SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I finally received the PPC on Monday. What can is say... it's niiiice :)

The PPC is crazy fast! 2nd gear loses traction @ 2500-3000 RPM if the gas pedal is floored, third gear pulls like crazy, 4th gear makes the spedo move up VERY fast. 5th gear pulls like 4th used to. Throttle response is also better.

I have some questions though, hopefully somebody will be able to clarify.

First of all, it seems that the PPC is keeping average boost levels higher. I think this is what helps it improve throttle response. I'll have to do more research on this - haven't played with tuning/de-tuning/comparing... but here is an example: going 70-75mph in 6th gear, cruising. Prior to the PPC, I tihnk the boost was @ 0 while cruising. With the PPC it's around 50% in the same situation. Maybe I'm making this up... but it seems that average boost levels are higher, even when cruising. Anybody? I know that increased average boost is still within operational parameters, but wouldn't it cause wear-and-tear anyways? And how would increased fuel economy account for this? (I thought more boost = more air = more fuel burnt)

I think I am losing boost in certain cases. It does not happen regularly, it only happened several times so far and only in 3rd gear. It never happens when I floor it between 2000-3000RPM. I floored it at around 3500RPM several times it did happen, already being in 3rd gear. When flooring it at those RPMs... Increased acceleration is not as evident because it does not come on as strong (comparing to the monster jump from 2k to 3k RPM), but you can def. feel it pulling. The boost would go away towards the red line, above or around 4500RPM. I am not sure what happens to the boost gauge at that time - it only happened 3 or 4 times and I was not quick enough to notice. It just feels like the car suddenly gets bogged down, and the acceleration is not nearly as brisk anymore. Anybody else had PPCs behaving funny at high RPMs? I was running AON 92 (not 93), so it could be the gas - but I doubt it. It's too sudden and inconsistent.

In general, I am absolutely loving the PPC. It's really, really fast. You step on the gas, and suddenly you're way over there somewhere, way down the road. Feels like it picks you up and puts you there. A friend of mine says that the front of the car visibly raises. I had to set the speed warning feature for 90mph... Not a lot of turbo noise for me, surprisingly. I was actually looking forward to that, but it only lets out a little hollow whistle in certain conditions... The PPC is so fast, you rarely get to enjoy stepping on the gas and going. There is never enough space to let her rip... I am starting to enjoy toll boths! :)

One more question for PPC owners. Did you notice any difference over time, as the program was "learning" about the vehicle, gas, driving conditions and such?

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update related to the loss of boost question:

The boost gauge still goes half way into red in 3rd gear, but the car does not seem to accelerate nearly as fast as it usually does. It feels like the engine is bogged down, as if flooded. This only happens in high RPMs... It does not happen if I step on the gas between 2k and 3k RPMs. The car jumps up around 2.5K RPMs and happily pulls till the red line in that case. Weird.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck,

Doesn't look like the same problem... My RPMs do not slip at all, they sometimes climb up slower then usual @ high RPMs in 3rd gear :confused: Thanks for the link though, very interesting thread. I saw it earlier, but more information has been added since then.

·
Registered
846 Posts
VectorDC03 said:
One more question for PPC owners. Did you notice any difference over time, as the program was "learning" about the vehicle, gas, driving conditions and such?

Thanks!

Only difference I have noticed over time is that I am wearing out my brake pads a heck of alot faster!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I recently did a Dyno test of my 93 SS Aero + ppc stage 1 + ITG filter. Check the increase of torque between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I have the maximum torque value at 445 Nw/m! I contacted with the BSR support, and I am expected for the answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Comparing graphs posted by BSR and the feel of the car - your torque curve looks much more believable! :)

That's a huge increase though, 450Nm? How can that be? That's 50+Nm over BSR numbers... Please let me know what they say, very curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I commented to them that I was worried in case the increase of torque could damage my gear box, and this is the response:

Hello

You must allow for variations between different dyno machines as well as
variations in environmental conditions when comparing dyno results. With
this is mind we can assure you that the results you have are entirely within
the expected range and not something to worry about unnecessarily.

Regards
Paul Whiter

The peculiar thing is that a partner of the club saab in Spain published his dyno test with the reprogramming of BSR for the same car and the curve of torque was much more progressive, and had the maximum in 400 N/m
:eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
captainAero said:
I commented to them that I was worried in case the increase of torque could damage my gear box, and this is the response:

Hello

You must allow for variations between different dyno machines as well as
variations in environmental conditions when comparing dyno results. With
this is mind we can assure you that the results you have are entirely within
the expected range and not something to worry about unnecessarily.

Regards
Paul Whiter

The peculiar thing is that a partner of the club saab in Spain published his dyno test with the reprogramming of BSR for the same car and the curve of torque was much more progressive, and had the maximum in 400 N/m
:eek:
of course there are variations.. but that is more than a 'blip' on the graph!

I've ridden Yamaha TZ250's with less bang than that! That can't be smooth to drive can it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, I was on holidays :D

Well, in the freeway it is a shot, if it had wings you would take off of the ground :evil: , but in the city is necessary to have well-taken care of with the first and second gear because it gives too much force to the wheels and the TCS is activated. This is a bit uncomfortable...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
captainAero said:
Sorry, I was on holidays :D

Well, in the freeway it is a shot, if it had wings you would take off of the ground :evil: , but in the city is necessary to have well-taken care of with the first and second gear because it gives too much force to the wheels and the TCS is activated. This is a bit uncomfortable...
Yeah, 4th gear on the freeway became a monster after the PPC ugrade. This morning I was easily staying up front of a somewhat hooked up older M3... It was good times. I'm sure first thing he did after getting to work was looking up specs for the 9-3 :cheesy:

Last month or so have been a little strange with the PPC though. 2nd and 4th gear still pull just as hard, but not the 3rd gear. It is really, really strange. 3rd gear used to be my clear favorite prior to the PPC. After the PPC, the 4th gear started feeling like the 3rd gear used to, 2nd gear was ripping tires off the pavement if floored, and the 3rd gear became a push-into-the-seat monstrosity...

But here is the weird part. Several weeks back the 3rd gear lost most of it's kick. How can that be? I tried de-tuning and re-tuning the car, same thing. In some cases the 3rd gear feels like it used to, but very rarely. You can still feel it pushing w/ horsepower after 5K RPM, but that awsome kick from 2.5K -> 4.5K is mostly gone. What gives? Anybody had that? Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts