but if the race started on the track at about 30 you might have a shot. Unfortunately you wont see any real gains with the 9-3s engine management without getting an ECU and some good hard parts into it. 900s on the other hand love having parts thrown on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im from monroe twp. exit 8A off the turnpike anyway, that sucks but i do plan eventually to gut up the thoses stage mods, maybe a race on wet curvy roads would help :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Try her from a 25-30MPH roll, you may be ahead for a bit. And make sure you tell her, whether you race or not, that you have a Swedish Luxury car, and she is in a modified sports car with a purpose built V-8...she has twice the cylinders and probably twice the displacement as you. So when you don't get completely smoked, you're still in the nicer riding, better handling luxury car that is built to go many miles, drink less gas, and still probably get more looks(I don't know what her car looks like).

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
snowboardin58 said:
Try her from a 25-30MPH roll, you may be ahead for a bit. And make sure you tell her, whether you race or not, that you have a Swedish Luxury car, and she is in a modified sports car with a purpose built V-8...she has twice the cylinders and probably twice the displacement as you. So when you don't get completely smoked, you're still in the nicer riding, better handling luxury car that is built to go many miles, drink less gas, and still probably get more looks(I don't know what her car looks like).
And be sure to throw in that once your mods are up to par you are going to entirely destroy her.... and that you'll still be driving a Sweedish luxury car. ;)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
lol plus the price you paid for the car

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You should just make fun of her for driving an '87 trans am. Around where I live the '80's Camaro/TA/Mustang are THE white trash racer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
stamonkey said:
You should just make fun of her for driving an '87 trans am. Around where I live the '80's Camaro/TA/Mustang are THE white trash racer.
StL? There's some extremely fast domestics around here, from very old to very new. In fact, the fastest 1/4 car on stl-speed.net is an older generation Mustang, built with spray. He rightly gets a lot of respect. But now that I think about it, most of them are hicks- and absolutely love the 80's muscle.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I bet she has huge bleach blond hair and a RATT t-shirt.

Just kidding:cheesy:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha i would say thats about the same for jersey a lot of hicks still live here with old muscle cars. oh and she actually like 115 and has to slide the seat up real close :p

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Corn Cob said:
I bet she has huge bleach blond hair and a RATT t-shirt.

Just kidding:cheesy:
:D I was picturing a greasy dark mullet with acid washed jeans and the sleeves ripped off her motley crue shirt.

I can respect the straight line speed of the domestic 'sports' car. My friend has a twin turbo mustang gt which I am pretty sure would just about blow the doors off of anything. However, would I want to drive one to go pick up some groceries or maybe get a haircut? Absolutely not. The way I describe my Saab is a comfortable, somewhat economical car, which on occasion can be deceptively fast.

·
Registered
428 Posts
stamonkey said:
:D I was picturing a greasy dark mullet with acid washed jeans and the sleeves ripped off her motley crue shirt.

I can respect the straight line speed of the domestic 'sports' car. My friend has a twin turbo mustang gt which I am pretty sure would just about blow the doors off of anything. However, would I want to drive one to go pick up some groceries or maybe get a haircut? Absolutely not. The way I describe my Saab is a comfortable, somewhat economical car, which on occasion can be deceptively fast.
Your friend's name doesn't happen to be Tony, does it? That's the only twin-turbo GT I know of in St. Louis... Black w/ external fuel pump in the back?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.