SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1999 9-3 that "has a new clutch, just needs bled"... Yeah right...
It actually has a 2.3 from an 01 9-5, and the guy had a "turbo delete"...

Along with a lot of other stuff, I replaced the clutch master cylinder with a junk yard one, bled the clutch, and I was on my way and for a couple weeks it was fine. Then one day I go to move my car and as I'm reversing it starts stalling out and the clutch goes to the floor. Well that sucks. I figure the junk yard master was bad so I put a new one in and I can't get the thing to bleed. Well that sounds like the slave is bad, but wait, he says he paid some very intellectual and sophisticated person to replace it with the clutch, how could that be???

Well I didn't buy it and I had this rattling with the clutch engaged that went away disengaged, indicative of a bad input shaft bearing, so I figured I'd do them both. I dropped the tranny (actually pretty easy to get out, but I'm dreading getting it back in) and alas, the slave cylinder/throw out bearing fell apart once it came out. It had to be the original with 150,000 miles on it and I figure this lovely gentleman didn't replace it because he stripped the torx bits. Cool. A couple screw extractors, a hammer, and a chisel later, I get those suckers out and replace it.

Then I notice the pressure plate fingers aren't even all the way around, I figured the guy didn't torque them right so I loosen them and torque them to spec but they won't even out. So I take it off and find this very smart guy must have impacted them on and cracked the clutch in the process, turns out my rattle was metal pieces off the clutch disc and the were getting between the fingers and the clutch...

Sorry to vent. Anyway to the point, the otherwise brand new looking pressure plate has a hotspot, I'll include a pic, my question is do I need a new one? Could I have it resurfaced? The flywheel is definitely shot, and I'll include the pic of the clutch for giggles.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Saw Automotive tire Gas Rim Gear

Gas Auto part Circle Machine Rim

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well, you could use some damaged parts and find yourself right back where you are in a short time.

·
Registered
19,754 Posts
For the amount of work involved, I'd replace it.

I bought my Viggen /Sachs kit from Neo Bros in the UK. $172 delivered to the USA for clutch disc and pressure plate. Slave Cyl is $70 more.

Surface your flywheel. You're supposed to use new bolts (TTY?). I don't think most people do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the amount of work involved, I'd replace it.

I bought my Viggen /Sachs kit from Neo Bros in the UK. $172 delivered to the USA for clutch disc and pressure plate. Slave Cyl is $70 more.

Surface your flywheel. You're supposed to use new bolts (TTY?). I don't think most people do.

I bought a new flywheel cause as far as I know with hotspots like that it can’t be resurfaced. I didn’t know the bolts needed replaced though! Thanks! You say other people don’t replace the bolts, do you know what the possible problems are with that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts