SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

ECU is packaged up for a ChipCenter tuning - I need to prepare the car for Stage 3...

I've already got all the hardware mods installed, so I've got to:
  • Remove MBC+A - can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find the original configuration?
  • Remove / clean / lube wastegate - will copper grease be suitable? Anything I need to be careful of?
  • Replace rocker cover (got one in the garage waiting!)
  • Change spark plugs
  • Change battery (while the car is off the run I've got an Optimax Redtop to fit - just need to extend the earth cable to the block)
Can anyone suggest anything else I should do?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
StormCrow said:
Remove MBC+A - can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find the original configuration?
If you mean the hose connections, it depends on what you did with the BPC valve. The connections on the valve housing are labeled, although it is hard to see the letters. I would consider cleaning it if its been out of use for a while.

BPC Valve

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm in the same boat just waiting for my Stage 3 ecu, fuel regulator and exhaust to arrive.

I might suggest:
• check tranmission fluid or better yet replace.
• oil and filter change
• brake fluid flush (check pads and rotors)
• air filter cleaning or replacement
• check PCV lines (and update if T7)

When you say 'Rocker cover' I assume that you mean 'Cam cover' or 'Valve cover' (we don't have rockers as those are reserved for pushrod engines....or is that Brit speak?)....but checking for sludge is good (perhaps your model year doesn't have this issue?).

Best of luck...and fun!
Robert

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
The '97 is T5 - no PCV update offered or needed. If I might suggest - update the IC to at least the Viggen, which can be had for cheap, if this is not one of the hardware mods that has already been performed. If mileage exceeds 100K, check the timing chain tensioner to see if you might benefit from replacement of the chain at this point. You really don't want additional stress on this if it is near its tension limit.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Definatley upgrade the IC if you are still runing the original double return one as it will strangle your engine. Make sure your BPC works properly - correct resistance between pins and blows through correctly. Also make sure your base boost is set to what the chip supplier recommends.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RBatsch said:
I'm in the same boat just waiting for my Stage 3 ecu, fuel regulator and exhaust to arrive.

I might suggest:
• check tranmission fluid or better yet replace.
• oil and filter change
• brake fluid flush (check pads and rotors)
• air filter cleaning or replacement
• check PCV lines (and update if T7)

When you say 'Rocker cover' I assume that you mean 'Cam cover' or 'Valve cover' (we don't have rockers as those are reserved for pushrod engines....or is that Brit speak?)....but checking for sludge is good (perhaps your model year doesn't have this issue?).

Best of luck...and fun!
Robert
Rocker cover is indeed Brit speak for cam cover!

I have already fitted a Viggen IC and the brakes were new about 4 months ago (Viggen fronts) so they've all been flushed recently.

Don't need the PCV update, (T5) but I will check and probably replace the transmission oil...

BPC needs replacing as it came into contact with the auxillary belt at some point (got a new one in the garage).

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
StormCrow said:
Rocker cover is indeed Brit speak for cam cover!

I have already fitted a Viggen IC and the brakes were new about 4 months ago (Viggen fronts) so they've all been flushed recently.

Don't need the PCV update, (T5) but I will check and probably replace the transmission oil...

BPC needs replacing as it came into contact with the auxillary belt at some point (got a new one in the garage).

Cheers guys.
Damn, I was going to give you my Vigg i/c for $50. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started tonight, although as I've just moved in, my garage isn't really a garage more of a dumping ground, plus I've no power or lights so I had to run an extension :roll:

Think I've sorted the BPC - just to check:

• C hose goes to compressor side of turbo (located underneath the turbo)
  • R hose goes to hose coming out of turbo inlet pipe
  • W hose goes to wastegate.
Have a new Optima red top battery to fit, earth wire to block needs extending but it's a PITA to remove, had to remove the TB pipe including BOV and battery tray, and then it was stuck solid! Not sure the best course of action yet, but have fitted new positive battery terminal (with built in voltmeter!) as well.

Just for the hell of it, I've also removed my coolant tank cap, power steering cap, washer bottle neck (which was misaligned anyway so leaked!) and taken them and the TB intake pipe to clean. Used a combination of washing up liquid and for the more stubbon bits, washing powder and warm water!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts