SaabCentral Forums banner

Power steering pump ?

662 Views 22 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Germaniac
I have a Saab 9-3 2.0t linear Ok so my car one day randomly after warming it up I pull off and my car dies but restarts right away. Mind you no check engine lights or nothing. Ok then I baby my car home it cuts off again like 15 minutes later then started n then got home. Then a few days later I put gas in it and then it started doing the same thing and now every time I turn left it loses power and cuts off. I was told my power steering pump isn’t circulating and one of my battery posts are warmer then the other. There is no codes no warning lights any ideas
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
11,883 Posts
You need to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

Need more information about power steering pump. If power steering fluid looks normal and is normal level, and steering isn't really heavy, then it would appear to be working.

· Registered
350 Posts
Ive seen a similar problem like this. Make sure your battery is secured with the holddown. The battery might be shifting around and the batt connection is coming loose.
in the short term you need: good healthy battery, secured, clean tight batt connections.
The batt terminal wires will corrode and develop resistance so that may need to be addressed as well.
I replaced the positive terminal side of my batt circuit based on the findings of voltage drop testing. There was even a technical service bulletin on this problem.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

Need more information about power steering pump. If power steering fluid looks normal and is normal level, and steering isn't really heavy, then it would appear to be working.
Well the positive cable has some corrosion where some parts are barely showing the actual wire. I replaced my battery in the middle of august. But steering while driving feels normal until I turned left then it locked up and while car powered down. It started up again and I drove home luckily. Also since it started raining my passenger floor board gets wet only when it rains though

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the positive cable has some corrosion where some parts are barely showing the actual wire. I replaced my battery in the middle of august. But steering while driving feels normal until I turned left then it locked up and while car powered down. It started up again and I drove home luckily. Also since it started raining my passenger floor board gets wet only when it rains though
Also my ex had looked my in my power steering reservoir I believe it’s called and had me turn my wheel one way then the other and he says it’s not circulating

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive seen a similar problem like this. Make sure your battery is secured with the holddown. The battery might be shifting around and the batt connection is coming loose.
in the short term you need: good healthy battery, secured, clean tight batt connections.
The batt terminal wires will corrode and develop resistance so that may need to be addressed as well.
I replaced the positive terminal side of my batt circuit based on the findings of voltage drop testing. There was even a technical service bulletin on this problem.
I will double check though on the connections thank you will keep you posted

· Registered
350 Posts
Is the battery secure? It needs to be bolted down so it doesn’t flop around.
Your steering problem is most likely related to the car stalling and you losing power assisted steering. It’s possible your ps pump is leaking or not creating pressure, but it sounds like your main concern is the car stalling. Ive never seen a ps pump cause a driveability problem. Check the fluid level for now.
The water on your passenger side is most likely the cabin air filter inlet under the hood on the firewall. You can remove the plastic CAF housing and reinstall with silicone caulk to seal the water out.
The water will drip into your cabin blower motor fan and kill it if you let the prob go on.

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
592 Posts
If it's the PS pump failing completely you would have to work the steering wheel like Hercules especially at lower speeds, and it wouldn't be restricted to left turns only. Maybe it's the pressure switch on the pump which conks out during left turns (explanation from the WIS: To inform the ECU when great servo assistance is requested. If necessary, engine idling speed is increased), probably due to a short wire.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Engine cutting out on turns sounds to me like an electrical problem where the cornering force and/or things moving around are breaking a connection and therefore engine stalls.

If the PS fluid level is normal and fluid looks normal, and steering is possible, then I wouldn't worry about the PS system.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I charged my battery to be safe and had it tested at oreilys auto parts and everything is good there. I did notice the tray the battery sits in as well as positive battery connection cable is corroded and needs replaced im having a hard time finding the right one my sons dad is trying to help and has my car so I can’t see the exact battery cable size length etc either any ideas

· Registered
592 Posts
Ok so I charged my battery to be safe and had it tested at oreilys auto parts and everything is good there. I did notice the tray the battery sits in as well as positive battery connection cable is corroded and needs replaced im having a hard time finding the right one my sons dad is trying to help and has my car so I can’t see the exact battery cable size length etc either any ideas
Lets hope it's only the clamp being corroded - if it's the cable being shot on a length there are two options:
  • replacing the harness (12797748 for halogen, 12797746 if car is equipped with Xenon; $$$)
  • getting the harness repaired by a qualified car electrician.

And while the battery is out you might want to restore or replace the tray (12789449 or 12761146).

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets hope it's only the clamp being corroded - if it's the cable being shot on a length there are two options:
  • replacing the harness (12797748 for halogen, 12797746 if car is equipped with Xenon; $$$)
  • getting the harness repaired by a qualified car electrician.

And while the battery is out you might want to restore or replace the tray (12789449 or 12761146).
Well I was thinking going to pick and pull to see if I can get the positive cable however was wondering if a positive cable from a 9-5 2004 Saab is the same as mine 05 Saab 9-3

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engine cutting out on turns sounds to me like an electrical problem where the cornering force and/or things moving around are breaking a connection and therefore engine stalls.

If the PS fluid level is normal and fluid looks normal, and steering is possible, then I wouldn't worry about the PS system.
Turning hasn’t been an issue other than the car cutting off.

· Registered
11,883 Posts
Well I was thinking going to pick and pull to see if I can get the positive cable however was wondering if a positive cable from a 9-5 2004 Saab is the same as mine 05 Saab 9-3
No, different car, totally different engine. It looks like what you need is a battery cable from an NG9-3 with a 2.0. That would be 2003-2011, except 2003 convertible.

· Registered
592 Posts
Thank you for that info, makes sense though I was hoping. I can’t seem to find the positive cable anywhere local and not sure where to buy it online that’s not to expensive
Problem: if you get a used cable you have to keep in mind that it is also being more than a decade old, and you don't know whether it was being pulled out the correct way or rather being yanked out without much care. That's why I had suggested to see a qualified car mechanic who looks after it and can tell you if it is possible to repair the old one or if it needs replacement.
ebay has a NOS harness if your car is equipped with halogen lamps: Saab CABLE HARNESS 12797748 Saab 12797748 | eBay

Another alternative might be a workshop which is specialized on manufacturing out-of-stock harnesses.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem: if you get a used cable you have to keep in mind that it is also being more than a decade old, and you don't know whether it was being pulled out the correct way or rather being yanked out without much care. That's why I had suggested to see a qualified car mechanic who looks after it and can tell you if it is possible to repair the old one or if it needs replacement.
ebay has a NOS harness if your car is equipped with halogen lamps: Saab CABLE HARNESS 12797748 Saab 12797748 | eBay

Another alternative might be a workshop which is specialized on manufacturing out-of-stock harnesses.
I feel stupid for this but I’m not sure mine are halogen lights but I kno the bulb is h7 so I’m guessing not

1 - 20 of 23 Posts