SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SAAB 9.3 linear convertible 2004 that I own has a problem with the windows on both doors (front only) bouncing back down by around 1/3 when they are automaticly raised. Sometimes the windows close, other times they bounce down. If they bounce down, the only way to close is to raise and stopa few mm from the top and then raise again the last few mm's.

Does anyone know how to fix this. It started after the cars last 40 000 km service.

Also, does anyone know if the battery needs topping up. I just had the RACQ out to replace the battery that had three months left on it's 2 year warrenty and they filled the battery with 1 litre of water and advised SAAB's need water added every 6 months. Sounds to me like the battery is about to die and RACQ are trying to get it to die out of warrenty. Please advise...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The actual cause of the power window issue ended up being a near flat battery. I had the battery replaced and immediately the problem went away after I reset the pinch setting. It appears that the electronics can play up when the battery is about to go.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Arthurs said:
It appears that the electronics can play up when the battery is about to go.
This is especially true for modern vehicles.

According to a mechanic I know he's had customers with the dash lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights (ABS, airbag, check engine, etc.) thinking they need $500 in repairs when all they need is a new battery.

Also, does anyone know if the battery needs topping up. I just had the RACQ out to replace the battery that had three months left on it's 2 year warrenty and they filled the battery with 1 litre of water and advised SAAB's need water added every 6 months. Sounds to me like the battery is about to die and RACQ are trying to get it to die out of warrenty. Please advise...
The OE Saab battery we get in the USA cannot be topped up. Replacement batteries can be topped up.

That being said, only batteries operated in hot climates generally need topping up more than about, say, every 1 to 2 years. I don't consider where I live in Virginia to be a particularly hot climate, and my experience is that a battery has obvious water loss after 1.5 to 2 years in service.

There is another issue to consider, however, and that is that the Saab's voltage regulator is set for a maintenance free lead-calcium battery. If your battery is a "low maintenance" lead-calcium/lead-antimony battery, it will need to be topped up more often because of the higher charging voltage.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Arthurs said:
The actual cause of the power window issue ended up being a near flat battery. I had the battery replaced and immediately the problem went away after I reset the pinch setting. It appears that the electronics can play up when the battery is about to go.
It's not your new battery that fixed this problem. It is your antipinch calibration that got messed up. So when you disconnent the battery OR take out the fuse for the windows, the antipinch/calibration will completely reset to being normal again :cool: Had this problem 2 days ago! It always somehow comes back.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Actually if the battery is disconnected, the Anti-Pinch MUST be re-set. It does not re-calibrate itself. See page 101 of the Manual.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Vector-SS said:
It's not your new battery that fixed this problem. It is your antipinch calibration that got messed up. So when you disconnent the battery OR take out the fuse for the windows, the antipinch/calibration will completely reset to being normal again :cool: Had this problem 2 days ago! It always somehow comes back.
Weak battery power would mean it is more likely that the anti pinch resistance / rolling speed occurred and down they went. A cause / effect thing.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Wouldn't that affect all 4 if it was a case of a dying battery? I ALWAYS have the same problem with my front driver window only.

JonV, that's what I meant ;)

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Wouldn't that affect all 4 if it was a case of a dying battery? I ALWAYS have the same problem with my front driver window only.

JonV, that's what I meant ;)
If the battery dies or is disconnected, according to the book all four would have to be reset. I sometimes have a problem with my front passenger side window when it rains hard or there is an Ice/Snow condition. I attribute it to a bit more resistence triggering the antipinch.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's in your manual. I don't see the windows called out specifically so I assume they are covered by the door modules.

Fuse panel in end of fascia
No. Amp. Function
1 15 Steering wheel lock
2 5 Steering column unit; ignition switch
3 10 Hands-free; cabin CD changer; SID
4 10 Main instrument unit; manual climate control;
automatic climate control (ACC)
5 7.5 Control module in front doors; Park Brake Shift Lock
(automatic transmission)
6 7.5 Brake light switch
7 20 Fascia fuse panel; fuel filler door
8 30 Control module in passenger front door
9 10 Fascia fuse panel
10 30 Trailer socket; electrical socket in storage compartment
between seats
11 15 Data link connection (diagnostics)
12 15 Interior lighting incl. glove compartment
13 30 Accessories
14 20 Radio, sound system I; control panel,
Infotainment System
15 30 Control module in driver’s door
16 - -
17 - -
18 7.5 Manual climate control; fan
19 - -
20 7.5 Headlight levelling switch
21 7.5 Hands-free; brake light switch; manual climate
control; clutch pedal switch
22 30 Cigarette lighter
23 40 Cabin fan
24 7.5 Airbag control module
25 - -
26 5 Yaw sensor (cars with ESP)
27 - -

Trunk fuse panel, left-hand side
No. Amp. Function
1–5 MAXI -
6 30 Control module in left rear door
7 30 Control module in right rear door
8 20 Trailer
9 - -
10 30 Left-hand brake light; rear right turn signal; right tail
light; right reversing light; high-mounted brake light;
trailer lights
11 - -
12 - -
13 - -
14 - -
15 15 Seat heating, left seat
16 15 Seat heating, right seat
17 7.5 Autodimming rearview mirror; rain sensor; tire
pressure monitoring
18 15 Sunroof
19 7.5 Telematics (OnStar)
20 7.5 DVD player (navigation system)
21 7.5 Saab Parking Assistance (SPA); control module in
rear doors
22 30 Amplifier, sound system III
23 - -
24 10 Movement sensor; CD changer in trunk (accessory)
25 30 Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory
26 30 Right-hand stop light; rear left turn signal; left tail
light; rear fog light; left reversing light; license plate
lighting; trunk lighting; trailer lights
27 - -
28 - -
29 - -

Fuse panel in engine bay

No. Amp. Function
1 - -
2 10 Engine control module; automatic transmission control
module
3 20 Horn
4 10 Engine control module; battery disconnect switch
5 - -
6 10 Selector lever, automatic transmission
7 - -
8 - -
9 - -
10 - -
11 - -
12 - -
13 - -
14 - -
15 30 Washer fluid pump, headlights
16 30 Front right parking light; front right turn signal; left and
right side turn signal; right high beam; left low beam;
front left fog light
17 30 Windshield wiper motor, low speed
18 30 Windshield wiper motor, high speed
19 20 Parking heater; auxiliary heater
20 10 Headlight levelling
21 - -
22 30 Washer fluid pump, windshield
23 - -
24 20 Extra lights
25 20 Amplifier, sound system II
26 30 Front left turn signal; front left parking light; front right
fog light; right low beam; left high beam
–37
MAXI

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Fuse 15 is the Drivers Door Control Module. Other than the fact it maintains power to the Motor/relays it does not set the calibration. That must be done manually.

P.101 says

After a power break, the electric windows
must be calibrated for the pinch protection
to work. Fully open and close the windows
at least twice. (Hold switch up the second time until you hear chime) You will hear a chime after successful calibration.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My question is if I pull fuse 15 and wait 30 seconds then do the calibration, will that do the trick. Only my driver side window isnt working, it goes down express not up.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Express up/down, although required for Pinch Protection is a seperate function, Just guessing but I think you may have a switch problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts