SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
On a US 2005 Arc with pre-wiring, is there something special you have to do to be able to use the keypad on the dash? Is this just for euro cars (like the steering wheel controls)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
This is where I am at. I ran into a dead end though. The 375 connector Blue/White and Gray/White both seem to make the speakers work when connected to a positive line out from the parrot (i.e. green). If I hook two positives (i.e. green and blue) to them, it gets louder. Both hookups (+/- ;and +/+)yield some noise though. I am thoroughly confused. It also appears to be irrelevant whether or not I hook up the line out ground.

The 375 connection wiring is what I could gleem from Saaba's, Dalli LLamma's posts and by looking at my actual connection. Note that the wiring colors are based on the Female Connector that I bought from Saab, not the Male Connector installed in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How to install in a European 9-3 with TEL1

This is how I installed a SonyEricsson HCB-300 in a European 9-3 2004 mod.
The car is prewired for handsfree (TEL1)

What you need are the Cabel Harness (Saab part number 12801584) and of course the handsfree set:)
In Norway the cabel harness costs NOK 210 (approx US$30)
Remove the right hand side panel of the floor console. The connector for the handsfree are easy to locate. In my car it was only two loose ends under the console, the 18-pin female handsfree connector, and the antenna.
For a Bluetooth handsfree set you will not need the antenna, you use the phones antenna.
Inside the floorconsole there is plenty of space to put the HF unit and the wires.

This is the pin assignment and color coding for the cabel harness:
Pin Function Color
1 Ground Black
2-3 Not in use
4 Mute Yellow
5-6 Not in use
7 Line output ground Blue/White
8 Not in use
9 Mic ground Green
10 12V Key controlled Red/Blue
11 12V Power Supply Red
12-13 Not in use
14 Mic low level output Orange
15 Not in use
16 Line output signal Grey/White
17 Not in use
18 Mic high level output Grey/Brown
Check your HF documentation to find the corresponding wire for the HF.

Check with the handsfree manufactorer whether your handsfree uses a high or low level mic output. If you are unsure try the low level first.
The mic input in the HCB-300 is a mini-jack. Have always tought that the center of the jack was the mic ground... Not on the SonyEricsson HCB-300... On that the mic output was on the center of the minijack.

I put the remote control over the headunit, besides the cupholder. To do that, I needed to remove the head unit. Was a bit "scared" for doing that, but it was surprisingly easy. Use two butterknives on each side of the unit and gently pull it out. The procedure for this is described several other places.
Drill or cut a small hole beside the cupholder for the wire to the remotecontrol.

Asked my Saab dealer what it would cost to have them install this for me. Answer was NOK 4500 (US$700)
The parts (HF unit and cabel harness) costs approx US$270.
So, this was an easy way to save more than US$400 in less than a hours work!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dnort said:
This is how I installed a SonyEricsson HCB-300 in a European 9-3 2004 mod.
The car is prewired for handsfree (TEL1)

What you need are the Cabel Harness (Saab part number 12801584) and of course the handsfree set:)
In Norway the cabel harness costs NOK 210 (approx US$30)
Remove the right hand side panel of the floor console. The connector for the handsfree are easy to locate. In my car it was only two loose ends under the console, the 18-pin female handsfree connector, and the antenna.
For a Bluetooth handsfree set you will not need the antenna, you use the phones antenna.
Inside the floorconsole there is plenty of space to put the HF unit and the wires.

This is the pin assignment and color coding for the cabel harness:
Pin Function Color

1 Ground Black
2-3 Not in use
4 Mute Yellow
5-6 Not in use
7 Line output ground Blue/White
8 Not in use
9 Mic ground Green
10 12V Key controlled Red/Blue
11 12V Power Supply Red
12-13 Not in use
14 Mic low level output Orange
15 Not in use
16 Line output signal Grey/White
17 Not in use
18 Mic high level output Grey/Brown

Check your HF documentation to find the corresponding wire for the HF.

Check with the handsfree manufactorer whether your handsfree uses a high or low level mic output. If you are unsure try the low level first.
The mic input in the HCB-300 is a mini-jack. Have always tought that the center of the jack was the mic ground... Not on the SonyEricsson HCB-300... On that the mic output was on the center of the minijack.

I put the remote control over the headunit, besides the cupholder. To do that, I needed to remove the head unit. Was a bit "scared" for doing that, but it was surprisingly easy. Use two butterknives on each side of the unit and gently pull it out. The procedure for this is described several other places.
Drill or cut a small hole beside the cupholder for the wire to the remotecontrol.

Asked my Saab dealer what it would cost to have them install this for me. Answer was NOK 4500 (US$700)
The parts (HF unit and cabel harness) costs approx US$270.
So, this was an easy way to save more than US$400 in less than a hours work!
Thanks for the message. What year car do you have? You seem to have the same wiring which is good to see someone else with the same setup.

Also, how is the sound/volume with your setup? When I hooked up a positive signal out to 16 and negative to 7, the volume was weak when compared to the radio volume. This is with the Parrot and the cell phone volumes turned all the way up? That's why I ended up connecting tow positive signal outs to 16 and 7. Clear only up to a certain volume level on the radio. There is a slight high pitched noise coming from some type of line noise. Could be cleaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a 2004 Arc.

The sound is OK, or as good it can be in a Saab:confused: , when using the HF it is approx. the same level as the radio/CD/Aux.
No need to turn up volume on the cell.
Only feedback I have received is that my voice is a bit low, but not that low that it is a bproblem hearing me. Think that is to be expected, due to the distance to the mic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have been wondering...where is the mic??

I'm actually thinking of using the mic that comes w the HF kit; I'm told it is better quality.

Dnort said:
It is a 2004 Arc.

The sound is OK, or as good it can be in a Saab:confused: , when using the HF it is approx. the same level as the radio/CD/Aux.
No need to turn up volume on the cell.
Only feedback I have received is that my voice is a bit low, but not that low that it is a bproblem hearing me. Think that is to be expected, due to the distance to the mic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
heatvent said:
I have been wondering...where is the mic??

I'm actually thinking of using the mic that comes w the HF kit; I'm told it is better quality.
The mic is located on either side of the light/sunroof switches in the roof. You see those two angles circles...those are the mics.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay, this stuff has been driving me batty. Heatvent has helped me a bunch on the side, but i'm still confused on how to get the speakers to have the sound come out of them. (heatvent, you helped a ton, i'm just illiterate when it comes to electrical stuff). So, here's what i've got...

375 female connector thats in 2005 saabs (prewired).

I bought the male connector from saabcatalog.com that connects to it

I have a Parrot CK3100 and a phone that is compatible with it.

The parrot has it's main box, and then has a Power cable, and has a mute cable.

I followed the following connections posted by heatvent...however, am unsure what the EHU is, and how do i connect a single wire to the 375 and the EHU (or do i not need to)? I also ignored the mic connections, i'll just use the parrot mic because it just seems easier.

So, what i did was remove the wires from the male connectors of the parrot (both power and mute cables) I then followed these connections, and put the matching colors from the parrot to the respective color on the 375 male connector i bought.(ie:took the black male piece from the parrot power and parrot mute cables, and attached them both to the black wire from the 375 male connector...this connected the ground wires...correct).

I did this for all of the other connections.

THEN. There was a lone yellowish cable with a male piece on the parrot power cable. I connected this male end to the very short yellow female wire on the parrot mute cable. This gave power to the mute cable and allowed the mute to work (after the appropriate wires were joined).

Finally, I am left with the green, brown, blue, and white wires from the parrot cables. Following the chart, i assumed the green and brown went to the blue/white and grey/white wires from the 375 male piece. This did not seem to work. (note: i was using the wires popped out from the parrot male cable, not the extra long really skinny wires that come from the base of the parrot power cable)

With all of these wires left, i've tried possible combinations to get the speakers to work. (i even popped out the female ends from the parrot power and mute cables and tried attaching those to the 375 male connector).

If you were able to follow any of this...and hopefully it wasn't too confusing, please please help me figure out how to connect the speakers to have sound come out of them. If you happen to live near Stamford, CT and know how to do this, maybe we can meet up and go over it. obviously i'll repay you for your help. (i want to learn how to do this, which is why i don't go to the pros).

Thanks in advance. Here's the connection chart that i've used.

·
Registered
430 Posts
DMBeer41 said:
The mic is located on either side of the light/sunroof switches in the roof. You see those two angles circles...those are the mics.
Actually those are the motion sensors. The mic is located further forward behind one of the oval shapped slots near the sunroof switch. If you remove the cover, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thinking hard about doing this

Guys, this is an amazing thread so far, but have any US based owners been able to do this in a 2005 93 and make it work well?
I have a 2005 93 Aero, with everything except Nav. I have the phone prewiring.
I'm making my shopping list based on DMBeer41 and Heatvent's lists. (Thanks to all of you).
Sounds like a lot of work, but this just seems to be so cool. Using the steering wheel buttons the keypad....come on, that rocks! :)
So this list is so far
The Parrot CK3000 kit
The Saab harness (Saab part number 12801584)
A long weekend..

Did I miss anything?

Thank you so much for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah. I think there is one BIG thing missing from this thread. Apparently, the CK3000 only has audio out through its ISO connectors (i.e. one connector coming from the mute cable to the radito and the other connector also coming from the mute cable to the speakers). THERE IS NO BROWN / GREEN LINE OUT ON THE CK3000. I misstankingly was using he brown and green SPEAKER OUT connections which would power the front speakers.

The CK3100 kit has the same speaker connections PLUS A SEPARATE BROWN / GREEN LINE OUT (+ & -).

I AM GOING TO SWITCH TO A CK3100 KIT. FOUND IT FOR $158 ON ECOST W/ FREE SHIPPING.

For those of you who have a CK3000, if anyone would like to post the correct way to splice to the line out on the 375 and/or the EHU to the Parrot CK3000, please do so.

I am putting in the CK3100 tomorrow. It'll take just a little time to put it in, maybe a little longer on deciding where to put the remote (ANY IDEAS?).

GriffinAero said:
Guys, this is an amazing thread so far, but have any US based owners been able to do this in a 2005 93 and make it work well?
I have a 2005 93 Aero, with everything except Nav. I have the phone prewiring.
I'm making my shopping list based on DMBeer41 and Heatvent's lists. (Thanks to all of you).
Sounds like a lot of work, but this just seems to be so cool. Using the steering wheel buttons the keypad....come on, that rocks! :)
So this list is so far
The Parrot CK3000 kit
The Saab harness (Saab part number 12801584)
A long weekend..

Did I miss anything?

Thank you so much for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
One clarification. The chart I put together is to demonstrate where the parrot kit will splice to the 375 connector pre-installed. You only have to do that part. The 375 connector is already connected the the EHU, Mic, power, etc. I put the EHU connections in the chart for reference and to show which Parrot lines connect to what connections on the EHU through the 375 connector to make sure they are going in the right spot (not all 9-3's are pre-wired and many forums have the parrot kit directly connected to the EHU because there is, of course, no 375 connector).

DMBeer41 said:
Okay, this stuff has been driving me batty. Heatvent has helped me a bunch on the side, but i'm still confused on how to get the speakers to have the sound come out of them. (heatvent, you helped a ton, i'm just illiterate when it comes to electrical stuff). So, here's what i've got...

375 female connector thats in 2005 saabs (prewired).

I bought the male connector from saabcatalog.com that connects to it

I have a Parrot CK3100 and a phone that is compatible with it.

The parrot has it's main box, and then has a Power cable, and has a mute cable.

I followed the following connections posted by heatvent...however, am unsure what the EHU is, and how do i connect a single wire to the 375 and the EHU (or do i not need to)? I also ignored the mic connections, i'll just use the parrot mic because it just seems easier.

So, what i did was remove the wires from the male connectors of the parrot (both power and mute cables) I then followed these connections, and put the matching colors from the parrot to the respective color on the 375 male connector i bought.(ie:took the black male piece from the parrot power and parrot mute cables, and attached them both to the black wire from the 375 male connector...this connected the ground wires...correct).

I did this for all of the other connections.

THEN. There was a lone yellowish cable with a male piece on the parrot power cable. I connected this male end to the very short yellow female wire on the parrot mute cable. This gave power to the mute cable and allowed the mute to work (after the appropriate wires were joined).

Finally, I am left with the green, brown, blue, and white wires from the parrot cables. Following the chart, i assumed the green and brown went to the blue/white and grey/white wires from the 375 male piece. This did not seem to work. (note: i was using the wires popped out from the parrot male cable, not the extra long really skinny wires that come from the base of the parrot power cable)

With all of these wires left, i've tried possible combinations to get the speakers to work. (i even popped out the female ends from the parrot power and mute cables and tried attaching those to the 375 male connector).

If you were able to follow any of this...and hopefully it wasn't too confusing, please please help me figure out how to connect the speakers to have sound come out of them. If you happen to live near Stamford, CT and know how to do this, maybe we can meet up and go over it. obviously i'll repay you for your help. (i want to learn how to do this, which is why i don't go to the pros).

Thanks in advance. Here's the connection chart that i've used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ck3100

I'm going to look into the CK3100. Please let me know if you have any success. Thanks for the heads up.

heatvent said:
Yeah. I think there is one BIG thing missing from this thread. Apparently, the CK3000 only has audio out through its ISO connectors (i.e. one connector coming from the mute cable to the radito and the other connector also coming from the mute cable to the speakers). THERE IS NO BROWN / GREEN LINE OUT ON THE CK3000. I misstankingly was using he brown and green SPEAKER OUT connections which would power the front speakers.

The CK3100 kit has the same speaker connections PLUS A SEPARATE BROWN / GREEN LINE OUT (+ & -).

I AM GOING TO SWITCH TO A CK3100 KIT. FOUND IT FOR $158 ON ECOST W/ FREE SHIPPING.

For those of you who have a CK3000, if anyone would like to post the correct way to splice to the line out on the 375 and/or the EHU to the Parrot CK3000, please do so.

I am putting in the CK3100 tomorrow. It'll take just a little time to put it in, maybe a little longer on deciding where to put the remote (ANY IDEAS?).

·
Registered
37 Posts
You seem to be the first person I see with a succesfull install of a parrot bluetooth kit. The CK3100 LCD seemed a bit much for me. Do you have a picture of your install? Where did you put the LCD display?

JWadle said:
Here are the instructions I sent to another member for installing a Parrot CK3100 in a US model 9-3 using the Etadyne cable. The CK3000 wiring should be the same, although I've had both and highly recommend the CK3100 with the LCD display/control.

Regards - John

-------------------------

The CK3100 has two wires separate from the ISO connector wiring harness that are “line out” for the speaker. These two (green, brown) connect to the Etadyne cable and on to pins 9&10 on the EHU connector.
Here is the complete list of connections:

Parrot Etadyne EHU/Car

Green to Red to Pin 9

Brown to White to Pin 10

Yellow to Black to Pin 11

Red to Permanent 12v (from fuse box or same switched 12v as Orange)

Orange to Switched 12v (e.g. ashtray power)

If your car is a 2003, you should add a radio Shack 1:1 isolation transformer (Catalog # 273-1374) in-line between the green/brown and red/white speaker wires. 2004 and later don’t need this.

That’s it. All the other Parrot connectors/wires are unused and can be bundled away or cut off.

Once you have the Parrot installed, you can also download and install the new 4.10b software (if you don’t already have it). You need a Bluetooth laptop for this. If you phone is fully compatible with the parrot, this kit is great. I seldom take my phone out of my pocket when driving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked at the CK3100, and the LCD display. Do you know where you would install that on your dash? I'm not really into it. I'd rather have something hidden like the CK3000.

heatvent said:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice price! Wish i'd found that. I'd originally thought of putting the LCD between the shifter and the ignition, it fit nice and snug in there, and was somewhat hidden. I'm afraid that it will get pretty messed up down there though. If you could, and don't mind, can you maybe take pictures of the install for us, and/or make a similar diagram as the old one for the CK3100. Much appreciated. Thanks!

heatvent said:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cell phone car kit installer

Does anyone know of an installer who has had success installing a cell phone car kit in a 9-5/9-3 with the pre-wired kit?

Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having Problems Locating The 375 Cable

I am trying to install a Parrot 3200 in my 2005 9-3 Linear and have spent the past 2 hours reading posts on installs. I think I have read them all. I have tried to get to the end of every cable bundle behind the passenger side kick panel. I bought the Saab cable to attach from the Parrot to the 375 cable, but can't find the 375 to save my life. I do have an auxilliary in input installed by the dealer under the armrest. Is there a possibility that the 375 cable was used and routed to the aux-in? If so, any ideas on having both the aux-in and the Parrot installed? If not, any assistance on finding the cable would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
641 Posts
When in the year was your build date?

I have a 2005 that looking at the specs at the time, I had the package that came with the 375 connector. Was all set to install my H/F and went to find the cable so I could plug in, couldn't find it.

Basically I found out that sometime during the 2005 year they starting adding the cable with the right package. But if your car was built early in the year it may not have been included.

My car was the sales managers car so the purchase was mid year, but the build was early in 2005.

Ended up putting in my version of the cable up to the radio and wired a Saab mic up overhead.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts