SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Power Windows Follow Up Questions. Mainly a Fuse Question

So i had asked onhere for help with a power windows issue a while back. So i have a 92 Saab 900S 2 door. when i got it with 150K on the odo, both windows worked. 2 weeks after taking ownership i pass window stopped working, i said F it, didnt worry. So when i finally got around to trying to fixing it with the DIY info i found on this site, i took the switch pack apart to clean out contacts, neither window would work, nor the SR, so after severl repeated times taking it apart and replacing it, i got the roof working, but still neither window. Now, i then got a replacement switch pack online for 40 beans, "known good" it was sold as. this switch yeilded the same result, no side windows working, just roof. both motors should be fine as they had just been working not long before i f'd with switch pack. is it possible its the fuses? does each window have a sep fuse? i looked at the fuse pack in the front engine compartment, buti cannto locate a fuse related to power windows. anyone have info here on the fuses to check to see if this is the culprit. with 100 degree heat lately, no windows and no AC is a *****!!

Thanks in advance.

SWM

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The motors could be goosed!

have you tested for current at the motors? you can use a bulb even if you dont have a muilti meter.

Do you hear clicking when you hit the switches?

The fuses are in the fuse box, i can rememer which number but i promise there there.

take your door cards off and have a good poke around with your electric motor and window mechs.

Switches are very reliable and last a long time, you can just make contact on the block to eliminate the switch, if it works then your switch is dead, replace it, if you dont have power then go futher down the power line and see what you find.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would not agree on fuses being under the rear seat, at least when speaking on my own experience with 900 `89, there is one fuse, I guess, no.11 in the fuse box ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Power window fuse location

The fuse for the power window is, as cdaly says, under the left hand rear seat in the auxilary fuse box. Its number 7. Looking at it from the front it is the back row first or second from the right. How do I know this? I changed it yesterday after putting the drivers window motor and mechanism all back together.

The one fuse does both front windows, the sunroof has a separate fuse. If both windows suddenly failed then it will probably be the fuse. My windows had never worked since I had the car, I've had it all apart, cleaned it up as per Twinsaabs and my drivers side now works ok. Very loud though.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
OK... if you move switch and hear a click, that is the relay. This means there is power. What typically happens is the grease dries up, and the regulators gum up, plus the motors gum up. Can you move the window downwards with the switch depressed and you applying downward force on the window?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 900, ill check to see if this is the case. Also, i check ALL the fuses and the only one dead, was th eone mentioned by Alexis #7 under the rear seat. i replaced it and still no windo action. Then a guy here at work asked me to lok to see if it blew again right after, and i never checked, so im going to look to see if the fuse blew again right after it was replaces, if so i guess there could be a short? ill get more info to report back here. anyone with any other thoughts?

900t said:
OK... if you move switch and hear a click, that is the relay. This means there is power. What typically happens is the grease dries up, and the regulators gum up, plus the motors gum up. Can you move the window downwards with the switch depressed and you applying downward force on the window?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Info update

Ok, so it turns out my work buddy was right, the fuse just pops as soon as power is given to the car. I looked at the fuse i replace earlier, and it was poped, then i changed it out with a new fresh one, and as soon as the key was turned to accessory position, POP, there goes number 7 fuse under seat.

Can anyone give me an idea how to even BEGIN troubleshooting this?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Disconneted the window motor and see if the fuse blows?

Disconnect the window switch and see of the fuse blows?

Check the wires insulation along its length, all of it or as much as you can.

take the window motor out and make sure the work in both directions with a battery, car battery that is.

I would use a bigger fuse if all this yields no results, 5 amps then 7.5 then maybe 10, but no higher than this.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
but no higher than this.
I did say no higher:cheesy:

If the motor is jammed then it will have higher resistance and will pop a fuse easy a 10 amp fuse will also blow without damaging any wires, 10 amps is not a lot of energy at 12 volts and if there is a short then even a 10 amp fuse will blow in a millisecond.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the fuse that is in there now and has been is a 30 amp, green one. ill check all of the items mentioned. Its odd, the driver window was never an issue until the day i took out the switch to clean it in hopes of the passenger window coming back to life. I wonder if there is an issue with the switch, something i did when re assembling it. i also got a new fuse and this yeilded the same result, blown fuse. hmmm, i wonder if i put a good fuse in, THEN try the newer switch that has never been taken apart? i think when i initially replaced the fuse, i put old switch back in THEN tried new after fuse had unknowingly blown. hmmm, ill try fresh fuse tomorrow, with new switch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so as i typed that above i realised maybe when i took the old switch apart i did something on re assembly causing the fuse to blow, so i needed to replace switch with the NEWER one i had which had never been apart, and THEN replace the fuse and try it. sure enough, i got the driver window working again. now, the pass window still doesnt work, but now i can focus on the motor there, i hear it clicking in the door, so i think some disassmbly is in order.

thanks to all who particpated in helping, any thoughts for the motor now? can i test it BEFORE actually pulling it to see if i can get it functioning without completly removing the motor?

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
When fuses blow there's often a dead short to earth, or the window motors are drawing too much current due to depleated magnet stregnth amongst other things.
at a guess (assuming both windows stopped at the same time) dead short.
Put a multimeter on and measure what the peak draw is before the fuse blows.
Alternatively, run the motors independant of the rest of the system and measure the current draw on each one seperately. If you can eliminate the the motors you've won the first battle and can go looking for shorts etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
power windows

Hi there,

There are usually two reasons for power window failure.

One - teeth on the triangle of the mechanism which raises and lowers the window get "eaten up". This usually happens at the end of their movement span and the deformation of the tooth unables the motor to move the mechanism. If this is the case you will have electricity in the power window cable and most probably you will be able to even hear a very slight click when the motor tries to move.

Two - problem with cables, shorts, etc. The power window (and all other cables i.e. for the power mirrors) harness has a tendency to start rotting in the door hinge area. The cables lose their insulation and "voila" you have a short circuit. The same thing can happen in the area around the switches i.e. underneath the console which houses the power window switches. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think that the power window cable earth is connected somewhere close to the handbrake lever.

Taking the door padding takes 5 minutes. If I were you I'd start from there.

Good luck.

Best regards

Dusan

P.S. I had a similar problem with an intermittent power window failure. Finally detected both problems mentioned above. The windows works now but I do not raise it all the way. I am looking for a new mechanism. While going through this whole "search" I also followed the suggestions from, I think, jeff's
site about power window motors and cleaned them and put new grease into them. Just a bit of advice. Do not use grease which is too thick. You migh have problems in the winter. Ask me how I know. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts