SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I've decided it's time for a new thread. On my last post my idler pulley came off and PS fluid was all over the place. I got everything fixed up and the PS pump was working fine... I assumed that it only leaked as a result of high torque when the serp belt came off.

Today I drove about a half hour and then as I got to work, I heard the standard "you need more power steering fluid" whine as I was looking for a parking spot. I stopped and looked in the reservoir... fluid didn't even touch the dip stick. :eek: I whipped out my CHF11s (handy since the first problem) and topped it up. Then I started the car and opened the hood. I could acctually SEE power steering fluid squirting out from where the pulley enters the pump!!! :eek::eek:

I parked (took a few minutes) and the reservoir was empied below the dip stick AGAIN :evil::evil::evil:

Is it possible to re-do the seals in the pump? If I need one, is the remaned one ($175) on thesaabsite.com the one I want, or is there a better price somewhere else?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered the part on eBay and spoke w/ my indie mech. He said he would charge 1 hour to put it in. How difficult is it to do myself? The high pressure stuff makes me think it might be difficult, but if it is pretty straightforward I'll try and save myself $70.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a bugger! I drove home today with my spare bottle fo CHF11S handy and when I got home.. NO LEAK!? :confused:

It's too late though, because I already got the pump on eBay and they're usually not to keen on un-ordering. Can you think of any reason this is happening?

Actually, one thing I -just- though of was the CHF11S itself... that's a synth oil, right? Could it be the old fluid was mineral oil? I've heard some things about switching to synth engin oil and sudden leaks that stop after a little while... Could that be the cause, or is it very likely it was just a fluke and the seal is still broken? This is really weirding me out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hurm well I went to the Saab dealership and asked for "Power steering fluid for a 1995 900s" and they gave me CHF11S, and I didn't think about it at all until last post. I guess that teaches me to generalize, but I was in a hurry - I had 30 minutes to pick up the parts from a dealership 20 minutes away. When I get the new pump, should I put in CHF11S or GM Power Steering Fluid?

Anyway, I -think- my hoses are OK... When I get the pump fixed I'll ask the mech to take a good look at all the lines... All I've ever seen leaking was the pulley axle... so I'll replace the pump and hopefully I'll be all set...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.