SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if the power steering pump could be used to pump gearbox oil? Would be a pretty effective way to move oil around a gearbox oil cooling circuit and would save money on the installation costs as well.

Obviously you'd have to get rid of your power steering but if you never had it in the first place (i.e. 99T16) then you'd be loosing nothing. Or likewise if you've got a manual steering rack in your 900 then the power steering pump could be used for something else?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Apparently a fuel pump will work. I'd rather an electric pump that could be switched on and off, rather than adding another belt.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
philb said:
Apparently a fuel pump will work. I'd rather an electric pump that could be switched on and off, rather than adding another belt.
On a 99 there wouldn't be the belt in the first place, so would mean that much, but a termostat would be essential, otherwise temperature would never increase to the wanted amount.
Electrical would be easier setting up too, probably...
Daniel.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
hows about an air con pump if you wanted to retain your existing power steering?

it has a built in clutch, activated via a simple switch that could be triggered from a thermostat..... usually not pumping, oil gets warm, thermostat switches the pump on, the clutch engages and the pump starts pumping

it wouldnt involve fabricating any new bracketry etc, could be fitted to 99's (i think)

wouldnt be too difficult i dont think

G

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
If i do the MR conversion i'm thinking of using the PS pump to fire the clutch so i could have a lever on the gear stick:D , using an air con pump could work even better as the lever could just engage the clutch on the pump!

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
philb said:
hmm, not so sure about that... would require a pretty big reservior to drop the bottom of the pump into and the pump isn't built to handle liquid of that consistancy or temperature. Can't see it lasting too long. But then again, if it's already been done and proven then I guess it would work - not seen it yet though.

I spose it would be a bit tough on the 99 anyway since the correct setup uses the 3rd pulley on the back of the crank. That's gone from my crank pulley and there are plans to get rid of the second pulley as well.

If you had a 900 you might be able to mount a spare power steering pump at the top of the engine where the AC compressor sits?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts