SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering reservoir on my recently acquired '87 T16 convertible was attached with cable ties to the wiring. Now I am sure this is not correct (resident genius!), however, I cannot find any pictures that would show me either whether it has the correct reservoir (black) and/or where it should go. I assume from current research that it should be outside the main engine bay next to the air reservoir, but cannot find any suitable mountings (a drop on hook plus a bolt). Am I missing something, should there be a bracket? Currently too many variables.

Help or photos appreciated.

Good news is that it may have answered the power hood problem - fuses blown and filled with power steering fluid!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Here in the US, remote power-steering reservoirs are attached to the inner fender (wing), facing the outer fender/wing. They attach with two 10mm bolts, which screw into threaded holes in the inner wing.

If this setup is what you have, you'll of course have to disconnect the hoses from the reservoir to pass them through the hole in the inner wing (this hole is flanked by the two small threaded ones for the bolts).

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ProfZ. Yes, I do have 2 x 10mm bolts that have a indent on the inner wing between them and this was where I assumed the reservoir should be. However, the fittings on the black reservoir I have are a slotted hook on the rear that looks as if it should hook over something and then a tab with a bolt hole in it that comes off the top of the reservoir. So, is there a bracket that attaches to the bolts on the inner wing for these attachments, or do I have the wrong reservoir? (There seem to be two, the black one I have and a transparent one.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha! This is the transparent one then and the fixings look correct. Now to source one. I see that this was from the US based saabsite.com. None of the UK online guys seem to sell them, but sure I will find one somewhere.

Thanks, this will help clean up my engine bay somewhat!

·
Registered
818 Posts
My car doesnt even have a resavour, you just poor the fluid straight into the black thing with the belt attached.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Lloyd said:
My car doesnt even have a resavour, you just poor the fluid straight into the black thing with the belt attached.
Until towards the end of their production run, cars with an 8v engine were fitted with a power steering pump with an integral reservoir.

All 16v cars have different pumps and a remote reservoir.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts