SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,

I am brand new to posting, though I've lurked for a while now.

Before we begin, I have a '93 Turbo Hatch (w/ sunroof) for what it's worth.

The problem:

My power window fuse keeps getting popped when I start the car. The windows are down. Can't figure out how to reassemble the switch box without a short.

I've looked around a lot and haven't seen any pictures of the switch box fully assembled...so maybe I'm doing it wrong?

The big problem seems to be that no matter which of the four rockers I use for the windows, they all sit in the outside slots the same and they touch both points. You can see that the same rockers sit in the middle two slots without touching the points.

(picture 1)

I did try bending the little rockers so they wouldn't touch (suggested in a thread) and it still didn't get the windows working. Bent them back and fuse popped immediately.

Fuse doesn't pop when I start the car w/o the switch box in or if the rockers are bent as mentioned before.

Really confused at how I got here, since before I took them out everything was working, I just had to hit the button multiple times to get the window up.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I hope I didn't miss a thread when searching that explains this perfectly.

(picture 2 is of how I have the switch box assembled.)
(picture 3 is detail of my rockers. sunroof rockers on bottom.)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I would suggest disconnecting each window motor, as there's a short somewhere, could be where a wire goes through the door from the pillar, (usually place)and it's broke, and shorting against the bodywork, or against another wire in the harness/location, or even the motor is shorting out. Diud you have any issues with any of your motors not working well before this problem arose.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks friends...I finally found a configuration that seems to work and not short anything out. I think I tried it before but the fuse was blown so it didn't work the first time around.

My solution:

Use the rockers from the sunroof in the outside slots for the windows.

Basically, these rockers have a couple differences, one of which being the slots on the sides are at a higher spot, just barely, than the others. This means that they don't touch the contacts like the others do. I assume you could bend the originals into a deeper V so they don't touch as well, but when I tried that it still didn't work. It's real tricky to get them to stay in there the way I wanted it seems.

This seems to be working though, got the windows up before the rain today, so that's a win in my book. I'll probably snag a replacement from a NG900 at the yard next time I'm there just to have a spare with some extra rockers and such.

I saw this tutorial/page and while it had some good info, it seems like it didn't have the level of detail I was looking for, specifically about the little rockers. Thanks for linking it up though Peva!

I would suggest disconnecting each window motor, as there's a short somewhere, could be where a wire goes through the door from the pillar, (usually place)and it's broke, and shorting against the bodywork, or against another wire in the harness/location, or even the motor is shorting out. Diud you have any issues with any of your motors not working well before this problem arose.?
I am pretty sure the short was caused by the rockers in the switch block laying flat on those two outside contacts. Unless someone says that is the way it should be? Either way, I didn't have any other issues with the motors before, always seemed to be the switch itself, so thankfully I don't believe I'll need to dig in the guts just yet. Thanks for the response though 16saabs, and for the info. I'm sure I'll need it sometime in the future. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.