SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, this is my first post here, hoping you guys can point me in the right direction

I have an '88 900 turbo 16v and since I got it last year the drivers side window hasn't worked. I put in a brand new window motor so I know that isn't the problem. The passenger window did work, but swapping the switches didn't help any with the driver's side. At the end of last year the car was sitting for a while due to transmission trouble and now that I've got it running again neither window works. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My drivers side window refused to work,and I knew everything was working as it should.So I took the panel off preparing to take a look again.After loosening everything,I tried it for the heck of it,and it worked fine.The only thing I could decide is that it must have been stuck.So I tightened it back up and it has worked every since. A simplistic approach,but worth trying!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The entire driver's side window has been taken out once when I put the new motor in, so unfortunately that's not it, though I might try that with the passenger window it never had much power so a little resistance might be enough to keep it from working at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had this appear a few times in the past.

1. Identify the window switches...in the center aft of the key area and clean them with isopropyl alcohol. These get gummed up apparently.

2. WD-40 the support arms that raise the windows (liberally) and clean all the contacts that are inside the door. (any connections/plugs etc...fine sandpaper or similar)

The window motors are useless unless the mechanical components are properly lubricated and functioning properly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Probably silly question Is the battery fully chaged? I did exactley the same after car standing for a while replaced quadrant and motor, nothing. Battery was flat Duh!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Probably silly question Is the battery fully chaged? I did exactley the same after car standing for a while replaced quadrant and motor, nothing. Battery was flat Duh!
Yes, for some reason the windows often do not work unless there is plenty of voltage.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
2. WD-40 the support arms that raise the windows (liberally) and clean all the contacts that are inside the door. (any connections/plugs etc...fine sandpaper or similar)
WD40 will help to free them up, but it won't do anything to keep them free. Once they're moving freely, get plenty of aerosol grease around every pivot and slide.

It's a lot easier to do with the mechanism out of the door.

A year or two back, at a workshop day over here, a couple of people more familiar with c900s took my car out for a spin. They all commented that they'd never seen a driver's window work so quickly. At the time, the passenger window was dog slow. Shortly afterwards, it refused to go up without a little help. I took it out, and it would barely move manually. I cleaned it up, plenty of penetrating oil and spray grease - and had to tie-wrap it closed to get it back in the door, since the spring action was so violent... A year or more later, it's _quicker_ than that driver's door...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts