SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PPC arrived and the car is now tuned.

Once I placed the order, I started getting skeptical due to having an automatic and the fact the best gas available in my area is 91

But after my 1st drive post-tune all concern vanished. It is certainly an improvement! The most noticable aspect to me was the low end torque and how turbo lag is virtually non-existant. This is what I hoped to see after the PPC upgrade as I dont usually push to top end very often. So far, its great!

Questions:

I think I read somewhere here that the engine needs to 're-learn' once the the PPC has been applied and suggested to take the car to redline in each of the gears to help aid the adjustment. Is this really needed? I felt an increase in performance right off the bat. But if the car is expected to continue to adjust to the new settings - what can I do to aid that?

Does this mean I could expect a slight gain after a couple weeks of use? Or is the performance increase I noticed immediately after the PPC tuning as good as it gets? (which is pretty good mind you!)

Finally, in the event I decided to go for Stage III after a while, what kind of cost should I expect now that I have Stage I installed? Is it Stage III price minus $800?

Thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you already have stage I software, i believe you would need to pay 200 bucks (im not sure of currency) to have stage III software put on/ downloaded. however it works. then, like you said, jsut the cost of the parts after that.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I went Stage I to Stage III and paid the $200 for the software upgrade. This was above and beyond the cost of the Stage3 hardware.

I'd seriously reconsider it if you only have 91 available... do a search for Stage -1

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mbodo said:
I went Stage I to Stage III and paid the $200 for the software upgrade. This was above and beyond the cost of the Stage3 hardware.

I'd seriously reconsider it if you only have 91 available... do a search for Stage -1
Yeah - I am not too crazy about the fact we only have 91 available. Anyone have any input on fuel additives - octane boosters and the like?

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you were going to raise the octane with boosters, you would have to put in soo much that it just wouldnt be worth it. ya figure, a full tank of 91, vs a pint (?) of octane booster. that IS pretty wierd that they only go up to 91. is there some logic behind that just how they do things out there? theres 93/94 out here, and the option of 110 "racing gas". hmmm... i havnt tryed that yet..
SEE WHAT YOU DID?!:cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
The most noticable aspect to me was the low end torque and how turbo lag is virtually non-existant.
Your car is an automatic Linear, correct? I have an automatic Arc and I have often wondered how much Saab is limiting the torque on the low end in first gear. I know there will be turbo lag from a dead stop (and especially on an automatic Arc) but it seems that there is something more than turbo lag holding the automatic back from a dead stop. The 0-60 differential between a manual and automatic shouldn't be close to 2 seconds, should it? It seems that no matter where the gas pedal is, you always get the same sort of limited performance up until a certain point.

I know that the Hirsch upgrade decreases the torque limitation in first gear so I would imagine BSR would do something similar. You said the most noticable aspect is the low end torqe, do you notice any difference prior to 15 MPH? Prior to the turbo kicking in?
Thanks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rja said:
Your car is an automatic Linear, correct? I have an automatic Arc and I have often wondered how much Saab is limiting the torque on the low end in first gear. I know there will be turbo lag from a dead stop (and especially on an automatic Arc) but it seems that there is something more than turbo lag holding the automatic back from a dead stop. The 0-60 differential between a manual and automatic shouldn't be close to 2 seconds, should it? It seems that no matter where the gas pedal is, you always get the same sort of limited performance up until a certain point.

I know that the Hirsch upgrade decreases the torque limitation in first gear so I would imagine BSR would do something similar. You said the most noticable aspect is the low end torqe, do you notice any difference prior to 15 MPH? Prior to the turbo kicking in?
Thanks.

I believe there has been improvement in throttle response accross the whole spectrum. The car seems proportionatley more responsive through all gears including 1st 0-15mph.

I couldnt really comment on the 0-60 time descrepancy between manuals and autos. But I can say that PPC definitely gets the automatic to 60mph a lot quicker than stock!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the PPC some day.....could you keep us all posted over the next year, on your experiences? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,260 Posts
rdj92807 said:
I'm thinking of getting the PPC some day.....could you keep us all posted over the next year, on your experiences? Thanks!
Well, I've had mine for almost a year and have had no bad experiences as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
20,260 Posts
johnc_22 said:
I've suspected that the 9-3SS auto, when in 'D', starts from a dead standstill in 2nd gear. I could be wrong about that but if true it's likely done as a fuel saver. Does anyone know about this? :confused:

If I'm sitting at an intersection where I need to take a right turn into a lane where there's traffic coming fast I always slap it into M as throttle response is much better in the sentronic mode for all gears and I can get the car moving much more quickly. The manual actually states something to the effect that throttle input will be more responsive in M.
I'm pretty sure it starts in first but gets into 2nd pretty quickly. One way to check is to accelerate for about a second from a standstill and move it into manual mode quickly. It should still be in first. If it was actually in second and tried to put it back into first in the transition to moving it to manual you could tell pretty easily from the downshift.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
My Vector is 5 speed manuel and the Stage 1 I installed it 5,000 miles ago has given me but good enjoyable driving. No worries, no extra mpg but the enjoyment of better acceleration. Accelerating from a red light doesn't interest me but when I am rolling or driving hard "the little extra" becomes Very noticeable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Energy AZ,

Have you noticed any difference in engine temperature on long runs with the PPC installed (say upwards of 1 hour). I understand it gets pretty hot where you live.

- We're planning a drive of some 4000km's this summer to the tropical north of Australia which will take us inland through some Australian outback towns and gem mining areas where temperatures can get up to 48C / 118F.

Reliability is of prime concern as you don't want to be broken down in the middle of nowhere trying to call a Saab dealer on your mobile as the nearest will be a good days drive away.

I'd be interested to know your comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
OZ-SAAB said:
Have you noticed any difference in engine temperature on long runs with the PPC installed (say upwards of 1 hour). I understand it gets pretty hot where you live.
Engine teperature is controlled by the thermostat , a simple mechanical device with no electronic control. This is probably a 195 degree F (or close) in the 93.

If the car runs hotter it means the thermostat isn't opening enough, you are low on coolant, the radiator is clogged with debris, the water pump seized, the electric fan isn't working, etc.

If it runs cooler, it usually means the thermostat is stuck open. Unless you are stickler for watching the gauges, the first sign of this is no cabin heat in the winter.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OZ-SAAB said:
Hi Energy AZ,

- We're planning a drive of some 4000km's this summer to the tropical north of Australia which will take us inland through some Australian outback towns and gem mining areas where temperatures can get up to 48C / 118F.

Reliability is of prime concern as you don't want to be broken down in the middle of nowhere trying to call a Saab dealer on your mobile as the nearest will be a good days drive away.

Thanks

I just took the car on a road trip to San Diego from Phoenix this past weekend. 5 hour drive each way, through the desert in mid day (115f). I estimate I averaged about 90mph the entire trip with occasional bursts into triple digits. The car's temperature gauge needle stayed sightly below the 1/2 way mark the entire trip. I also was a bit concerned with overheating in the middle of some god forsaken desert - but had no issues at all.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
OZ-SAAB said:
Hi Energy AZ,

Thanks
I've had my PPC for well over a year now, seen 2 Australian summers and several long distance trips in the midst of summer. Can't recall the tem gauage ever being on or over the half way mark.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
I just took the car on a road trip to San Diego from Phoenix this past weekend. 5 hour drive each way, through the desert in mid day (115f). I estimate I averaged about 90mph the entire trip with occasional bursts into triple digits. The car's temperature gauge needle stayed sightly below the 1/2 way mark the entire trip. I also was a bit concerned with overheating in the middle of some god forsaken desert - but had no issues at all.

Enjoy your trip!
Anyone noticed that the PPCed car seems to lose a fair bit of power when the heat builds up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Linear auto definitely starts in 2nd. Probably to reduce chances of wheelspin. The auto loaner I had for a week until my manual came in started in 2nd all the time, unless I used the manual shift mode. Otherwise if you floor it from a stop it will start, think a moment, downshift, then go.... it all adds up to a sloppy feeling launch.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
EarthDweller said:
Anyone noticed that the PPCed car seems to lose a fair bit of power when the heat builds up.
Any turbo car will feel faster when the temps are really cold and slower when the temps are really hot. I just don't push my car that hard in the summer because I know it's not going to be the rocket it wil be come January and I'd prefer to save the wear and tear until then.

The solution would be to find an aftermarket intercooler that's superior to the stock one. I'm not sure if one is offered but I think one was a while back and it was EXPENSIVE, like well over $1000US!

·
Registered
64 Posts
johnc_22 said:
Any turbo car will feel faster when the temps are really cold and slower when the temps are really hot. I just don't push my car that hard in the summer because I know it's not going to be the rocket it wil be come January and I'd prefer to save the wear and tear until then.

The solution would be to find an aftermarket intercooler that's superior to the stock one. I'm not sure if one is offered but I think one was a while back and it was EXPENSIVE, like well over $1000US!

yes, was told that our car's I/c may look big but is hardly efficient...;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the comment and replies Saba and Energy AZ,

I'll probably stick an order in for a PPC in the next few months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts