SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I have been reading through the forums on TEL1, TEL2, prewired, OnStar, etc. and I must be a dummy because I am confused. My request is simple. I live in the U.S. I bought a 2005 9-3 Linear w/ premium package which includes "pre-wiring for a hands free phone." I have a Blackberry 7100g w/ bluetooth capability. I want to use my blackberry in my 9-3 through bluetooth (use the mic, speakers, mute, etc.). I would also like to use the call/hangup buttons on the steering wheel although I understand these might not work.

The Saab salespeople seem clueless about any of this.

What do I need to do to do this?

I sure I need to get a bluetooth kit - just any one - do any integrate well with the options above?

Any additional wiring / harnesses?

Where is the pre-wiring connector?

Can someone explain to me why the call/hangup buttons will not work? I would like to personally yell at Saab for putting buttons on my steering wheel for a desirable option that I paid for that will not work.

Any help for my remedial aptitude would be appreciated. Also, I really did spend a lot of time reading through the forum. If there is something I missed, please excuse me. I feel like I read everything but I can't seem to put it all together.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
OnStar and TEL2 are the only options (thus far) that will allow full use of the steering wheel controls and built-in phone. OnStar's phone service is overpriced and unreliable at best (even in metro Atlanta) and TEL2 is not an option in the U.S. So, unless you can figure out how to splice into those controls and the built-in mic I think you're out of luck.

I would assume that the pre-wired harness is behind the front console panel on the passenger side. You would need to connect an aftermarket bluetooth kit to that harness to get the functionality you desire. Do a search for bluetooth and TEL1. If you really have the factory harness you can ignore the parts that talk about connecting wires to the back of the EHU etc.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Johnc 22 is right. The pre-wired phone connection is for a TEL 1 install. This will give you the following features.

1. Use of car's inbuilt microphone
2. Audio over car's speakers
3. Muting of stereo
4. Display of "Telephone" in SID
5. Charging of phone
6. Use of volume controls on head unit and stereo.
7. Use of sharkfin aerial (not sure of US though)

It will not allow you to use any of the other buttons on the steering wheel. They are for Onstar & TEL2 (non US). We have looked at splicing into the controls (we have had some highly skilled people (some who do this stuff for a living) look at it and have conceded its for the "too hard basket"

The "prewired" connector is located in the console. This connector gathers power, mike, speakers, mute into one connector. Your dealer has a reciprocal connector in whuch he gathers the corresponding connections from the HF unit (inc Bluetooth). The aerial is a separate connector. I've got a photo somewhere. BRB

This one shows the prewired connector (375) and the various connections from the HF kit (Nokia CARK 126)

·
Registered
533 Posts
27.99$...good price!!!:cheesy: :cheesy:

seriously, nice pics Saba!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just wish there was a way for us pre-2005 US folks to be able to get the 375 harness retrofitted, or sold aftermarket for us to install. It sounds like it goes one step further than the Etadyne cable if it in fact hooks into the factory mic - anything that keeps the car interior cleaner is cool :cool: in my book.Anyone ever retrofit this or get the dealer to do it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is there a similar kit for Motorola (Nextel) phones? I'm not sure even where to begin looking for the units/cradles...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saba said:
Johnc 22 is right. The pre-wired phone connection is for a TEL 1 install. This will give you the following features.

1. Use of car's inbuilt microphone
2. Audio over car's speakers
3. Muting of stereo
4. Display of "Telephone" in SID
5. Charging of phone
6. Use of volume controls on head unit and stereo.
7. Use of sharkfin aerial (not sure of US though)

It will not allow you to use any of the other buttons on the steering wheel. They are for Onstar & TEL2 (non US). We have looked at splicing into the controls (we have had some highly skilled people (some who do this stuff for a living) look at it and have conceded its for the "too hard basket"

The "prewired" connector is located in the console. This connector gathers power, mike, speakers, mute into one connector. Your dealer has a reciprocal connector in whuch he gathers the corresponding connections from the HF unit (inc Bluetooth). The aerial is a separate connector. I've got a photo somewhere. BRB

This one shows the prewired connector (375) and the various connections from the HF kit (Nokia CARK 126)

Thanks for the picutres. I assume the Nokia kit did not come with a connector that fit the 375 connector in the Saab? Is that the Saab Factory harness adapter:

Part No. 12801584.

Will this connect to all aftermarket kits (i.e. mic, etc.). I couldn't see in the picture whether the mic coming out of the nokia HF unit was running up to the harness or to an aftermarket mic mounted elsewhere.

Thanks again for the info!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
O.K. I think I know what I want to do. Since the Blackberry 7100g cradle that I have seen looks like a clunky piece of crap, I definitely want to go bluetooth. Has anyone hooked up the CK3000 Parrot bluetooth HFK to a Saab 9-3 w/ prewiring? What is needed?

1) Saab prewired
2) CK 3000 kit
3) Saab wire harness pictured above? Autoleads?

How do I connect the CK 3000 to the Saab 375 18 pin connector?

:roll: What functions will work? All? Built-in mic? Antennae? Any help would be appreciated. :lol:

Here is a picture of the CK3000 wiring. Looks like the mute wire goes between radio & speakers. I don't really want to do this. I would rather tap into the prewired Saab stuff? How is this done? Is the Nokia kit all that works here?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Parrot Install

Here are the instructions I sent to another member for installing a Parrot CK3100 in a US model 9-3 using the Etadyne cable. The CK3000 wiring should be the same, although I've had both and highly recommend the CK3100 with the LCD display/control.

Regards - John

-------------------------

The CK3100 has two wires separate from the ISO connector wiring harness that are “line out” for the speaker. These two (green, brown) connect to the Etadyne cable and on to pins 9&10 on the EHU connector.
Here is the complete list of connections:

Parrot Etadyne EHU/Car

Green to Red to Pin 9

Brown to White to Pin 10

Yellow to Black to Pin 11

Red to Permanent 12v (from fuse box or same switched 12v as Orange)

Orange to Switched 12v (e.g. ashtray power)

If your car is a 2003, you should add a radio Shack 1:1 isolation transformer (Catalog # 273-1374) in-line between the green/brown and red/white speaker wires. 2004 and later don’t need this.

That’s it. All the other Parrot connectors/wires are unused and can be bundled away or cut off.

Once you have the Parrot installed, you can also download and install the new 4.10b software (if you don’t already have it). You need a Bluetooth laptop for this. If you phone is fully compatible with the parrot, this kit is great. I seldom take my phone out of my pocket when driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Last Minute Help!

I finally got my Parrot CK3000 kit. I am going to give it a go this weekend. However, I am not clear on a couple of things. Hopefully someone can help me out.
  1. The 375 is an 18-pin connector, right? Is there a diagram of what each of the pins are for (mic, mute, etc.) to aid in connecting to the Parrot.
  2. The mic that came with the Parrot has a standard headphone type connector. How do I connect this to the 375 connector??? Please don't tell me I have to use the mic that came with the parrot. Seems stupid since there is one installed in the car and the wires are right there in the 375 connector.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Confusing...

Someone help me out...

So this etydyne setup is full integration, or is it not? Can one dial with the dashboard keypad?

Does the display work - the monochrome display on the dash, that is. Can you go through the address book? Speeddial work?

Once again, I am AMAZED that we don't have a simple SIM module that is available for our 9-3. Just plug the card in and go. It's unacceptable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay, dumb question, but i'm not very technical...

What is Etydyne and what is EHU, and where do i get/find these things.

Trying to connect a CK3100.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not an expert, but I believe Etydyne is a connector that allows connecting the speakers and mute wires of a handsfree kit to the EHU. The EHU is, I don't know what, radio, heads up unit, combination of the two?

I am not using an Etydyne connector. I have a "pre-wired" Saab with a 375 connector in the console that bundles together the mic, mute, speaker and power connections. I think you use the Etydyne connector if you Saab is not pre-wired and you are connecting directly to the EHU from your hands free kit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the pre-wiring, so does that mean I don't need anything but the parrot kit? or do i have to go to radio shack or something and buy the other side (female/male) of the 375 connector?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of usefull stuff here, but it also gives me some more questions... Bought me the SonyEricsson HCB300 BT HF, after I saw this thread. And thought I had all the info nessecary to install it.
Have a 04 SS, and the car is prewired with TEL1.
Removed the side panels but could not find any 375 connector as shown on the pictures...

Do anyone know if there is different connector in Europe (Norway) or if the 04 model has another type of connector?

(Assuming that the illustrations are for a 05 US 9-3ss...?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very Useful

Thanks for the additional info. I think I'm getting close. I think the picture of the 375 above must be a TEL0. I have TEL1 installed on a NA car, and the TEL1 descritions seem to better match the colors on the 375 female adapter I picked up from Saab today (part no 12801583). Based on your "connection in car" chart, I would think the pins are as follows. Although I have an orange wire on pin 14. All pins not listed below are empty.

Pin Color Designation
1 Black Ground
4 Yellow Mute
7 Blue/White Line Output Ground
9 Green Mic Output Ground
10 Red/Blue Power key controlled
11 Red Power constant
14 Orange ????
16 Red/Gray Line Output Signal
18 Brown/Gray Mic High/Low Level Output

For the education of others. The parrot kit is made to splice into a radio with standard ISO connections. The parrot has male connections that plug directly into the back of the radio and the female connections that plug into the plugs that were there (power, speakers, etc.). My car is pre-wired, which brings many of those connections away from the radio and runs them down to the side of the console in the 375 connection. Additionally, there are connections for the pre-wired mic. Now to use the parrot kit, I need to splice it into the 375 connector. I have chosen to get the SAAB adapter that connects to the installed 375 connection and has empty wires running from it. It is actually easier to plug the parrot kit into the radio, except you have to remove your radio to do so. Why do that when the wires are right there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like 7 and 16 go to the EHU for the telephone display? What wires on the parrot need to connect to 7 and 16. Or are these to the speaker connections on the parrot? If so, does it matter which speaker I choose from the parrot (1,2,3,4 in the parrot diagram)?

Any idea what the orange pin 14 on the 375 connector is for?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts