SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently re-worked my sound system and by-passed the factory system. I installed a Nakamichi CD player in the DIN opening where the CD player is and modified the trim from the non-working player to cover the gap. The Nak head unit powers all speakers in the car except for the Infinity Basslink. All speakers have custom crossovers to keep the impedance a 4ohms - pretty much like how home speaker crossovers work. Here are the notes I took for wiring and amp locations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've thought about doing this as well, I never use the cd changer due to my AUX in, did you use original wiring or run your own from the new headunit ? What does the SID now show ? Is it working correctly for the other functions ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My stock radio still works - I left AMP1 under the drivers seat connected and it runs the center and door speakers - actually doesn't sound that bad. Good for listening to the news. I did use the wiring for the front 3 1/2 seperates and the 4" inch rear separates that come off of the EHU - this allowed me to branch of from there to the remaining speakers. I will eventually install seperate amps for the speakers, but for now it works and sounds pretty amazing as it is.

Oh, I did use diodes to keep the signal from one system feeding back into the other - essentially have two sound systems working in the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much to have you install if i come up to CT with all the parts
I just moved back to CT from NC! I'm not doing sound professionally anymore, but can offer any information that you might need with getting your system up and running. Cheers!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here's a pic of the CD45z in the lower DIN opening.

Hi, how did you do this? Looks a very neat job ;ol;

Did the new head unit just slide/lock into place as it does on a normal single din equipped car or did you have to replace and modify a new cage to fit?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Very nice job. We could of used you around here about 10 years ago when the system just came out and nobody could figure the thing out.

And Nakamichi is still in business? I had some components in the 80's of them--they were state of the art back then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
griffin - yes, just slid right in and actually it just sits there perfectly like it was meant to be. The trim worked out that all I needed was double stick tape on the top to hold it in place.

Cosmic - This was a fun system to figure out! The factory system wasn't bad, but I like quick and easy control of my sound, plus the Nak provides two AUX inputs and 3 low level outputs - and it will play any CD I put in it without skipping a beat. Back in the 80's there was some great equipment out there and I still like alot of the old school stuff!

·
Registered
954 Posts
griffin - yes, just slid right in and actually it just sits there perfectly like it was meant to be. The trim worked out that all I needed was double stick tape on the top to hold it in place.
Looks a very neat job ;ol;

So for the fascia did you simply detach it from the old CD player then cut it to single din size? Does the fascia then clip back in ok?

I'll be fitting a flip down Pioneer DEH-80PRS if I go this route, just concerned about it fouling the bottom trim when I drop the face to insert a CD or need to pull the face out at night.

Have you left the fibre optic cables and original amps in place then routed new speaker cables/amps?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks a very neat job ;ol;

So for the fascia did you simply detach it from the old CD player then cut it to single din size? Does the fascia then clip back in ok?

Yes, it's cut din size but there's no bottom - just sides and top - I'll take a picture tomorrow and post.

I'll be fitting a flip down Pioneer DEH-80PRS if I go this route, just concerned about it fouling the bottom trim when I drop the face to insert a CD or need to pull the face out at night.

First try fitting your radio in the location to see how it works as it sits in there.

Have you left the fibre optic cables and original amps in place then routed new speaker cables/amps?
Yes, all fiber optics in place, just bypassed the on for the CD player.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What sort of diodes did you use to stop the signal feeding back, maybe you could update your install diagram you posted with the location of them ? ;ol;

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes, all fiber optics in place, just bypassed the on for the CD player.
Thats great help thanks ;ol;

I was all set to get a 9-5 Aero but this audio info has really swayed me towards the 9-3 instead! I've always fancied the v6 Aero :cheesy:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thought it best to ask you've been and done it!! ;ol;

How did you tap into the cars existing wiring to power up the new head unit? I've done quite a bit to mine over the last month, mainly deadening, but just cant figure out a way to power my Pioneer unit up and where to connect the following:
Switched +12v
Permanent +12v
Earth
Illumination

The head units fitted but nothings wired up yet, fibre optic loops in place behind the CD player and its working fine ;ol; and I'm keeping both Amps 1 & 2 connected to the ECU to save anymore hassle....but they wont be used.

Also how did you secure your Nakamichi into the cage? Did the locking pins catch ok and hold it there? This Pioneer slides in fine...but keeps on going! I'm thinking maybe a couple small screws each side will hold it securely? My ash tray also needs to be trimmed as I cant get the bloody face down far enough to change CD's :roll:

Thread Here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252839&page=5
^^^^^getting there slowly :lol:

On a side note, I missed out on a Nakamichi CD-45z last week....my connection dropped and I got outbid :x Gutted....no....I'm devastated!!!!! I'd love to try one side by side with this DEH-80PRS then keep one and sell the other, I bet the Nak sounds nicer ;ol;

·
Registered
9 Posts
My stock radio still works - I left AMP1 under the drivers seat connected and it runs the center and door speakers - actually doesn't sound that bad. Good for listening to the news. I did use the wiring for the front 3 1/2 seperates and the 4" inch rear separates that come off of the EHU - this allowed me to branch of from there to the remaining speakers. I will eventually install seperate amps for the speakers, but for now it works and sounds pretty amazing as it is.

Oh, I did use diodes to keep the signal from one system feeding back into the other - essentially have two sound systems working in the car.
My friend. If my Amp1 is gone can I recover the bass signals that go to this device via the fiber optic?

What is cheaper and better in your opinion:

1. A new aftermarket radio and bypassing Amp1 (fiber optics loop)
2. Getting a new Saab Amp1 fro Eeuroparts?

My goal is to have all the audio frequencies. I know I could get a basic aftermarket amp, bring signal from the dash speakers and have all my 6 speakers sounding (center dash is disconnected), but that would sound horrible without the bass.

What do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
19,060 Posts
Already answered in audio section. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.