SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope that you can advise me because I am pulling my hair out. I currently have a 4 speaker stereo which i want to upgrade to 7 speakers. (i've heard how good the 7 speaker system is :cry: )

Anyway I got hold of AMP1 and the three speakers. Checked that there was a big black plug under the passenger seat to plug AMP1 into and sent it all off to my local Saab dealer.

He has fitted everything but it is not working because he says that i need an optical cable that goes from AMP1 to the back of the radio. The plug under the seat has got two fibre optic connectors so why would I need any more cables. i thought that this was all installed as standard! Oh and to top it all off apparently I cannot buy these fibre-optic cables anywhere so there £340 down the drain!

Cheers

Boyd :cry:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Several people here have done the "official" upgrade from 4 to 7 speakers.
I don't remember about needing the fiber cable, but I'm pretty sure AMP1 needs to be added to the bus via Tech2.

Try a search.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must admit that i have never heard of this cable before and I have been investigating this upgrade for some time. The Saab dealer has come back to me and said that he can get the cable for £160 which is $320. Daylight robbery but I'm committed now so have told him to order it in.

Hopefully I won't be able to hear all the dash rattles once it's been installed!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I will look into this a bit later if i get time lynn.

It probably won't please you to hear that I was one of the bidders against you on fleabay, although I didnt win the first amp from you (when you won the speakers).

However, the guy who beat you to the first one is on this board too!!
Fortunately for him, the cables were part of the deal.

I was also bidding against you for the next AMP (the one you did win). If you had let me know on here, I would have told you I would only go up to £75 plus p+p.

If you said you were going to go more, I would have stepped aside and let you have it for less!!

I have spoken to Saab some time ago who told me the leads to AMP1 only go from the dash down as far as the left (passenger) footwell.
The additional cable is to travel the last part between the footwell and the passenger seat floor.

They didn't give me a price but I didn't get the impression it would be over £100 :eek: !!

CTRLZ is correct, it will also need to be Tech2'd after fitting so that is potentially another £30-40 to add to the cost.

If you ever decide it isn't for you, I would buy it off you for the price you paid. My upgrades have been a well documented project for some time (going from ICM1 to ICM3 and speaker upgrades).

EDIT: missed the bit where you said youhave already ordered it in.... Oh well, back to my search!!

good luck :):)

EDIT:
I don't think the big black plug is for the AMP1, I thought it was for the seat sensors, heated pads, pretensioners etc. (my black connector is connected to something and I don't have an AMP1 so it seems logical)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi chr15gb

You're certainly on the ball with fleabay! I'm glad that you did not bid any higher as I had a maximum of £175 on the amp. I was determined not to let it go after losing the last one by £2. (I had to go out and was confident of winning it.)

I'm gutted about needing to buy the cable. I was sure that I had everything. The connector under my front seat is not currently connected to anything and looks like it will plug straight into the amplifier. (It's got two fibre optic cable connectors and what looks like power and speaker connections. It is on the right hand side on the floor at the front of the seat.) The Saab dealer said that they have plugged this in but some more more fibre optic is required so that the amp can be seen by the rest of the system. The bit that costs £139+VAT. I told him that it didn't sound right but that's what he said I needed. I have no idea where it connects to the amplifier! My initial suspicion was that they had just not made the Tech2 change but surely they could not be that dim??

There is another connector at the back of the seat which looks like it is for seatbelt sensor etc.

I was planning to get an ICM3 but i think that I will have spent enough on the stereo by the end of this. (One went on fleabay for £400!!!) Also I still don't know if the AMP1 that i bought actually works! Hopefully it will all be fitted by tomorrow.

Good luck with getting your system upgraded! I will let you know how it goes tomorrow

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i don't know much about what you guys are talking about but...

Why didn't you install an aftermarket amp and speakers? Wouldn't it have sounded a million times better, been cheaper, and easier to install? I think the sound quality from amp1 is poor, but i am using it just cause its there. BTW, i have replaced all speakers that amp1 is powering.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
rob,

you need amp1 to get any bass out of the system.
Not a problem in the USA because none of our cars come with the 4-speaker system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lol @ Lynn,
You didn't lose the first one by £2, the guy who won was going to go up to £170 so from that point of view, the second one effectively saved you almost £100!

It does seem strange what your dealer is saying if you already have the connectors under the seat. He WILL have to tech2 it to see it though so they should have already tried to charge you for one Tech2 (or at least told you they have tried it)

From what my dealer told me, there must be connectors around the passenger footwell area, IIRC he said it was on the outer edge in front of the door but I am not certain exactly where.

Perhaps you could have a poke about for the other end of those cables behind the trim just to be sure they are connected there too.

My ICM3 cost £200. I have seen them go for £185, Kastross (another member here) has just paid £300 but like you say, they do go for over £400.

@robhurlburt - You have no idea just how much I wish Saab had demonstrated that kind of common sense when designing this.
They must have invested hundreds of thousands developing a 4 speaker system so poor, money could simply not buy one off the shelf!

Put your Cell phone on Loud Speaker and play music through it in your car whilst driving.... then you will know what the 4 speaker set up sounds like.

@ctrlz - Lol at the PM. I used to use those a few years ago, you are right, I should have had a go this time too. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
ctrlz said:
rob,

you need amp1 to get any bass out of the system.
Not a problem in the USA because none of our cars come with the 4-speaker system.
ahh, i didn't know this...

GL with the install!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aftermarket stereo! If I could find somebody that could fit a Saab one (cheaply) I would be happy.

So it looks like I have the correct lead poking out under the passenger seat but it does not go all the way back to the system in the dash. Now that's what i call a wiring loom!

If I'd known the wiring was not in place I would have opted for an upgrade to a 13 speaker system and Sat Nav then at least I would have got something for my money!!! Not to mention integrated Bluetooth and DAB. Maybe I should have bought a Vauxhall Vectra after all!

Actually I really want a convertible but I thought that if the stereo was ok I might feel happier with the saloon. Little did I realise that it would probably have been cheaper to trade it in for an Aero Convertible!

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I had my 2003, I did the 7 to 13 speaker upgrade. The instructions from Saab were talking about going into the kickpanel and coupling two fiber optic cables together; and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what they were talking about, since I already had the cable active and running all the way back to the trunk for OnStar (Yeah!!!). That might be something you need to do in your case.
Genuine Saab has the upgrade instuctions posted on thier website in the tech section. (If not, shoot me a PM; I think I have the pdf somewhere) You might want to grab them and have a look. Look at the section where they talk about locating the cable in the kickpanel area (drivers side in the US, it might be Pass. side in the UK).

·
Registered
381 Posts
That sounds exactly what I understand jpk.

Hopefully lynn can sort that without paying all that money for an unnecessary cable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey all,

Lynn,
Im the guy that won the 1st AMP1 witht he wiring set up. I still havent fitted it as I havent found the instructions on how to... I do however know someone who has the AMP1 set up in his and will help me get it installed by mirroring what was in his. Sorry ur having trouble connecting yours up though.

As for the ICM3, I saw one with the sat nav DVD reader and positioning unit sell for less than another seller who just sold the ICM3 alone!! I got mine from Essex Saab (a used one) for £176 inc fitting. If you are anywhere near the South East area (London / Romford) I would suggst giving them a call and seeing if they have anymore. (FYI, its the guy there thats helping me to install my amp).

chr15GB,
Neo Brothers also had an AMP (yesterday) which i cant remember how much it was, but it wasnt too far from what i paid for mine, so it may be worth giving them a call too.

JPK,

would you have a link to the genuine Saab website (the part where they list the instructions)? I find that website a bit of a maze at best.
Im 2 steps closer to completing my upgrades to turn the car into what it should have been like to start with... only thing i need now is the Dension gateway 500 (which i'm not prepared to pay £265 (for the parts alone), then decent alloys (instead of the standard 15" ones) and finally, colour code the skirts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I guess I was mistaken about it being on their website. Send me a PM (Click on my username and select send PM) with an e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you once I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Prestige 13 speaker upgrade

I just got all this for £200:

4 x tweeters (2 front, 2 rear)
2 x 6x9 Bass
1 x parcel shelf wiring loom that runs to the rear electrical centre
1 X Mounting Bracket
1 x AMP2
1 x CD Changer Power Connector. (With spare power branch to connect to DVD Player power Cable)
1 x CD Changer to AMP2 Fibre Loop
1 x CD Changer (CDCR)
1 x CD Changer Cassette
1 x Side panel cover

Its all divorced correctly, will be a nice addition to my sat nav install when I get the rest of the bits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WooSAABy,

I thought i was king of the bargain hunts, but that has to be the best I've ever seen!! Do you mind revealing where u got these from? :D Im not so much interested in the CD changer as I am waiting for the Dension gateway 500 to drop in price, but I am lookig for a pair of 6x9s and what ever else i can get my hands on!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
L_Boogie said:
WooSAABy,

I thought i was king of the bargain hunts, but that has to be the best I've ever seen!! Do you mind revealing where u got these from? :D Im not so much interested in the CD changer as I am waiting for the Dension gateway 500 to drop in price, but I am lookig for a pair of 6x9s and what ever else i can get my hands on!
I presume you saw my othere thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114710 where it shows I got the whole sat nav/telephone (minus some wires) for £400?!

I got it from a fellow saaber who thought it would be of interest to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got my Saab back from the dealers after 2 days and lots of money! I'm pretty pleased with the audio upgrade. It's not fantastic but much better than before. At least I now have some bass response! I also got an AUX in fitted and this works a treat. Much better than my old 'illegal' FM transmitter.

However I am not very happy with the quality of the fitting and have complained to the dealer.

1. Thet have scratched my dash surround. It's matt black and they have scratched it so that the shiny plastic underneath can be seen.

2. They have broken one of the tabs holding the centre vent in place

3. The radio unit has got a slightly lifted corner as if somebody tried to remove it with a screwdriver.

3. They left all the un-needed bits and scrap on my carpet. Plastic ties, fibre optic cable ends etc. Seriously un-impressed. When I take my Volkwagen to it's dealer for even minor work they fully valet it

So a few complaints on Monday and hopefully i can get it resolved.

Think I'll take my ICM2 elsewhere for fitting whn I find one on eBay.

Also I did need the extra fibre optic cables and they cost £160. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts