SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Throughout the months I've owned my '99 9-3, I've come across NUMEROUS trails of evidence that the previous owner loved to take wiring problems (and non-problems) in to his own hands. I still don't know what half of it's for. I think the worst one was random wires and a sticker for 'Smart Start' underneath the center console and next to the ignition :oops:

Anyways, the latest problem is this - I've been working on replacing all the speakers, and it seems that the previous owner did something wonky. I have 0 experience with sound systems other than just replacing speakers and soldering head units. Here are the symptoms:

Front left dash speaker is very quiet. Front right dash speaker is fine.
Rear left speaker is fine. Rear right speaker is very quiet.
Turning the balance to the right INCREASES the volume in the left rear speaker, and the front right dash speaker

What's going on here? What exactly did the previous owner do? I can get sound from the front left dash and right rear, but it is barely audible.

My first impression is that the left channel for the amp was on it's way out, so the owner compensated for the lopsided sound by switching some wires around and making it so only the left rear and dash right would get sound. Perhaps he did this by giving the left rear speaker power by switching the rear speaker inputs in the amp? So the sound was more 'symmetrical'?

If you took the time to read this, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Sounds like he just confused the left and right channels. It could be mixing up of the speaker pairs as well (eg, LF+ and RR- on one speaker). You're going to have to pull the stereo out and inspect the wiring to know what happened, but I'd virtually guarantee it's solved right there in the dash.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like he just confused the left and right channels. It could be mixing up of the speaker pairs as well (eg, LF+ and RR- on one speaker). You're going to have to pull the stereo out and inspect the wiring to know what happened, but I'd virtually guarantee it's solved right there in the dash.
I guess I just remembered that the amp for the speakers is in the radio. However, it's the factory radio - why would anyone have switched the wiring in the factory radio?

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
Maybe he had another radio in there and switched it back for sale? Or perhaps he had his own amp? Head into the radio area and explore.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Agreed. I mean, for all we know it's that the factory unit died and it's just being weird. Place to start is in the dash - see what that looks like then formulate a plan. No real point in speculating when two minutes will probably yield definitive answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts