SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys....I have early 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear with regular manual seats, w/o heating.
Upgrading to : power seat with heating. Donor: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear.

After swapping the seats - no airbag errors, no other errors, all good.
However power seat is not moving.

I haven't tried to connect a "new" manual climate control yet, I know I need Tech2 for this part.
My first goal was to make sure no issues with airbags after seats swap, and looks like this part is Ok.

Do I need Tech2 tool to re-marry new seats in order to make power seats moving? To remove an old seat and add a new one?

Apologies from a big Saab fan who doesn't have Tech2 tool yet.

thanks

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
You need to add few wires between REC and seat(s).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mimmi and aerojon. Saw that article about extra wiring. For some reasons I was under impression that's required for power seats with memory.
Anyway, I will run extra wires, looks like straight forward. Seems I do not need Tech2 for this part, got it. Thanks again for guiding me, appreciate it.

Now, for adding climate control with heated seats. According to other threads I will need Tech2. But do you think I can get away with not having Tech2 for this part?
I mean, I would swap climate control, and the hope is that in worst case scenario I would get error B3057 (or something, Control Module not Added) but it should be functioning Ok, do you think so?

thanks

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
You need TECH2, because ACC communicates via I-bus.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm upgrading from MCC w/o heated seats to MCC with heated seats (not ACC)
I went ahead and replaced climate controls (before I saw your post Mimmi)....and no errors, everything worked except heated seats.
I guess my next step is to make sure I have +12V connected to the seat.
This picture is from a donor car, it has a red wire , I guess that's +12V.
IMG_0776.JPG

I guess mine doesn't have +12V (red fat wire) similar to the owner of: (1) DIY: swapping in power/memory seats | SaabCentral Forums

I "think" I might complete this project without having Tech2? I need to run +12V (I'm thinking about an elegant solution - adding a pin into connector with red wire, need to find a pin a specs), and one more wire described in the link. I think then just plugin power seats with heat, replace MCC w heat seats , and technically this should work....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Nope. MCC/ACC needs to add with TECH2, because MCC/ACC relays controls heating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right. Will be placing an order for Tech2.
If someone would suggest a reliable supplier of Tech2 or wants to sell own used one, I appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right, I'm on the last step of this process. Connecting 12V in REC

Why am I not getting 12V in pin4 in BODY3?
MAXI Fuse4 40A installed, and I'm getting 12V there on Fuse4.
The 446 Relay is installed, tested, clicking (before installation).
Fuses 15, 16, 25, even 27 are in.
Ignition is ON
But nothing is coming out of pin 4 in B3 in REC????? I should be getting 12V from there and feeding power seats.
Is it because of IBUS thing? Tech2 needs to enable something???? Am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
You need to add BCM andACC/MCC with TECH2. You can not activate relay prior that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mimmi, thank you, as always very helpful.

That makes sense. Yes, I need to activate 446 Relay, then 12V will naturally flow into the seat and will be managed via I-BUS (exactly how it suppose to work)

I've got my Tech2 clone literally 16 hours ago, kind of new to this . I know there are many threads about how to...

Mimmi or team members can you give me some hand on this:

I used Tech2 for the first time. Went through Add modules, did see only Add Driver Memory Seat option. I tried to do that but looks like I have to add BCM and ACC/MCC (this makes sense to me, thanks again Mimmi).

Q:
1. What's BCM? - Body Control Module? Just simply add BCM in Tech2?
2. I'm upgrading my MCC to MCC with heated seats. (not ACC). In Tech2 I saw ACC option only (I didn't see MCC) - so I have to proceed with adding ACC even I'm adding MCC?

thanks

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Body Control Module and yes.
Did you checked that you have +12V in seat pin 11?
Did you added wires between seats and MCC and REC?
Did you added ground wire to seat pin 12?

MCC do not need to add with TECH2.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Body Control Module and yes.
Did you checked that you have +12V in seat pin 11?
Did you added wires between seats and MCC and REC?
Did you added ground wire to seat pin 12?

MCC do not need to add with TECH2.
Did you checked that you have +12V in seat pin 11? - yes 12V there. Pin11 gets 12V from fuse 15 or 16 directly. No issues here. That's 12V to power heated pads.
Did you added wires between seats and MCC and REC? - yes - Three wires from MCC pins 2. 21, 9 into the seat pins 13, 14, 15. And two wires from REC into the seat - 12V for heated pad: Fuse15 into Seat pin11; and 12V for powered seat - REC B3 4 into Seat pin 37. This part doesn't work. I need to activate 446 Relay.
Did you added ground wire to seat pin 12? - It was there originally, I didn't touch that wire.

So..... MCC upgrade - no need to re-add via Tech2, if it's MCC?
I need to solve 12V from B3 pin 4 in REC. Sounds like need to add BCM via Tech2? The hope is that will activate I-BUS and 446Relay

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE.

MCC w heated seats is functioning as expected. Upgraded without Tech2.
Seat heating part is working. Seats are worm and controlled by MCC. That's a good thing.

Now, powerseats part. Driver power seat is not working.
Still trying to figure out how to get 12V from B3 pin4. I guess Relay 446 R1 doesn't get activated for one reason or another. Therefore no 12V on pin4, and no power to power seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Is it safe? Not doubting, I'll try it. I'm getting a XP laptop tonight, working on getting secure access from TIS2000 for my new Tech2. It is REC - very important module, adding it...will try it.

What bothers me and I'm scratching my head is:

- Powerseats with memory they go directly to Fuse 25 (well B3 pin 8 in REC) and get 12V from there. And I have 12V in B3 pin 8. Simple, right?

- Powerseats w/o memory they get connected to B3 pin 4 (which is MAXI Fuse 4) and it goes through a R1 446 Relay, and they get 12V from there.

Why would SAAB do this? I mean, plan B, sure I can connect my w/o memory seat into Fuse 25 and it will work. But...the whole thing is I need to figure out how to activate Relay 446 R1 per WIS..
I thought I was done and it's an easy part.
But looks like "something" needs to be activated/added to activate R1 Relay.

I'll try to add REC tonight after I get secure access.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
When you add REC follow what TECH2 suggest and/or what you actually have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE

I connected power seat to B3 pin 8 (or fuse 25) and everything is working - power seat and heating. This confirms that everything is wired and there is no shortage. This is a good news.

The fact that seat is getting 12V from incorrect source bothers me.

I still need to figure out why no 12V on B3 pin 4.

I'm still fighting with my Tech2 tool. Building a VM with XP on it to run TIS2000 and to get security access. Very painful process.

Next step: to try to add REC (+maybe BCM, and memory seat?)
If someone has a better idea how to get security access - please share, thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE....

Mimmi you are a genius!

It's 11PM, I'll summarize and write more in the morning.
Thank you Mimmi VERY MUCH!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts