SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a rough idea of the cost of a second hand T8 engine with as much associated bits as poss???

Would ideally be after one with the Water/Oil pump, inlet, starter and gear box attached, not so bothered about the exhaust manifold or turbo though.

After spending the weekend messing about I've kinda come to the conclusion that i've actually got more knackered parts to my engine than working ones!!!!!

Power steering & water pump both rattle and are generally noisy, oil pump is dripping oil, radiator now has a leak, alternator is squeeling, think the HG is going although got to do a compression test to confirm, manifold is making a putting noise(think it's leaking underside of exit on cylinder 1), timing chain is pretty noisy, vacuum in the inlet is steady but low.........and so on!!!!!!!!

So now gonna spend some time on the underside and the body + I've got a few mods to experiment with, also highly tempted to cut off my wheel arches!!!!

I need keep it movable for the meantime but I wanna drop a new engine + maybe performance cam in (also got use of another car for a few months)

Any suggestions on price would be welcome, I need to know whether I can afford Heinz beans or whether I'm gonna have to go 'Happy Shopper'!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
interesting, so much failure! how many km's/miles are you at?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mileage

I'll be passing 228K miles in under 100.

I can prob keep it going for another few 100/1000 (depending on the results of compression test) miles but i don't wanna spend every weekend under the bonnet with blue tack n sticky tape trying to keep it going, I'd rather take the engine out now and get cleaning and welding so when the new engine goes back in I dont have to worry about rust/deterioration. I'm pretty sure that the crank bearings are on there way out aswell so it's not worth doing all the associated stuff, I'm not confident enough yet to do a full rebuild, could cope with stripping the engine out and dropping a lower mileage one in though.

I bought the car 5 years ago for £600, was really a stop gap until I could afford a T16 (NCB was required), now I'm more in mind to get another T8, I wanna mod the engine a bit more than usual sp filter n exhaust, T8 are a bit cheaper + simpler to repair.

Uhhhhhhh.....Doh!
I was hoping to get down to Goodwood but I think I've got too much to do now, the car was fine before christmas, MOT'd with very minor fail (brake line, CV outer, hazzard warning) everythings just deteriorating now!

·
Registered
569 Posts
i expect an engine and tranny like that on ebay would go for something like 5 or 6 hundred, maybe even a little more. pretty crazy that so often you can buy a complete parts car for the same as an engine and tranny!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts